Freshwater coolant test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lipets

Vessel Make
Benneteau Swift 42
My two engines take about 21 quarts each, is there a way to test it before spending $$$ to replace havoline extended life coolant.

Any CAT dealer sells test strips. I’ll bet any truck part place would too. Truck dealers?

My cooling system is 180 litres

Test strips will tell you if the freezing point is ok. But anti-corrosion additives, etc are just as important. I don't think you can test for those, so replace the coolant every 3-5 years.

David

There are test strips from CAT or NAPA that show pH and nitride level in addition to freeze protection. They are typically for standard SCA compatible coolants. I don't think they work with OAT and similar coolants.

CAT does coolant analysis, just like they do oil analysis. You can send them a sample from each engine and they can give you a report on all sorts of things. I think they often have multiple price points of testing, simple showing the chemical composition of the coolant and current level of protection (FP, BP, anti-corrosion, pH, conductivity). Next level analyzes contaminants and likely sources, e.g. corroded metals, scaling, etc.

If you send your oil to a CAT dealer for analysis -- you can likely send your coolant same place. I'd recommend giving them a call. If not, I'd call whoever you send your oil to. If you don't send oil out, or whever does your oil can't do coolant, I'd call the nearest CAT dealer or CAT-SOS-service provider.

Or, finding the nearest CAT dealer and calling them.

You can ad anti-corrosion, water pump lube, etc., to your existing coolant. Better auto parts stores and truck stops have them.

As mentioned there are test strips that will measure antifreeze concentration and nitrites for corrosion protection.

I agree that Cat will test coolants. The program is called SOS .
I'll guess that other labs do coolant testing also.
Call them.

I've used the Cat SOS for over 30 yrs both for y boat but also at work for out machinery and they have several different testing programs.

In FL 50/50 is not required , the next Ice Age may be on its way , but not soon.

2 gallons of antifreeze per engine , the rest being distilled water , will give better heat transfer than 50/50.

The goodies in antifreeze can become acidic after just sitting to long in the engine.

Think of it as insurance .

Back
Top Bottom