Old 02-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
Fresh Water Flush Your Engines?

Quote:
timjet wrote:

1.* I will however disagree with your opinion that the raw water portion of the engine is usually pretty easily changed if necessary.

2. But a normally aspirated engine without after coolers, fuel coolers, and turbo's is a very different engine.*

1.* That will depend on the engine.* On older ones like our FL120s all the raw water components are easily accessible and easily changed.* And not that expensive although that will depend on how a person defines expensive.* And while we have left much of our engine work like new mounts, new exhaust systems, and*new raw water pumps*to our local diesel shop, it was because*we did not have the time or inclination to do it ourselves.* All of it but the mounts is little more than*"Attach Part A to Part B using fasteners C, D, and E."

*2.* That very well may be.* We don't have those kinds of engines so have no experience with them or personal knowledge of their susceptibility to failure if their raw water systems are not flushed out with fresh water on a regular schedule.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 24th of February 2011 03:48:10 PM

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #22
Guru

RE: Fresh Water Flush Your Engines?

Quote:
Marin wrote:
2.* That very well may be.* We don't have those kinds of engines so have no experience with them or personal knowledge of their susceptibility to failure if their raw water systems are not flushed out with fresh water on a regular schedule.
-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 24th of February 2011 03:48:10 PM

I don't think the light weight high performance diesels are more susceptible to failure than a NA diesel if the raw water systems are not flushed. They do however require more attention because there is more machinery to deal with and it is in contact with salt water. Regular flushing simply reduces but not eliminates the long term effect of marine age on these added components.*

But I am in no way a proponent of these high performance diesels. I had a simple 3 cylinder NA Yanmar on my sailboat that required nothing except oil and impeller changes. I decided to pick up the pace when we moved to the dark side (or rather the admiral did) and the only choice are engines with a bunch of stuff hanging off the sides vastly increasing the potential for failures. I am learning to live with these engines having been scared to death by reading the many problems others have had on the boatdiesel forums. After climbing somewhat of a steep learning curve concerning these diesels I'm hoping I've avoided the most common mistakes. I've got 40 hrs under my belt and so far they've preformed flawlessly.*

timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #23
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

I have seen a couple of boats up to 30+ *ft. that have wrapped a tarp under the boat and filled it with fresh water, so the boat was floating in fresh water not raw water.* I thought that was a great idea?*

The Eagle has been moored in fresh water for 12 years and/or brackish water for 3 years. So I have not flushed the engines and the engines are natural and coolant cooled.* I have adaptors/fitting so they could be flushed. However, the DD 671, Perkins Gen set , and the DD 671exhaust system are higher than the water line, and should drain so the raw water is not in the engine, exchangers and exhaust.**

After 3 years, I had the exchanges clean/inspected and replaced the engine/exchange zincs which were in good shape.*If there is a concern than have them inspected as*its cheaper than having them fail.*

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:38 AM   #24

Fresh Water Flush Your Engines?

With regards to engine flushing, I read an article recently that when you go in for an oil change or basic tune-up, your mechanic may offer an engine flush. Motor flushes are among those services that are offered much more frequently than they are really needed. Source of article: The basics of an engine flush

-- Edited by paulinaM on Wednesday 1st of February 2012 03:41:41 AM
paulinaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:57 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Too true, and that does not just apply to the oil system. More likely you will be offered a coolant flush. This can also be disastrous. How's that you say? Well I once was silly enough to entrust my car to a non-franchise garage which was primarily involvedr in brakes, transmissions and clutches, but branched out into servicing, and my wife bought some vouchers sold at the door for "cheap' services. Well, when time came for a simple service, eg grease, oil, filter and brake check, I thought..."how could it hurt...what could go wrong with them just doing that..?" The answer is plenty. It cost me an engine, I kid you not.
First, without asking they put a pure synthetic oil in it - not recommended in a fairly old engine, though it was running well and not using excess oil. Also very expensive. That was bad enough, but they went even better, and compounded the error by, again without asking, (no doubt trying to impress), put flushing solution in the radiator, advising me when I picked the car up, to "drive it two weeks, then bring it in for a flush and coolant replacement". Well the flush was not done correctly, the apprentice just stuck a hose in the radiator and pulled off the bottom hose, I saw him. I found out later it should never have been done, but if done, then it needed to be a high pressure reverse flush. So, in effect, all the flushing solution did was soften and partly dissolve all the scale harmlessly coating the water jackets, and turn it into a brown sludge, which subsequently got filtered out in the radiator core. When I was driving one day a week or so later, it ruptured the header tank, overheated, and also - not immediately apparent - cracked the head. The radiator was replaced. The company involved refused to take any responsibility. Some time later, unfortunately all happening in slow motion so hard to prove, the oil pressure started falling, and it became apparent the main bearings were gone, because water had been getting into the oil, but in barely noticeable amounts, and the engine was cactus. With main bearings and head ruined, it was cheaper to install a low mileage, second hand engine, but I never got satisfaction over that. I should have taken the risk and sued the pants off them. However, I'm still driving that car, a 1990 Celica GT4, 4WD Turbo, and still love it, and the new engine is a beaut. Moral to story. Don't trust wannabes...and just flush out old coolant occasionally, then replace with new - don't use "special flushing solutions"..!
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:16 AM   #26
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

Most of my cruising is done in salt water, but the boat is docked up a fresh water bayou so gets a fresh water purge at the end of a cruise.
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:15 AM   #27
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

As mentioned by Eric, fresh water flushing can be disastrous if not done correctly. There comes a point that engnie size and setup precludes fresh water flushing. On a Cummins, Cat or ?? with a bad turbo after cooler design, by all means correctly flush. Better yet, update your HX and after*coolers as covered under several warranty and recall instances*by Cat, Cummins etc.

But to think fresh water flushing will prolong the life of every engine and or component*is incorrect.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #28
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
paulinaM wrote:
With regards to engine flushing.................
******** That is a really cool avatar!
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #29
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Willy

Is your genset dry stack too?

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote