"Freeze Spray"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brooksie

Guru
Vessel Name
Island Seeker
Vessel Make
Willard 36 Sedan
Anyone, any experience with "freeze spray" rusted bolt remover? vs: liquids?

Never heard of it how does it work doesn't sound right to me.

used it on a circulation pump bolt. Worked like a champ

Makes perfect sense to me.

Sure why not? Heating nuts is an old trick so chilling bolts is similar.
Long time ago to remove a stuck head bolt I used dry ice on the bolt. It worked, or at least I got it off.

Thanks for replies. Yes, that's the stuff. I was once told that heating the bolt (which I have done many times) expands it, crushing the rust, and as it cools it can be removed. I don't know if this is correct b/c I usually find it turns easy while still hotist. Anyway cooling should be less damaging to everything involved.

The stuffs worthless unless its a small bolt. 1/4" and up it doesnt help because there is too much temp transfer to the surrounding metal.

I snapped a bolt for the elbow off in the exhaust manifold and finally got it out with a propane torch and a pair of vice grips (after squaring the bolt end with a grinder) and a hammer to create sharp impacts to break up the corrosion. I tried 2 cans to no avail.

I hope the TFer replacing his exhaust elbow is following this thread.

Didnt know there was one. I'd be happy to pass it along. Anyone have a guess on the thread title?
It`s "rotten exhaust outlet", I put a post on it he should get.

Thanks for replies. Yes, that's the stuff. I was once told that heating the bolt (which I have done many times) expands it, crushing the rust, and as it cools it can be removed. I don't know if this is correct b/c I usually find it turns easy while still hotist. Anyway cooling should be less damaging to everything involved.

The process I've been shown is to SLOWLY heat the bolt- the surrounding manifold/ etc. shouldn't actually get very warm. Then let it cool for a while. Heating both the threads and surrounding area will usually work for a turn or so- but there is a good risk of galling the threads and damaging them. :thumb:

Often all it takes is a couple of counter-intuitive measures: a gentle tap or two with a hammer, then tighten the bolt before going counter clockwise. Have to admit I have not tried the freeze stuff, sounds slick.

Often all it takes is a couple of counter-intuitive measures: a gentle tap or two with a hammer, then tighten the bolt before going counter clockwise.

I'm not at all a mechanic (or even mechanically inclined), but did watch a good mechanic in a boatyard work on an old Westerbeke that had rusted bolts. He squirted penetrating oil on them, gave gentle taps with a hammer, and then went off and did other stuff. Every now and then he would come back and repeat that process. Finally he took a wrench to it, and just went back and forth, loosening it just a tad, tightening it just a tad, but always the loosening would be a little more than the tightening. A lot of squealing from the bolts, but they all came out intact. I was impressed.

I'm not at all a mechanic (or even mechanically inclined), but did watch a good mechanic in a boatyard work on an old Westerbeke that had rusted bolts. He squirted penetrating oil on them, gave gentle taps with a hammer, and then went off and did other stuff. Every now and then he would come back and repeat that process. Finally he took a wrench to it, and just went back and forth, loosening it just a tad, tightening it just a tad, but always the loosening would be a little more than the tightening. A lot of squealing from the bolts, but they all came out intact. I was impressed.
True John, there is an "art" to it, which is why I would not tackle a job like that, too much can go wrong removing old bolts in that situation.

Back
Top Bottom