Ford lehman pulley conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattle

Vessel Name
Quintana Ro
Vessel Make
Formosa 46
I have a four cylinder 80 hp Ford Lehman. It uses the old style type of V-belt for the alternator. And I’m looking into converting this belt into a serpentine belt. I was wondering how difficult or how easy this would be to change the pulleys on the crank and water pump to serpentine style. And if I would need any special tools like a pull/press

Thanks!!
Matt
Biloxi, MS

Thank you!!! ‘Firefly’ bc of the cool TV series or the new carbon batteries or other?
Just being nosey

Welcome aboard. The Balmar conversion looks nice. I would add American Diesel to your contact list, Brian is the guru for Lehmans.804-435-3107

Welcome aboard :thumb:

In the meantime, I've found that cogged belts last waaay longer than regular v-belts.

What was the cost for the conversion?

I appreciate all the responses. Thank you. But my original concern was how easy was it.? Because this is a project I want to take on solo. A DIY thing.

I have not done it but it looks pretty simple to do. Probably a good starter project.

What was the cost for the conversion?

I paid $450 Canadian for the kit.

http://www.balmar.net/product/altmount-pulley-kits/altmount-pulley-kit-48-fsp-100/

I did have to have some light machining done to get a perfect fit on the crank pulley. Also had to fab up some shims to get the alignment correct. It is a slick installation, and I was able to put a 200amp alternator on it.

I have an 80 hp Lehman and have looked at the serpentine belt system. The PO put in a 100A Balmer alternator and the ARS-5 external regulator. When looking through info on the ARS-5, I came across a video on what it can do and the fact that most people simply install it and never change the factory settings. It can be set to battery type, including the manufacturer's recommended bulk, float, etc. settings, as well as tailored to your boat usage.

One of the settings is for a "Belt Load Manager." Standard 1/2" V belts are supposedly limited to 100A alternators, but with the Balmer Belt Load Manager setting, some have gone with larger alternators using a single belt without issues. Here is a past TF post using a 1/2" belt on a 120A alternator.

If you are looking for a project, a serpentine belt conversion might be a good one. $500 and 10 hours of labor if all goes smoothly. If you are looking to reliably run a 100-120A alternator with your standard belt, the Balmer exterior regulator cost 1/2 as much and 1/10th the install time. Where's the fun in that?

Ten hours to do this job? I think well less than four hours assuming decent access. The crankshaft pulley just bolts directly onto the existing pulley. The water pump pulley is a direct replacement of the existing pulley attached with four bolts. The alternator pulley is held in place with one large gland but. You will spend more time draining the engine block of antifreeze in order to remove that confounded hose that is in the way. Draining and refilling takes about an hour. You will, however, need an impact wrench to get the pulley off of the alternator and likely the water pump as well. I just did this job on a Lehman 120. Not a big deal at all.
I have an 80 hp Lehman and have looked at the serpentine belt system. The PO put in a 100A Balmer alternator and the ARS-5 external regulator. When looking through info on the ARS-5, I came across a video on what it can do and the fact that most people simply install it and never change the factory settings. It can be set to battery type, including the manufacturer's recommended bulk, float, etc. settings, as well as tailored to your boat usage.

One of the settings is for a "Belt Load Manager." Standard 1/2" V belts are supposedly limited to 100A alternators, but with the Balmer Belt Load Manager setting, some have gone with larger alternators using a single belt without issues. Here is a past TF post using a 1/2" belt on a 120A alternator.

If you are looking for a project, a serpentine belt conversion might be a good one. $500 and 10 hours of labor if all goes smoothly. If you are looking to reliably run a 100-120A alternator with your standard belt, the Balmer exterior regulator cost 1/2 as much and 1/10th the install time. Where's the fun in that?

To make more than 100A of alt. a worth the effort you will need a large battery bank or batts that can accept the higher charge rate with out harm.

“I came across a video on what it can do and the fact that most people simply install it and never change the factory settings.“

Could you post a link to that video? Thanks in advance.

Never mind. Found it.

To make more than 100A of alt. a worth the effort you will need a large battery bank or batts that can accept the higher charge rate with out harm.

Is 932 Amp Hours in eight lead acid golf cart batteries large enough?

We have plenty of customers who's battery manufacturer specifies a minimum charge current of .4C or 40A of harge current per 100Ah of battery bank.

Even at .25C, & East Penn flooded golf car batteries can take .3C, that's a 400Ah bank. By today's standards a 400Ah bank is on the small side of average. For our customers with LiFePO4 we are more concerned with burning up the alternator due to the near 100% duty cycle / bulk demand.

Mattle, you got more than you asked for here. But I hope you can see that members are also looking out for you. With all the variables mentioned by members, it's not a black and white issue.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom