Old 01-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
I'm gonna have that done. The boat went on a trip to Catalina Island Sunday and is expected back tueday. The sticker on the oil filter shows it haveing been changed in november of 12. There are detailed records on this boat going back to 1999 and before that it only had one owner which is documented.
A posting in the simgle vs. twins thread got me thinking about the real life of one of these engines. I have a 1975 ford tractor with a similiar engine in it that i drove for 1/4 mile with no oil in it five years ago cause i changed the oil and my neighbor distracted me before i tightened the drain plug and it fell out. I was out brush hogging when i noticed the oil light so i drove back to the farm rthen discovered no plug. Well the tractor runs as good as ever still burns leaks not a drop and no smoke. Its the only tractor i have so it gets quite a bit of use.
I think if the Lehman is built like my tractor it will live a long long time.
Thanks for the information

Britt
In regards to the 1975 Ford tractor incident'
LOL, now that's testament with a bit of "been there, done that" and "how do ya like me now" attitude! I love it!
Thanks Britt! :-)

LA Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #42
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
A slight thread hijack. What's the theory behind opening up the engine to full revs every now and again. My original operating manual notes that at high revs the engine has a tendency to blow blue smoke, unburned diesel.I can't see how that would clear the tubes so to speak. There again I am no mechanic.

Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #43
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Wannabe View Post
In regards to the 1975 Ford tractor incident'
LOL, now that's testament with a bit of "been there, done that" and "how do ya like me now" attitude! I love it!
Thanks Britt! :-)
your wlcome and thanks.
But aint nuttin but a true story. I am one of those guys that has to have everything perfect and has little tolerence for the, 'thats good enough" attitude. But the truth is we all make mistakes like with my poor old tractor and thats what a good engineer designs into his creations. He knows people screw up so he designs a widget that will compensate for those screw ups as much as possible. However, i wish to make it clear that this does not include over building. Over built referrs to a widget that is made much stronger than meeded just to be sure resulting in higher intial cost. That my friend is poor engineering resulting in a clunker. The FL has not proven to be a clunker like the indian sqaure four, etc. but a solid eficient power system.
there is so much out there that is simply produced to get your $$$ with no thought to longevity that one can't help but appreciate widgets like these FL-D power systems.
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #44
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
A slight thread hijack. What's the theory behind opening up the engine to full revs every now and again. My original operating manual notes that at high revs the engine has a tendency to blow blue smoke, unburned diesel.I can't see how that would clear the tubes so to speak. There again I am no mechanic.
Black smoke is unburned diesel fuel blue smoke is motor oil i believe. Anyone know for sure?
Old 01-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #45
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
Black smoke is unburned diesel fuel blue smoke is motor oil i believe. Anyone know for sure?
That is generally correct although I don't think the black smoke is actually unburned fuel. I think it is the result of poor combustion due to too rich a mixture/too much fuel. So perhaps "poorly burned fuel" is a better discription. Rick B could answer this more accurately.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #46
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
That is generally correct although I don't think the black smoke is actually unburned fuel. I think it is the result of poor combustion due to too rich a mixture/too much fuel. So perhaps "poorly burned fuel" is a better discription. Rick B could answer this more accurately.
Poor combustion results from low compression or lack of air or to much fuel in the mixture. To much air dosent result in black smoke but to much fuel does. If the fuel is burnt then the smoke is light colored not black so black smoke must be wasted fuel, hench unburned fuel.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #47
Scraping Paint

City: -
If it was actually unburned fuel it wouldn't be smoke. It would be fuel.

When an old-generation diesel like the FL120 is started cold, the temperature in the combustion chambers is too low to properly ignite all the fuel that's fed into them. So the unburned fuel goes out the exhaust as just that--- unburned fuel--- and it makes a sheen on the water behind the boat. As you know fuel and oil are like blood--- it doesn't take much to look like a lot. So the sheen can be pretty big back there, particulary in the winter.

Once the combustion cylinder temperatures start coming up the combustion becomes more even and all the fuel injected into the cylinder is ignited. At this point unburned fuel is no longer expelled from the cylinders to go out with the exhaust and the sheen goes away.

That's a whole different deal than black smoke. To my way of thinking you don't get smoke unless you burn something. The fact that the smoke is black means the fuel is getting burned, but not efficiently.

Again, I'm not an expert on this so if I'm off base perhaps someone who is like Rick or Tom (Sunchaser) can correct me.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #48
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
If it was actually unburned fuel it wouldn't be smoke. It would be fuel.

When an old-generation diesel like the FL120 is started cold, the temperature in the combustion chambers is too low to properly ignite all the fuel that's fed into them. So the unburned fuel goes out the exhaust as just that--- unburned fuel--- and it makes a sheen on the water behind the boat. As you know fuel and oil are like blood--- it doesn't take much to look like a lot. So the sheen can be pretty big back there, particulary in the winter.

Once the combustion cylinder temperatures start coming up the combustion becomes more even and all the fuel injected into the cylinder is ignited. At this point unburned fuel is no longer expelled from the cylinders to go out with the exhaust and the sheen goes away.

That's a whole different deal than black smoke. To my way of thinking you don't get smoke unless you burn something. The fact that the smoke is black means the fuel is getting burned, but not efficiently.

Again, I'm not an expert on this so if I'm off base perhaps someone who is like Rick or Tom (Sunchaser) can correct me.
most people consider smoke as a discoloration of the air by some foreign substance be it vaporized diesel fuel or wood products. Smoke is a collection of tiny solid, liquid and gas particles like vaporized diesel fuel caused by incomplete combustion.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #49
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
I think the idea is that at high rpm the carbon deposits don't have time to cool so they get hotter and hotter till they vaporize and cause blue smoke. I am a firm believer in fuel additives as a result of years of messing with engines. Some are gimmicks but some do improve lubricity of fuel and remove engine deposits. With modern reformulated D fuel i religiously use affitives, PS from Napa or Amzoil's additi8ve. There is a lab report posted at powerstroke.org listing several of them and what the test results were for each. The bearing scour results were an eye opener.