Ford Lehman bolts, inch, metric,?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can't help much there. I have enough of both that I don't buy sockets anymore except for true oddball situations.

I'll just point out, to me anyways, that one size fits all usually have a big screwup factor somewhere. Some fasteners they will fit well and some not so well. Some metric and inch sizes are dimensionally so close they are interchangeable. Some though, although they may fit, they may damage the fastener if it is tight. Often are good in light duty situations but if you really have to pull hard on the wrench/socket then they can ruin a fastener.

Often a really tight hex head fastener can only be dealt with a six point tool. The 12 points although more universally applicable will ruin the head particularily with smaller fasteners.

I've looked at those sort of semi spline sockets but haven't tried them. I'm sure they would be a good way to keep the tool count down but just be aware that there will be some fasteners they may damage if tight.

If you go that route buy good quality tools and be aware of the limitations.

I bought a set for my son for Christmas...at Lowes on sale so I don't think they were moving well...but the set actually suggested they work well on damaged fasteners.

I told him if they didn't work...then I'd swap a new "normal" set with him.

Eric--- Actually I don't view SAE as "normal." In my world, metric is normal and has been for many, many years. I used the term "normal" in deference to the other posters who were bemoaning the "arrival" of metric to their world. :)

I can no longer visualize a mile. When I think lengths and distances I think in terms of metres and kilometres. I haven't made the mental switch to weights, however. I still think it terms of pounds and ounces, not grams and kilograms.

Yes, had to laugh. When we were in the UK this time last year, and doing a campervan thing before the canal-boat thing, I was intrigued to find that even the UK had gone to litres for fuel, but still miles per hour speeds on the road, and miles distance on the map.

Back
Top Bottom