Old 03-08-2019, 06:48 AM   #1

City: Traverse City, Michigan
Vessel Name: Shangri La
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 Trawler
Ford Lehman 120 Coolant Leak

Coolant in Lehman 120 is topped off and engine will run at normal temp. However, when the engine is shut down I lose almost all the fluid in the expansion tank to the overflow outlet/line.

This hasn't happened before and I am trying to determine what may be the cause of this recent issue. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron Hurd
M/V Shangri La - 46' Cheoy Lee Trawler

RonHurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:07 AM   #2

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Rose Mary
Vessel Model: 42 Grand Banks Motoryacht - 1985
Where does it end up? It just disappears? Or it shows up under the engine?

Westiculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:18 AM   #3
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
If the tank is empty at the end of a cruise and not just dumping at shutdown.....

Start and run engine with cap off...look for bubbles in coolant. If none after a couple minutes increase RPMs to at least 1500 or near cruise RPM and look again.

If you really can't tell, borrow a pressure checker from an auto store. warm up engine with cap off and then secure pressure checker....look for pressure increase.... bleed off and recheck several times.

This is what an experienced mech did to mine and helped me confirm a tiny head gasket leak....also had a very, very TINY amount of oil or soot in coolant tank.

I was losing most of my coolant too. So to help diagnose, I installed the new cap modification and coolant tank kit from American Diesel. Made things easier and at least I wasn't losing the coolant to the bilge each time.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:25 AM   #4

City: Traverse City, Michigan
Vessel Name: Shangri La
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 Trawler
Overflow goes into a jug below the engine. The issue is: why is all the coolant being discharged in the overflow line after shutting down the engine.

Thanks,
RonHurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:33 AM   #5
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Are you referring to the plastic coolant recovery tank? That should be on the empty side when engine is cold. It will gradually fill as the engine warms and coolant expands. Reverse as engine cools.
Cigatoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:32 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigatoo View Post
Are you referring to the plastic coolant recovery tank? That should be on the empty side when engine is cold. It will gradually fill as the engine warms and coolant expands. Reverse as engine cools.
I f one hasn't done the filler neck and cap modification, there is no "recovery tank" and sihoning back.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:45 AM   #7
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Ok...No plastic bottle
ďHowever, when the engine is shut down I lose almost all the fluid in the expansion tank to the overflow outlet/line.Ē

Try a new radiator cap. Probably a standard 13 lb automotive cap will work. Someone correct me if I am wrong on the pressure relieve.
Cigatoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:12 PM   #8
Guru

I am not positive but I think Lehman 120s have an 4 PSI cap standard...but is is not like standard caps as it is not designed for coolant recovery....not sure what the modded neck cap is...

https://www.fredwarner1.net/product/...iABEgIqRPD_BwE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lehman-2c302-01.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	86195  
Old 03-08-2019, 10:18 PM   #9
Guru

City: Trenton
Don't put on a standard automotive radiator cap. It has way too high a pressure for the Lehman. You should be able to get the correct cap from American Diesel.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:56 PM   #10
Guru

City: B.C.
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
Be aware of what PSNEELD described as it can cause this while an engine operates. However once the engine is shut off then compression leaks should be gone I expect so the pressure will dissipate and not push the coolant out.

Another cause could be when the engine is shut down some areas in the block, head and manifold cooling system may actually boil the coolant with out the circulation from the running engine. THat will raise pressure in the whole system forcing coolant out after shutdown. If this is going on then it may be time to clean and inspect the system for border line cooling capacity from fouling or wear in some areas.

It does sound like you have a recovery system. The fact that there is a hose from the filler neck to a bottle says it has been installed. It simply may not be working properly any longer.

Does or did the coolant pull back in as the engine cools down? Don't open the cap or the vacuum will be lost and the coolant will not pull back.

Did it used to fill the recovery bottle as the engine heated and then pull the coolant back in as the engine cooled down? If it did then the cap sounds like it is a proper coolant recovery type cap.

If it no longer pulls the coolant back upon cool down then the cap has failed and should be replaced.
I will point out this feature can fail for other reasons such as a dirty sealing area at the neck and the cap or a loose hose clamp or two somewhere in the coolant system which allows air in as the engine cools defeating the recovery function.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:53 PM   #11

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Spinner
Vessel Model: 2003 Nordic Tug 42
I can’t speak to that exact engine, but I had a case of the disappearing coolant recently. It turned out to be a failing heater core (red dot heater). NOW I have shut-off valves for the coolant hoses that go to the (new) red dot heater and to the hot water tank...it might be worth checking....

Sue
42 Nordic Tug Spinner
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Toms River, no
Call Brian from AD if he donít no nobody will
slowjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:21 PM   #13
Guru

I have Lehman experience,I`m no mechanic,and have Mercruiser overflow recovery bottles fitted.
From my motor sport days, it was not unusual for an engine to effectively boil if shut down suddenly after a high speed run. Idling the engines down might help.
Are your engines running hot in any event? That might exacerbate the process. Lehmans can develop blocking/silting at no.6 cylinder cooling passages, another potential exacerbation. Maybe take a look at what happens just after shut down.
The cap is 4psi, slightly higher if the ADC recovery kit is fitted.
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:41 PM   #14
Guru

City: B.C.
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
I have Lehman experience,I`m no mechanic,and have Mercruiser overflow recovery bottles fitted.
From my motor sport days, it was not unusual for an engine to effectively boil if shut down suddenly after a high speed run. Idling the engines down might help.
Are your engines running hot in any event? That might exacerbate the process. Lehmans can develop blocking/silting at no.6 cylinder cooling passages, another potential exacerbation. Maybe take a look at what happens just after shut down.
The cap is 4psi, slightly higher if the ADC recovery kit is fitted.

Better explanation than mine of the why the boil . Are you doing an abrupt shutdown after a run? I don't believe in a long cool down but I won't come in hard and then kill the engine. Usually though getting to a slip or finding the perfect anchoring spot is more than enough cool down time.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:16 PM   #15

City: Annandale, VA
Vessel Name: Valkyrie
Vessel Model: Grand Banks Eastbay 43
Possible leak in Heat Exchanger

Hi, I recently had a problem where the coolant level was fine with the engine running, but would lose about a quart after the engine was shut down and cooled off. No coolant leak inside the boat, nor to the oil, etc.

Turned out to be a leak within the heat exchange. As boat cooled, raw water pressure went down, but coolant pressure still high. Forced fluid into the raw water side.

Good luck,
Ardell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:56 PM   #16

City: Rockland
Vessel Name: Guinness
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42
I just pulled my mixing elbow to check it and had to put a new gasket on and forgot to re-tighten after running the engine which ended up as coolant loss. In my case there was crystal buildup around the joint so it was pretty obvious. If you end up opening that joint Brian said to use Permatex on the manifold side of the gasket.
Bob Johnson
Guinness
KK 4241
Searunner37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:59 PM   #17

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. Owned wooden 1972 Grand Banks 42 from 1986 to 2015
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
I have not seen here where the coolant recovery bottle/expansion tank neck modification was completed. What Searunner 37 MAY have is an unmodified engine with the original overflow tube going into a bottle under the engine as many people have done. If the modification has been dome, the new coolant expansion tank neck is a piece of bronze, and rather than the single action 4 PSI cap in a photo earier in this thread, there is a new 7 PSI DOULBLE ACTING radiator cap (as supplied by Brian at American Diesel) in place which allows the fluid to be sucked back into the engine as the engine cools.

This seemingly sudden expulsion of the coolant after shutdown could be the result of several things, a faulty unmodified overflow, heat pockets in the engine after shutdown and a faulty old-style single acting radiator cap.

I would suggest getting the modification made and mounting th recovery bottle level with the expansion tank. As a minimum, change the radiator cap, whichever style it is.

Think about flushing the engine's coolant system with some motor flush.

Several decades of living with two of these wonderful engine speaking here.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:14 AM   #18

City: Fremantle
I'm no mechanic either...

We had a similar issue with our lehman. Tuens out I had been over filling the header tank. There was no room in the header tank for it to expand and it was simply discharging into the overflow. Now I leave a much more generous gap and no longer have issues.
mlaloli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:10 AM   #19

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. Owned wooden 1972 Grand Banks 42 from 1986 to 2015
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
maloli, you describe exactly what happened to both my FL120s BEFORE I made the modofication to the filler necks on the expansion tank. After I made the fix, the expansion tanks were always maintained completely full, just like I find on my cars with odern, double-acting radiator caps. I highly recommend the mod!
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:44 PM   #20

City: Rockland
Vessel Name: Guinness
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
I have not seen here where the coolant recovery bottle/expansion tank neck modification was completed. What Searunner 37 MAY have is an unmodified engine with the original overflow tube going into a bottle under the engine as many people have done. .
I might have confused the matter so here is a photo of my coolant recovery and one pointing to the gasket in question.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190319_133719.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	86536   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190319_133739.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	86537  

Searunner37 is offline   Reply With Quote