Old 04-24-2016, 12:13 PM   #41
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
I have a FL 120 (one of a pair) on a President 41 Trawler. I have been driven to distraction by a constant "Ticking" sound in the after part of the top end of the engine. I have done all the expected things and cannot find a problem. Engine performs fine, no smoke to speak of, plenty of power but it still makes noise. This has gone on for about 2 years now. Engine has about 3300 hours. Oil analysis shows nothing out of the ordinary. Can someone advise on this. My best mechanic says maybe "Piston Slap".
Valve lash checked? Also try cracking individual inj lines and see if it is diesel knock. Slap will persist even with injector canceled.

Piston slap can come from too loose a fit between piston and bore. But it is generally harmless unless really excessive. If engine had a piston failure in the past and someone honed the crap out the bore to clean it up, you will have slap. But if no other symptoms, it can run dang near forever like that.

Provided it is slap.

On a Lehman #6 I would rather have piston fit too loose than too tight!!!

Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 01:18 PM   #42

City: Sebastian
Thanks Ski

I have checked the lash as well as fuel system knocking. Both negative. Guess it will remain a mystery.

Mike W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 01:24 PM   #43

City: Mahón, Menorca
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 50
Ski, I think i am going to cancel my subscription in boatdiesel.com and simply ask ask you for your knowledgeable advice here and save some money to spend more in my boat!
Old 04-24-2016, 03:05 PM   #44
Veteran Member

City: Corona
Vessel Name: SCRAMBLER
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 32 #536
Video piston slap 2714 #6
Busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:40 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Sorry my video did no upload
Old 05-10-2016, 11:01 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Piston slap lehman 120 2714 #6 https://vimeo.com/166044459?utm_sour...campaign=29220
Old 05-10-2016, 11:06 AM   #47

City: Sebastian
Thank. That is exactly what mine sounds like. Any recommendations or should I just live with it?
Mike W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:19 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Make sure it is piston slap I did a oil analyst and had high amounts of aluminum and other metals in the report. I've been told a bad injector can make a similar sound. Lehman 120 Piston slap
Old 05-10-2016, 06:19 PM   #49
Guru

City: kemah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busterbrown View Post
Make sure it is piston slap I did a oil analyst and had high amounts of aluminum and other metals in the report. I've been told a bad injector can make a similar sound. Lehman 120 Piston slap
So, it's been almost a year now for yours. Hows ole #6 holding up for you?
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:53 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Mr Barnacles It is running great no more knocking and the oil looks good I have put 80 hours on the engine and will change the oil soon l will send out a sample for an oil analysis and post the results
Old 05-10-2016, 07:21 PM   #51
Guru

Thats very reassuring. I will before too long also repair a #6, and was hoping to follow your method.

Oh, and I'm glad for you too. LOL
Old 09-04-2017, 02:36 PM   #52
Veteran Member

City: Channel Islands
Well - I finally have the necessity for further exploration of my "bad cylinder" problem.

One fine evening a couple of weeks back while leaving the harbor my engine seized. At least thats what appears to have happened.

I have removed my head expecting to find either a damaged #6 piston/cylinder or a stuck valve (causing all my smoke( but as far as I can see there is no apparent damage - at least not to the piston head and not stuck valve. Of course as fate would have it numbers 1 and 6 are at the very top of their cycle so I cannot see either cylinder . On those I can only see the piston heads which look fine though the $6 seems to have more carbon than #1.

Im trying to figure out next steps and what could be causing the engine to not turn over. My connections are all good and the start is definitely attempting to turn the engine. Ive tried wrenching it over on the flywheel but no luck there either.

Any ideas about what I should look at next? My current theory is that its either a bearing or a piece of broken transmission is gumming up the works.

Ive attached some photos of the head bottom (valves). I don't have a lot of experience so I am not sure if it looks good bad or ugly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EntireHead.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	68294   Click image for larger version

Name:	4-5-6.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	68295   Click image for larger version

Name:	456_2nd.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	68296  
mplangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:37 PM   #53
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
The mech that looked at mine in Wilmington, NC said no problem rebuilding in place on my boat, but lots of space around a single.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:54 PM   #54
Guru

bummer.

disconnect the shift cable and see if you can move the shift lever through the gears easily. make sure you feel it pass thru the detents. Then put it in neutral and see if the engine rolls over.

The #4 looks like it has rust, and thats not good. If the engine hydrolocked while under power it could have bent some connecting rods.

If you cant roll the engine over in neutral then you have to beat the siezed pistons out. Then if you have enough sleeve left to bore out its time for that.

Me, personally, I wouldnt stick another nickel in it. Replace it with a cummins natually aspirated. Way cheaper, rugged, and parts are everywhere for far less than lehmans. I am putting this one in my boat. I pet it everytime I am at the storage....

Cummins 6B5.9-M diesel
Old 09-04-2017, 04:07 PM   #55
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Amazing you got it to run for all this time. I think it is number 6 - very well-known failure. Lots of information on that, number 6 fails and rubs on the cylinder wall, destroying the piston and the cylinder wall. I would pull that piston out, dollars to doughnuts its only number 6 and that's why it seized.

Did you call Industrial engines? They will sell you a long block and you get to buy it with Loonies.

You still don't know if its the engine or the transmission but its rare to be that. Better find that out first, the transmission will have to come off anyway although you can haul it out with it attached. Did it overheat or just stop? Yes, you can rebuild it in place but if you haul it up into the salon it will be much easier to manipulate. And, if you get it into the salon you can just slide it out the rear door and get it done in a real shop. Or replace it.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:40 PM   #56

City: Camarillo
Seized engine - FL-120

Mike,

Sorry to hear the engine seized.

With the head off, can you move the crank with a breaker bar in any direction at all ?
Try soaking the rings while the head is off with some solvent & then again to attempt to move crankshaft forward then back several times.

Usually when this happens in a FL diesel it is the piston seized in the cylinder bore. Metal transfer from the piston to the cylinder walls will lock it up solid. Often you do more damage to block when removing the piston when still in the boat.

major internal damage can happen.

Your engine was overhauled not that long ago. Do you have any history or info on that, as to the what happened & how it was repaired, what parts installed, etc.. ?

Does not sound good for this engine. Some guys can bore the block in place, but not that I would recommend that, as to do a proper hone job you have to hone cylinders with a machine like the "Sunnen CK-10" or the newest one that is now called the " Sunnen SV-10 " cylinder hone machine to make the bore as close to perfect so it does not happen again. Other wise history may repeat itself.

Let me know if I can help as I am local.

As soon as my wife is better we can pull the FL-120 out of my boat & you can use that good one.

Thanks.

Alfa Mike
alfamike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:36 PM   #57
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
Could be a failed damper plate. The springs fail and get jammed between the plate and block. You need to slide the trans back to check it out. You just need enough room to get a mirror in there. If you have the head off and can't turn the crank I'd bet on the plate.
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:37 PM   #58
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian View Post
Could be a failed damper plate. The springs fail and get jammed between the plate and block. You need to slide the trans back to check it out. You just need enough room to get a mirror in there. If you have the head off and can't turn the crank I'd bet on the plate.
Just went through all that myself...but pretty sure it was my dampner plate in North Carolina acting up, engine siezed up about 600 miles and 200 hrs later.....pulled tranny, yep.

Did the head gasket afterward though for a slight combustion to coolant leak if that thread comes up.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:29 AM   #59
Guru

Makes me wonder if there isnt an hour rating for damper plates.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:32 AM   #60
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by what_barnacles View Post
Makes me wonder if there isnt an hour rating for damper plates.
Trouble is the older design ones with springs corrode to failure to a point....plus if you have a lot of vibration at low rpms and have to sit there (as in bridges and locks), that shortens its life.

But the feeling I got with my research is 2500 to 3000 hours is expected, over that is anyones guess.

Because my engine was a rebuilt, I have no idea what the PO put in new at the time...it failed at 2900.