Ford Lehman 120 Alternator Belt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Catalina Jack
Vessel Make
Defever 44
Does anybody have a cross-reference for the ADC 821-0209 belt? This is the American Diesel part number and I would like to source the belts locally.

Napa Premium 25-7460....but just got one at O'Rielly's Auto parts easily cross referenced to the 27-7460 number.

The original on there when I bought the boat was 10mmx1185mm

but I have been using the Gates/Napa belts for the last few.

Good to see this - belt replacement is on my "to do" in the next 30-45 days before we go back into the water. Thank you

mike

I need to replace the belts on our FL120s. The PO used Gates 9470s (13mm x 1200mm) and they have been on for at least 5 years and @600 hours. Although they still look fine, I don't wish to tempt fate. I think I'll go with those, but find it interesting that others recommend using 10mm width belts.

We also have an on-deck hydraulic drum windlass that is powered by the starboard engine. I've had to replace a few of those belts over the years, and just had one snap in two with very little use on it. Those have all been 10mm wide belts, because I put on what the PO had used. But now I'm thinking maybe that should be a 13mm belt also, as it's running on a double pulley (and like I said, the 13mm alternator belt is still fine).

What is the conventional wisdom on using a belt of a particular width?

What is the conventional wisdom on using a belt of a particular width?

I am running 1/2 inch width belts on my alternator and on my hydraulic thruster.
They fill up the grove in the pulleys as they should.
My thruster runs off double groove pulleys and I use a matched set of "green stripe" industrial belts.

My "wisdom" may not be conventional.

You want the sides of the belt to contact the sides of the pulley, not riding on the bottom of the belt and the bottom of the pulley. Usually if the belt is the correct width it will be riding slightly above the pulley.

Back
Top Bottom