Old 07-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #1

City: Jamestown, Ca.
Vessel Name: Down East Yankee
Vessel Model: Defever 40 by Down East
Ford-Fiat SSD-655M

Good day all. I am looking for any information or personal experience regarding the Ford SSD-655M engine. I was in the final process of buying a '79 Defever Downeast 40, doing the sea trial, survey and haul out. It is a single screw and was suppose to have a FL 120 engine. Turns out it is a Ford-Fiat Industrial SSD-655M. The engine serial number starts out 8061.04*05, so it appears to have lineage with the Aifo Iveco 8061M04. Most of the marinizing components appear to be Bowman. From what I have found on the net and talking to parts suppliers, this engine model was made for only a few years from the late '70's to early '80's. Only a couple of old time marine engine mechanics have ever seen one and so far, parts seem to be very hard to come by. Engine has about 3200 hours and records all the way back through the original owner reflect that it was maintained properly. During the sea trial, the surveyor took temperature readings off of each exhaust flange and all looked good. I have accepted that at some point I will need to re-engine, but for now, I am going to try to make this one work. Anybody have experience with these or know where to get engine parts?
remwines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Call David at Klassen Engines in Ballard in Seattle. Klassen is selling Ivecos now. I assume you've looked for an Iveco dealer in your area. Klassen is mainly an Isuzu dealer but sell Mitsubishi and others. They've been around a long time and probably know something about that engine. I don't.

I was in the same position about two years ago looking at a 32 Nordic Tug that had a turbo 6 cyl Yanmar Blue in color probably about 25 years old. The distributor (Cascade engines) in Seattle hardly knew they existed. I'm almost positive your Iveco situation will be better than that.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
Guru

If you like this engine I have a 1979 Fiat Spider you might like also!!
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjs View Post
If you like this engine I have a 1979 Fiat Spider you might like also!!

Oh good. I can park it next to my '69 MGBGT
Old 07-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #5

Thanks Eric. I did call Don at PowerTech Engines in Fresno, Ca. which is about two from me. He can get some of the old stuff, but his records only go back to the 8061M05 engine and this one is an 8061M04. I will give Klassen a try.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 09-13-2016, 02:47 AM   #6

City: Lihue
Hi Bob, I have a same engine and I may be interested in yours for spare parts , so if you ever want to get rid of your engine, please let me know.
marcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel View Post
Hi Bob, I have a same engine and I may be interested in yours for spare parts , so if you ever want to get rid of your engine, please let me know.
Hi Marcel. Welcome to the Trawler Forum. I recently re-powered the boat and the Ford SSD-655M with Velvet Drive transmission is sitting in my shop. I'll send you a private message and go from there.

Bob
Old 03-23-2017, 09:00 PM   #8

City: West Palm Beach
Hi do you still have the Fiat engine?
Davey2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:03 PM   #9

I would be interested in purchasing it if it's still running. I have one in my charter boat that's in poor condition.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:12 PM   #10

"I would be interested in purchasing it if it's still running. I have one in my charter boat that's in poor condition."

Davey2000: A lot of the accessories have already been pulled off and sent to a nice fellow with a charter boat in Hawaii. I basically have a long block, head, flywheel, bellhousing, trans and some other things. If I can help you out with some parts, send me a personal message of what you may be looking for.

Bob
Old 03-24-2017, 03:56 AM   #11

Fiat

Oh great you may have what I'm looking for. The parts are associated with the raw water pump. I will send you a parts diagram and what I need from it. My email is dcfar82@yahoo.com if we can contact via email would be easier for me. My engine is in the Bahamas.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:10 AM   #12

I can't seem to post a pic of the diagram on here but can send it to you via your email address. I have a new water pump. What I'm missing is the parts between the engine an the raw water pump that help contact the 2. Theirs a coupling an bushing according to the diagram. I'm sure theirs others parts I would be interested in purchasing from you later on.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:25 AM   #13

I will email you.