Old 10-05-2014, 01:56 AM   #21

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Selah
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 40
I'd be delighted to be proven wrong about this.

A constructive approach to the OP would be to suggest scoping the cylinders and doing a compression test, either leak-down or direct. Both require removing the injectors which may or may not be an easy chore and may or may not entail removing and reinstalling the rocker shaft assembly. If you are the one doing the work, you get to choose which way. If you are paying someone to do it, you get to see which way they do it.

av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:02 AM   #22
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Av8r, check out post number 7.
You seem somewhat grumpy about injectors. They come out just fine without removing the rockers. You'll have to trust me on this, unless you want to pop the top off one of your engines and just try it? Give you an excuse to check and adjust the valves...

Old 10-05-2014, 03:50 AM   #23
Guru

I wouldn`t mind hearing from the OP how the search for a cause is going?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:58 AM   #24

City: Whangarei
Vessel Name: Whakata
Vessel Model: Steel 35ft custom
Hi Again

After removing the gearbox i have been able to establish that the lockup was caused by my gearbox after all, being an old Capitol 2HDEC8900 parts are very rare, now looking for a replacement gearbox.
Thanks to all for the pointers
KiwiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #25
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
KiwiExplorer

An active and relevant thread on TF is "how often does one change oil in a gear box or transmission?" Changing TX oil and looking for bits and pieces can help foretell looming issues

Any bits and pieces show up from your regular oil changes or idea as to cause of your TX failure? Don't the Capitol boxes have a magnetic drain plug? What does it show now?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:59 PM   #26

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiExplorer View Post
Hi Again

After removing the gearbox i have been able to establish that the lockup was caused by my gearbox after all, being an old Capitol 2HDEC8900 parts are very rare, now looking for a replacement gearbox.
Thanks to all for the pointers

So your engine wasn't "toast" after all?
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:22 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
KiwiExplorer

An active and relevant thread on TF is "how often does one change oil in a gear box or transmission?" Changing TX oil and looking for bits and pieces can help foretell looming issues

Any bits and pieces show up from your regular oil changes or idea as to cause of your TX failure? Don't the Capitol boxes have a magnetic drain plug? What does it show now?
I have only owned the boat for 18 months, so the history is unknown, I did notice that the prop would turn slowly in neutral, This I recently discovered is a sign that the clutch plates are on their way out. When taking out the gearbox and checking in the bottom there were some very fine filings, not much though.
I have contacted the Capitol guys and they helped me identify the gearbox model but have not been able to tell me what spares are available. Considering that it is very old, I have decided to look at replacement with a more current box, this way I can manage the maintenance and know that I have a reliable transmittion with parts available should it be required. Sometimes its better to replace than to try spend good money after bad.
On top of the new gearbox Im in for matching bell housing, damper plates and having the gearbox to shaft coupling re engineered. all part of owning a boat with older engine and gear train. (BOAT: Bring On Another Thousand)
The good news is I can get it all done before this summer and should have a great season.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:24 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
So your engine wasn't "toast" after all?
No the engine is not toast, some good to go with the not so good
Old 10-12-2014, 10:36 AM   #29
FF
Guru

Considering that it is very old, I have decided to look at replacement with a more current box,

Look at the Twin Disc selection.These are commercial grade , and can easily be found rebuilt .

Look in https://www.boats-and-harbors.com/ both the classifies and advertisement sections.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:45 AM   #30
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Kiwi- What has convinced you that the gearbox was in bad enough shape to cause a lockup? That is a fairly rare scenario. It can happen where the clutches not being used get hot and seize, that can be determined by blue steel discs, burn clutch facing and burnt oil. Did gear case ever get super hot?

Just trying to make sure you are on the right path...
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:20 PM   #31
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Kiwi

Does the prop shaft turn freely with the transmission disconnected?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:55 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Kiwi- What has convinced you that the gearbox was in bad enough shape to cause a lockup? That is a fairly rare scenario. It can happen where the clutches not being used get hot and seize, that can be determined by blue steel discs, burn clutch facing and burnt oil. Did gear case ever get super hot?

Just trying to make sure you are on the right path...
Hi
I pulled the gearbox off and the engine turned fine,
Just as i was losing hope I heard back from the Capitol guys with a full service manual and a conformation that service parts are still available. Today I pulled the gearbox apart and removed the clutch assembly, when turning the center spline i could feel a rough spot, after turning clock and anti clock wise by hand it locked up proving that I had found the problem.
I have passed the clutch assembly to an old timer mechanic to take apart and check for the failed part, fingers crossed it may only need a new bearing.

The last 24hrs i went from disaster to hopeful so I will be keeping my old capitol after all, I believe that they are pretty bullet proof if maintained well, mine is a very early model late 60's so knowing spares are available is awesome and will save me thousands in installing a brand new gearbox.

Lesson learnt is don't give up to soon. (unless you have money to burn)

From the comments and threads it is a highly unusual problem, For the future I have learned to write down as much info as i can at the time of something going wrong. so diagnosing a problem is easier, when the Sh!t hits the fan you don't remember the exact details of everything you check like can you turn the engine in both directions, is the shaft locked up etc etc, especially with intermittent issues.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:58 AM   #33

Untill we do an autopsy on the clutch assembly I wont know exactly what the cause is, the oil was not burnt and the gearbox did not overheat, thus I am hoping that it was just a bearing loosing a bit the got caught in the gears, I will let you all know once the cause has been confirmed

Tags
ford, hydrolocked, locked up