Old 04-23-2015, 02:27 PM   #41
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
meridian,
We must have different problems .. mine has a color mostly like farmer type apple juice. Amber. Nothing like black. I'm fine w a thread highjack to sort out Terry's black plague. I yeild the floor .. or tank .. or whatever.
I filled up a gallon jug at the local filling station (for cars) and the fuel was that exact color... Not the reddish typical of Marine fuel..

On the Black, check out Asphaltines... Documented in this thread:

Funky Fuel filters....>>

Old 04-23-2015, 11:33 PM   #42
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
Take a sample and send it in to your local lab.

Cat SOS will have a lab somewhere close.

Find out what you have and don't guess.

If it is water , emulsified from an additive, that water once into the injection system can cause rusting if allowed to sit.

Our fuel is relatively clear with a slight yellowish cast, not cloudy, unless DARNED cold which should not be your situation.

You likely have several hundreds of dollars of fuel. The injection system damage will cost a bomb to repair.

A test kit is ~ 25.00, a good investment, to KNOW what you are dealing with. Then you can make an informed decision. All you have now is guesswork.

C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:36 PM   #43
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
--------------
"It could also be that his aluminum tanks were made with the wrong alloy and are oxidizing. Since aluminum oxide is nearly as hard as diamond it can cause serious damage to a diesel's fuel pump and injectors."
Sorry folks, my friend meant this part of his e-mail as a joke. Shows what happens when someone totally ignorant on the subject (me) sees something that sounds plausible but isn't and passes it on.

However, ignorant or not, I believe the smart course of action would be to have the fuel checked by a lab or a process that can say for sure what the contaminants are if one has thoughts of running the boat on the stuff.

Or..... simply pump it out of the boat and replace it with fresh fuel.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:55 AM   #44
Guru

City: Fort Myers
The red dyed fuel means there is no road tax applied to it, over the road trucks are not allowed to run red dyed fuel, hence why at all marina's I've fueled up at had red dyed fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
I filled up a gallon jug at the local filling station (for cars) and the fuel was that exact color... Not the reddish typical of Marine fuel..

]
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:20 AM   #45
FF
Guru

The Euros use died fuel , as we do to seperiate house fuel from over the road diesel.

In the constant battle with the tax folks , cars and trucks are stopped and the tanks dipped to see the fuel color.

Some folks would block off the outside fuel fill at the tank and install an internal fill , leaving "proper fuel" in the fill pipe to be viewed with the dip.

The tax folks figured this out and now have a book that details how long the fill pipe AND tank are , so the dip rag can be inserted long enough.

The solution of course is to have the orig fill pipe extended full tank width , and sealed , so the measurement comes out correct.

MAD mag used to have Spy vs Spy , the battle still goes on world wide as folks refuse to be extorted by their locals with taxing powers.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:25 AM   #46
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
I dont get it, its a 100 bucks worth of fuel. Maybe 30 gallons, get rid of it and stop worrying. Tell the local fishermen its free and they will come and get it. I would not risk a pump failure for $100.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:44 AM   #47
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
I dont get it, its a 100 bucks worth of fuel. Maybe 30 gallons, get rid of it and stop worrying. Tell the local fishermen its free and they will come and get it. I would not risk a pump failure for $100.
been wondering about all the debate too....other than identifying the source...I probably throw away that much in paint a year from leftovers I don't trust and in that case it could be removed for cheap...not like damaging engine parts.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:09 AM   #48
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
I don't think the fuel per se is the issue. He wants to know caused it and if there is some other maintenance action he needs to take. I would have same concern. The real issue is why did this occur.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:32 AM   #49
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Kulas44,
You've got my number right. That's exactly what I'm going to do. I'm think'in if I keep "BioBore" in the new fuel it won't happen again. I stopped using the BioBore a time or two and then let it sit for over two years.

Thank's everybody for the useful info and the interesting reading.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote