Old 03-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Flushing the cooling system

I have a couple of cooling questions.

I have a plan to flush out the heat exchanger with Peak radiator flush. Reading the directions, it's a pretty involved process of drain, fill with water, run to temp, drain, fill with water again (I assume to get the coolant out of the block that is behind the thermostat). Then fill with water and flush and run for a few hours with just the flush/water combo. Any pointers you all can give here? It seem pretty straight-forward. Is there any danger to running with just water or in leaving the flush/water mixture in the cooling system for a week between our trips?

Thanks.
Tom-

Old 03-25-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
FF
Guru

A good flush system will have a cleaner , then a nutrelizer as part of the kit.

Yes flushing multiple times is a chore but required,enjoy!

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #3
Guru

Hmmm... A multi-part system? I must know more! If there was a "tool" I could use... A portal or maybe some kind of engine that would allow me to conduct a search of the web. Lemme think. LoL!

Should the thermostats be removed for this process?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:01 AM   #4
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
What does the stuff do? Do you have the keel coolers? I just used a wet vac and blew the water out.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:12 AM   #5
Guru

Clean any possible scale deposits out of the heat exchanger and water jackets in the engine.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
Guru

So i nust finished flushing the cooling system. Basically, I chickened out of using the flushing fluid. What I did was just flush with clean water five times. I drained the heat exchanger, filled with clean water, run engine to temp, then repeat four more times. Then today I just blasted the hose thru it until the water ran clear. Took about 25 gallons.

My cooling system holds 5 gallons total and the heat exchanger holds about 2.5 gallons. When I was done flushing out as much of the old coolant, i just filled the tank with 100% Fleet Charge coolant and run engine up to temp one more time to mix coolant charge to 50-50 mix

That should do for a year or two.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
So did you get a good look at, or better yet pull the heat exchanger itself and see what condition it is in?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:10 AM   #8
Guru

Nope.

Certainly, had I attempted such a feat, I would have shared it here
Old 03-31-2013, 10:50 AM   #9
Guru

When was the last time the H/E was checked and cleaned? They really need attention in our waters. I have mine done every couple of years. Also when was the last time the cooling system was actually cleaned vs flushed? If it has been awhile you will probably be amazed at what comes out when you do. By the way, here is IMO the best stuff for these exercises:

Marine | PenrayPenray

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 03-31-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
Guru

Not in the four years I have had it. I feel like if it was showing signs of overheating, I would go that route, but I am well within spec temps (190 degrees). I will talk to my trusted marine engine tech and see what they recommend. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:08 PM   #11
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
I always check my coolant with an ohm meter. This will show the current that the coolant is drawing and the electrolysis it's creating inside your engine eating away at the internal metal. It's best to change out coolant every 2 or 3 years regardless of hours on the engine. Antifreeze becomes acidic over time and acid with dissimilar metals makes electricity.

When I replace my coolant I always flush my engine a few times and I replace it with a 50/50 mix using distilled water so I don't make solids in the engine with mineral deposits.

When I clean out the salt side of the heat exchangers I use a mild acid and let it work about 30 minutes then start the engine. When I go aft and look at the water I can see small pieces of mineral or salt chunks coming out. I can inspect the exchangers by opening the end cap.

To test the coolant. Take your VOM meter and set it on the lowest DC setting. Place the positive in the coolant not the over flow tank and the neg against the block. It should read under .10 volts and .3 is acceptable but anything over that is bad.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthead View Post
I always check my coolant with an ohm meter. This will show the current that the coolant is drawing and the electrolysis it's creating inside your engine eating away at the internal metal. It's best to change out coolant every 2 or 3 years regardless of hours on the engine. Antifreeze becomes acidic over time and acid with dissimilar metals makes electricity.

When I replace my coolant I always flush my engine a few times and I replace it with a 50/50 mix using distilled water so I don't make solids in the engine with mineral deposits.

When I clean out the salt side of the heat exchangers I use a mild acid and let it work about 30 minutes then start the engine. When I go aft and look at the water I can see small pieces of mineral or salt chunks coming out. I can inspect the exchangers by opening the end cap.

To test the coolant. Take your VOM meter and set it on the lowest DC setting. Place the positive in the coolant not the over flow tank and the neg against the block. It should read under .10 volts and .3 is acceptable but anything over that is bad.
Thanks for the tip. That's a new one to me, will have to try it. I use the little "litmus test" strips from Penray or Detroit Diesel.

I just as soon not wait for the engine to start running hot as a way of determining if the HE is getting clogged. Kind of like waiting for your engine to start stalling out as a way of deciding when to change the fuel filters.
I am not sure there is a similar way to determine if your turbo intercoolers (or aftercoolers as the case may be) are getting clogged either, but I'm not going to wait around and find out....

Old 04-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #13
Guru

I pull all heat exchangers apart every 3 years or so and clean them out with muratic acid, bore brushes, then flush clean, reseal and paint.
Last time I did that (a year ago) I found one the main mounting plate had broken at the braze joint. I don't know if I would have spotted that if I didn't completely remove it.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:46 AM   #14
FF
Guru

A quick underway check is to use a heat measuring gun on the output side of the cooler where the sea water leaves.

Under 140F is required ,lower is better! otherwise salt is slowly plugging the heat exchanger.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #15
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
I have a not so funny story about Muriatic acid. Several boats down from me is a Striker with twin Cat's in it. Their friend was telling them to flush with it to get all the salt build up out of their cooling system. They went out and bought nine gallons of it and flushed and flushed and flushed. When they tried to start one engine the acid had eaten all the way through and water was inside two cylinders. They hydrolocked it. They had to tear the engine down and do a rebuild.

A little goes a long way with that acid. I use a mild phosphoric acid like lime away and it works fine and will wash away with water.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Espoo
Vessel Name: Carpe Diem
Vessel Model: Storebro 34
Would citric acid do the trick? It's safe (classified as foodstuff) and can be discharged as normal waste.

I have used it in getting rid of rust from pot iron parts and especially when it is heated it works wonders in rust removal purposes.
tiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #17

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Pioneer
Vessel Model: Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure
Don't know about citric acid, but I do use it to descale the coffee maker!

For the HE, I use white vinegar. Empty the HE, fill with vinegar, leave for a few days then empty and turn the raw water intake back on.

I do this every 2 years and notice a few degrees drop in operating temp each time.
Bendit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #18
Guru

And then your exhaust smells like pickles. Talk about a win-win!!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #19
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
And then your exhaust smells like pickles. Talk about a win-win!!
Use veggie oil biodiesel and you can add the french fry smell....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:50 AM   #20
FF
Guru

Most heat exchanger can be taken apart , rodded out (use a proper sized dowel) and reassembled for only the cost of a gasket or O ring set.

No acid required.