Old 04-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
Flowmeters

I have always had a gas engine, it drank lots of fuel so the flowmeter worked well and had a totalizer for gallons consumed. Kind of a double safety for not running out of fuel. My new boat has a Yanmar 4JH3E and the fuel consumption should be in the liters per hour range. The question would be Is There a Flowmeter that will read flows that low? What does everyone with a small engine do to compute fuel consumption? Do you just measure your tankage and shoot for an average? I understand the diesel engine also bypasses a quantity of fuel back into the tank as part of the process. Wanting to know before I get there...

AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
My new boat has a Yanmar 4JH3E and the fuel consumption should be in the liters per hour range. The question would be Is There a Flowmeter that will read flows that low?
Floscan Instrument Co. Inc.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
Guru

I didn't see one for flows that low, I have my second FloScan in my Bayliner now. The issue with the return line remains. Do you have one installed in a diesel installation?
Old 04-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
Do you have one installed in a diesel installation?
Yes and it works great! Did you check all the models? How many litres /hr do you want to monitor?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FloScan.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	17900  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #5
Guru

Sweet! Thank you very much, my Internet search didn't turn up this one. I am guessing 4-6 liters per hour or the equivalent. I read a couple of articles while searching and the return line question was stated. Got to love Google, sometimes...
Old 04-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
I would consider holding off. It's a big expense for a diesel version, and will it be accurate enough to do you significant good? I don't know how you are cruising or what your engine burns, but on Skinny Dippin', we are at or near cruising speed or stopped. Would saving a few tenth of a gallon be legible on a meter like that? Would a few tenth of a gallon make a difference? In the LONG run, sure, but I was in the flowmeter camp when we first started, but now, I know we get 2.0 gph and have marks on my sight tubes.

YMMV
Old 04-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
Guru

New boat, many things to upgrade. Of course the first inclination is to try to replicate what you did on your last boat, but I was rather just seeking information for the future. My favorite function on the one on the Bayliner is the totalizer. It is so reassuring to see the gallons going in closely approximate what is read as going out. When you always know what you started with, it is nice to read down to the point where it is time to be looking for fuel.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
There are choices of scales. Mine is up to 10 GPH but only half is needed. And then there is Walt's which needs several times the range...

Mine: top right-hand meter, above the rudder indicator:

Old 04-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
There are choices of scales. Mine is up to 10 GPH but only half is needed.
Damn... you did it again! Quit posting that panel! I love it!

Old 04-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #10
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
Damn... you did it again! Quit posting that panel! I love it!
Walt, it helps to have a cooperative boat builder. ... It started with this mock-up from the project manager (presumably radar and depth finder display would be in upper right):

Then to this based on my insistence:

Tank-scale was moved to a bulkhead, and displays/controls relevant to a lookout were moved toward the boat's center while those primarily of the helmsman's interest were moved to the opposite side.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:27 PM   #11
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
There are choices of scales. Mine is up to 10 GPH but only half is needed. And then there is Walt's which needs several times the range...

Mine: top right-hand meter, above the rudder indicator:
I totally understand that (and that is a cool dash BTW), but would it be accurate, or even needed, at 2 gph or less?
Old 04-10-2013, 11:35 PM   #12
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Mark, As always, your photos are impressive and timely. Now, for total envy purposes, go twin screw and really impress us with THAT dash, this one is a beaut.
Thanks for all the photos you submit.
A Johnson-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska
Al is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:56 PM   #13
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post

I totally understand that (and that is a cool dash BTW), but would it be accurate, or even needed, at 2 gph or less?
My take away on flow meters ROI has been ten GPH or more, twenty IMO is closer to reality for a true cost savings. Justifying the expense on much less GPH based on fuel savings is an exercise in futility. JMO

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:10 AM   #14
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
My take away on flow meters ROI has been ten GPH or more, twenty IMO is closer to reality for a true cost savings. Justifying the expense on much less GPH based on fuel savings is an exercise in futility. JMO
That point of view is relevant for any GPH as it is all relative. If you want to be economical, run your boat slow at 2 GPH. If you know the RPM required for that rate of consumption, you might not need a flow meter. And if you aren't concerned about your fuel consumption, you don't need a meter either. But I like to know what's happening "now" as well as what amount of fuel has been cumatively consumed.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:43 AM   #15
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
The suggested retail price of a Floscan for a Yanmar 4JH2-UTE 100hp engine is $1,010.00

Egad!

Any other alternatives for those of a more frugal nature?
Old 04-11-2013, 12:53 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Tom: I understand your take and if all the Floscan tells you is what your burning (gph) and what you've used (totalizer) you have a point. I've tried to explain the other advantages of the FloScan, in past posts, but apparently haven't done a very good job at it. It also tells you if you have a fuel leak by showing a marked increase in the gph. A dirty bottom or a fouled prop also can be seen with a slight increase of fuel usage at a known rpm. It's main advantage, however, is an accurate accounting of fuel burned, fuel remaining & distance remaining at a particular throttle setting. (gps) Dick Rutan had FloScans onboard Challenger on his epic round the world, non stop flight. They actually saved his bacon when leaving Africa and heading for South America.

Newer electronic engines also show your fuel info but those systems are based on a calculation of what the engine should be burning at various throttle settings. FloScan actually measures the actual fuel being used. It's not a calculation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FloScan 9500:9600.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	17910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Flow Data.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	17911   Click image for larger version

Name:	FloScan Explanation.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	17912  

Old 04-11-2013, 01:01 AM   #17
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
The suggested retail price of a Floscan for a Yanmar 4JH2-UTE 100hp engine is $1,010.00

Egad!
"Small potatoes" when one considers most boats in the TF internet neighborhood have two propulsion engines and duplicate helms.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:07 AM   #18
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I completely see your point Mark but as the devices big selling point, to me anyway, is the ability to pay for themselves in fuel saved. I would require quite a large number of hours to see it pay for itself at 2 GPH.

I do not deny that they are nice to have or that they can pay for themselves in fuel offsets. I just see fuel as a small expense in the grand scheme of things. If we cruised distances like Larry or had hungry large engines like George's Hatteras we probably wouldn't be without them.

Edit: Just saw your post Walt and great points I've never considered.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:19 AM   #19
Master and Commander

Craig, I never considered a Flowscan as a cost-savings device, anymore than having flag halyards. By avoiding the costs of a second engine, second helm position, and teak-covered decks, there was money for other good stuff, like an outrageously-expensive yet loud-and-beautifuuly-sounding air horn!
Old 04-11-2013, 06:15 AM   #20
FF
Guru

"It's a big expense for a diesel version, and will it be accurate enough to do you significant good? "

The first time you are cruising and KNOW you will take 60 gal and the fuel dock sez 75gal pumped for fill up will easily pay for the gauge and its installation.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote