Old 06-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #1
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
FloScan, TwinScan 0-32 GPH meter - Suggestions

From estate sale:

I purchased an approximate one year old (new in orig sealed plastic bag still covering unopened box) FloScan, TwinScan 0-32 GPH meter, # 3FB013U2. In the box is plethora of instruction pages. From the included hookup parts/equip that came inside the box it looks fairly simple to install onto both gasoline engines. Any installation hints/cautions from those who already have installed a FloScan would be much appreciated?

Thanks!

Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Any installation hints/cautions from those who already have installed a FloScan would be much appreciated.
I don't have a TwinScan but I can tell you that you are going to love it when you get it installed! FloScan Instrument Co. Inc.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:45 AM   #3
FF
Guru

Just be sure you have the gas unit , not the diesel unit.

Gas is really easy to install as there is usually no return fuel to measure as on a diesel.

1/2 the job!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:58 AM   #4
Art
Guru

Thanks, Walt and Fred - Yup... I look forward. Prob will not install for some time due to other projects in life and on boat, but, I'm sure FlowScan will be kick to use/observe. Need to run it up to bridge where I pilot 99.9%. This unit is for gas, not diesel.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #5

City: South Puget Sound, WA
I'd suggest that you locate the sending units down flow from spin on fuel filters. When mine was installed the installer placed a small screen filter ahead of the sending unit. That screen plugged up due to crud in the fuel tank. If your tank is the same vintage as your nice Tolly you may have some crud in your tank also.

After I removed the small screen filter and replaced it with a normal sized spin on fuel filter/water separator I had no further problems.

As Walt said, you will love it. You will find that sweet spot that gives you the best mileage/speed combination. It may not be what you currently think it is.
Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budds Outlet View Post
I'd suggest that you locate the sending units down flow from spin on fuel filters. When mine was installed the installer placed a small screen filter ahead of the sending unit. That screen plugged up due to crud in the fuel tank. If your tank is the same vintage as your nice Tolly you may have some crud in your tank also.

After I removed the small screen filter and replaced it with a normal sized spin on fuel filter/water separator I had no further problems.

As Walt said, you will love it. You will find that sweet spot that gives you the best mileage/speed combination. It may not be what you currently think it is.
Budd – TY for input... will do... re send units dwn flo from spin ons - for sure!

Crud in my Tolly’s 36 yr old aluminum tanks – of course not! – LOL!!

That was said in jest... but, I do believe I've found a simple, affordable, and proactive solution to greatly help eliminate fuel tank crud and simultaneously keep fuel-color clear as well the fuel thoroughly combustible.

Both our 100 gal gas tanks appear in good condition on all exterior locations. Water was never held against or on top of them per any visible signs... including at bottom support or at filler hose location. For tank interior and gasoline treatment, I religiously use Zoltron fuel cleaner/stabilizer http://soltron-gtr.com/ Soltron site is worth reviewing. For years I’ve experienced GREAT marine gas engine results with Zoltron and believe in it (I have nothing to do with it cept purchase at NAPA store and use it!). It’s said to also work very well in diesel. When first acquired, our Tolly’s spin ons for both gas tanks had much crud and hazy, yellow looking gasoline in em; new spin ons continued to immediately accumulate gunk with yellow looking fuel... that is till I dosed both tanks strongly with Zoltron (I used 1 oz to 15 gals – that’s double the average recommended strength, but fine for initial fuel and tank cleaning purposes). During just a couple weeks the crud slowed then stopped and the color of gasoline completely normalized. I then regulated back to Zoltron’s recommended dosage of 1 oz to 30 gal and have not had any yellow/hazy gas nor any gunk, crud or one dirty spin on for four (4) years since just a couple weeks after I began treatment. I still check the filters every 50 hours and keep two pair of spare spin ons stored in engine compartment. Each check I pour all gas from spin on into glass bowl and look into the filter with flashlight, it is always completely clear. I then check the spin on’s gasket and pour gas back into existing spin on... or if gasket looks comprimized it hets replaced with new spin on. My engines never miss a beat. I’m seriously thinking about extend my spin on fuel filter check-schedule to 100 hours... cause it simply never gets dirty!

Although I’ve roughly determined (method: Hours traveled at gps speed... then gals per fillip – taking currents and wind into guestimate consideration) that our Tolly’s most economical engine-use/speed is via single screw running and boat cruising 5 to 5.5 knots. Close as I can tell that enables 2.5 to 2.75 nmpg. We don not usually go that slowl and for short jaunts we rather like to generally cruise with twins running at 7 to 7.5 knots for what I calc (by same method) to be 1.75 to 2 nmpg. For longer cruises, to make a little time, we plane out at 16 to 17 knots – that seems to give 0.75 to 1 nmpg (figured by same method). These rudimentary tests were accomplished with boat having full loads fuel, water, provisions, gear and two to four adults.

Soooo... when I eventually get it installed, I’ll be excited to play with FlowScan for more accurate determination as to where the sweet spots really are for our Tolly. Be interesting to see variance of results for with/without 14’8”, 600+/- lb tow behind o/b runabout. Slow speed probably not much diff with tow behind... planing speeds probably a big diff. If/when chance comes along to spend hours testing variables I will post results on TF.

First comes FS installation to flybridge, then FS accuracy calibration, then time/desire to hold FS tests – SO... don’t hold your breath(s) while waiting for the results! LOL!!
Old 06-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I did the instalation of a Floscan on my previous trawler, a 2002 Camano 31, I followed the instructions and had no problems. Selecting the location for the dampners and running the wires took some time but it turned out fine. That unit went on a 210 HP Volvo diesel It worked well. If I rememebe correctly the GPH reading doesn't require calibration but the totalizer that measures the amount of fuel in total gallons consumed does done over a few fuel fill ups. It has been a while but I think that is right.
They are not a make or break necessity but interesting to play around with and give you some good information at the same time.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I did the instalation of a Floscan on my previous trawler, a 2002 Camano 31, I followed the instructions and had no problems. Selecting the location for the dampners and running the wires took some time but it turned out fine. That unit went on a 210 HP Volvo diesel It worked well. If I rememebe correctly the GPH reading doesn't require calibration but the totalizer that measures the amount of fuel in total gallons consumed does done over a few fuel fill ups. It has been a while but I think that is right.
They are not a make or break necessity but interesting to play around with and give you some good information at the same time.
Thanks, Steve. Interesting to hear FS gph reading might not need calibration... but total gallons used may need at least some calibration during a few fill ups. It's the gph I'm most interested. I've not read instructions yet and will speak with FS company techs if needed. The FS should be cool to play with, but as you say not a necessity... heck, in many decades of water-world I got along fine without em!

I really appreciate everyone's input regarding something new to me! Thanks - ALL!!
Old 06-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #9
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Once the totalizer is calibrated which is quite easy it will be useful to tell you just how much fuel used and you will know very close how much to take on at fill up. Good if you don't have accurate fuel gauges, refill, zero the totalizer and ready to go again.