FL120 Spin-on fuel filter adapter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marin

Guru
In the FWIW department....

A long time ago in another discussion someone asked about the spin-on fuel filter adapters we installed on our two FL120s to replace the leak-prone, multi-component CAV filters.* At the time I didn't have a photo of the Parker-Hannifin spin-on adapters but now I do.*

As one can see, the original filter mount complete with bleed screws is retained.* The adapters (you need two of them) are the gray things beween the spin-on filters and the stock filter mount.* Installation is dead easy--- the kit contains an instruction sheet plus a second, longer bolt that is used if the adapter is being put on a Perkins engine (so make sure you use the correct bolt).*

The improvement over the old cannister setup is well worth the price of about $50 per adapter in my opinion.* Plus the spin-on filters can be pre-filled with fuel before putting them on thus cutting the time required to bleed the fuel filters by a huge amount if you do the job manually as we do.

Attachments

• adapter.jpg
    adapter.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 168
Marin
someone asked about the spin-on fuel filter adapters we installed on our two FL120s to replace the leak-prone, multi-component CAV filters.

The improvement over the old cannister setup is well worth the price of about $50 per adapter
*Marin,

That`s neat,who stocks the adapter? Doubt I`ll find them in Australia, but could order from USA.

Do you know the micron rating of the BF760 filters pictured?

I recently learned,the hard way,how important it is to grease (rubber safe) the seal of the similar style BF1253 fuel filter on my Onan MDKD 6.5kw.

BruceK

Our adaptors, which we installed some eleven years ago or so, were made by Parker Hannifin, the parent company of Racor. We got them from our local diesel shop in Bellingham, Tri-County Diesel. I don't know why you would not find them in Australia as I assume Racor products are available there. But I'm sure you could order them from a supplier in the US.

I have no idea what the micron rating of the Baldwin BF790 spin-on filter is. I know the diesel shop we use is a believer in 2-micron filters everywhere---- that's what we have in our upstream Racors---- but I was unable to find a listed micron rating for the BF790 anywhere I looked in a quick internet search including the Baldwin catalog which doesn't seem to spell out micron ratings for any of their filters. Or I was looking in the wrong place.

But the BF790 is what our shop told us to use so that's what we use. I don't know if it's 2 micron or something larger. In any event, with 2-micron filters upstream of them they don't have much to do no matter what their micron ratings are :).

mikejsharp wrote:
Check with these guys.

I just ordered some.

http://abcprecision.com/
*Thanks Mike, I will; finding them here would be very unlikely. And Racor replacement filters cost $74 each here, I just had 6, plus a spare clear bowl, shipped over for the price of 3 filters here. CAV filters are cheap,but not Racor. BruceK

These are not Racors. This uses spin on filters (like Marin's picture) They show at least 30 alternative filters on their web site if you look.

But probably you would have to order direct. Anyway just another option.

Thanks, I looked at the site, saw the range of filters, easily procurable. If I go with it I`ll order,2 double sets direct. As you`ve ordered them, would you be willing to post a report after installation, saying how it went?

My Racor comments, somewhat off subject,were directed to the lower cost buying from US suppliers. BruceK

BruceK wrote:
Thanks, I looked at the site, saw the range of filters, easily procurable. If I go with it I`ll order,2 double sets direct. As you`ve ordered them, would you be willing to post a report after installation, saying how it went?

My Racor comments, somewhat off subject,were directed to the lower cost buying from US suppliers. BruceK
I converted to the ABC Precision spin-ons.* A very, very simple and quick project.

In my earlier post I said our adapters were made by Parker Hannifin. I actually have no idea who physically made them. Ours were in Racor-branded boxes at the time we got them, but for all I know all these adapters--- and they all seem to look the same--- come from the same fabrication facility owned by Lord-knows-who and they are just boxed and branded by various re-sellers like Parker Hannfin.

Back
Top Bottom