FL120 oil leak issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy G

Hospitality Officer
Vessel Name
Sarawana
Vessel Make
IG 36 Quad Cabin
My Starboard engine has taken to putting out small quantities of oil film through the exhaust.

I know when they are cold it is not unusual for the old Lehman's to drop some oil till they warm up. However my STB engine is doing that at idle when they are well & truly warmed up.

I am thinking I may have an engine oil filter issue, the engine itself is running well. Has anyone out there had similar oil film issues not caused by an errant oil filter, that I should also investigate?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Andy, how would oil from the filter get into the exhaust? Perhaps the oil cooler could be leaking oil into the seawater,that might do it.
Fortunately, members who actually know about engines will post and help. FL oil cooler replacements are readily available at reasonable cost from ADC or fredwarner1, if required.

Andy, how would oil from the filter get into the exhaust? Perhaps the oil cooler could be leaking oil into the seawater,that might do it.
Fortunately, members who actually know about engines will post and help. FL oil cooler replacements are readily available at reasonable cost from ADC or fredwarner1, if required.

Yes, your right Bruce, of course not the filter probably the cooler.

The sheen can be oil or fuel. Fuel on the water is usually from a bad injector. Oil can be from bad rings, bad valve guide, and a leak in an oil cooler. Do a coolant pressure test. Do a compression test or use a heat measuring gun and read the exhaust ports when the engine is warm and under load.

If the coolant pressure doesn't hold it could mean a leaking heat exchanger, head gasket, etc. A lower temp in one exhaust port would mean that cylinder isn't putting out the same hp. Two adjoining cooler ports could be a bad head gasket. A single low reading cylinder could be a bad injector, leaking rings, or a bad valve. You might do an oil test, too.

The sheen can be oil or fuel. Fuel on the water is usually from a bad injector. Oil can be from bad rings, bad valve guide, and a leak in an oil cooler. Do a coolant pressure test. Do a compression test or use a heat measuring gun and read the exhaust ports when the engine is warm and under load.

If the coolant pressure doesn't hold it could mean a leaking heat exchanger, head gasket, etc. A lower temp in one exhaust port would mean that cylinder isn't putting out the same hp. Two adjoining cooler ports could be a bad head gasket. A single low reading cylinder could be a bad injector, leaking rings, or a bad valve. You might do an oil test, too.

OK, thanks for that.

Sure it’s not fuel? Lehman’s mark their territory. Have the injectors rebuilt, the book says 1000 hours, if I recall correctly. Oil cooler or trans cooler are a likely source of oil, if it is oil. Those coolers should be
Checked every 2 years in salt water.

Back
Top Bottom