Old 03-23-2019, 01:38 AM   #1
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
FL120 oil leak issue

My Starboard engine has taken to putting out small quantities of oil film through the exhaust.

I know when they are cold it is not unusual for the old Lehman's to drop some oil till they warm up. However my STB engine is doing that at idle when they are well & truly warmed up.

I am thinking I may have an engine oil filter issue, the engine itself is running well. Has anyone out there had similar oil film issues not caused by an errant oil filter, that I should also investigate?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:58 AM   #2
Guru

Andy, how would oil from the filter get into the exhaust? Perhaps the oil cooler could be leaking oil into the seawater,that might do it.
Fortunately, members who actually know about engines will post and help. FL oil cooler replacements are readily available at reasonable cost from ADC or fredwarner1, if required.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:32 PM   #3
Hospitality Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Andy, how would oil from the filter get into the exhaust? Perhaps the oil cooler could be leaking oil into the seawater,that might do it.
Fortunately, members who actually know about engines will post and help. FL oil cooler replacements are readily available at reasonable cost from ADC or fredwarner1, if required.
Yes, your right Bruce, of course not the filter probably the cooler.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:12 AM   #4
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
The sheen can be oil or fuel. Fuel on the water is usually from a bad injector. Oil can be from bad rings, bad valve guide, and a leak in an oil cooler. Do a coolant pressure test. Do a compression test or use a heat measuring gun and read the exhaust ports when the engine is warm and under load.

If the coolant pressure doesn't hold it could mean a leaking heat exchanger, head gasket, etc. A lower temp in one exhaust port would mean that cylinder isn't putting out the same hp. Two adjoining cooler ports could be a bad head gasket. A single low reading cylinder could be a bad injector, leaking rings, or a bad valve. You might do an oil test, too.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:40 PM   #5
Hospitality Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
The sheen can be oil or fuel. Fuel on the water is usually from a bad injector. Oil can be from bad rings, bad valve guide, and a leak in an oil cooler. Do a coolant pressure test. Do a compression test or use a heat measuring gun and read the exhaust ports when the engine is warm and under load.

If the coolant pressure doesn't hold it could mean a leaking heat exchanger, head gasket, etc. A lower temp in one exhaust port would mean that cylinder isn't putting out the same hp. Two adjoining cooler ports could be a bad head gasket. A single low reading cylinder could be a bad injector, leaking rings, or a bad valve. You might do an oil test, too.
OK, thanks for that.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:21 PM   #6
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Sure it’s not fuel? Lehman’s mark their territory. Have the injectors rebuilt, the book says 1000 hours, if I recall correctly. Oil cooler or trans cooler are a likely source of oil, if it is oil. Those coolers should be
Checked every 2 years in salt water.