FL 120 solenoid size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meridian

Guru
Vessel Name
Meridian
Vessel Make
Krogen-42
I have a Ford Lehman 120 and my small solenoid/relay that sits on top of the main starter solenoid is failing.It will work 30% of the time.I can hear it clicking when I press the starter so I think the contacts are burned. I can bypass this and jump the main solenoid to start the engine. All the wiring has been checked.

I need to know the amperage on this small unit so I can try to find a replacement. I’m in Georgetown, Exumas so there are not a lot of options for parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think a mid 70's fender well starter solenoid would be a good choice. It's designed to carry the amp load of a starter. You might specify the 302 V8 engine, but I bet they are all the same.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Lehman 135 Twins

Sorry- for a Ford pick up

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Lehman 135 Twins

How long are you going to be there? Or a better question...how many more starts till you get someplace with decent parts?

If I only had 10 more starts or so till back in the states...I would just keep jumping....

I wish I had a separate starter button in the engine room anyhow as it comes in handy for bleeding, troubleshooting and the first start of the day when I'm down there checking prestart things anyway. It would allow me to see the engine start, idle and smooth while I make sure all looks good.

The real answer though it...what Jay and Forklift posted...any generic starting circuit solenoid will work as it's not carrying full starter loading and the wires on mine are pretty small suggesting something less than 100 amps...in a pinch a similar windlass one would work...

Last edited:
After giving it some thought I went back and rechecked all the connections, corrosion was the problem. Since this solenoid only triggers the starter solenoid my original thought that the contacts would be burned was wrong as there are few amps passing through this one. Only 12 ga wire in and out.

as the old timers always say and most of us forget once and awhile..."always check the simple stuff first!"

I'm happy it was easy....:thumb::thumb::thumb:

After giving it some thought I went back and rechecked all the connections, corrosion was the problem. Since this solenoid only triggers the starter solenoid my original thought that the contacts would be burned was wrong as there are few amps passing through this one. Only 12 ga wire in and out.

I suspect it is a "step-up" relay. By the time voltage leaves the battery, travels through the harness to the bridge/starter button/neutral safety switch etc- there are a lot of opportunities for resistance and voltages drops. Instead of having the described circuit then trigger the main starter solenoid to pull in, it's job would be to trigger the step- up relay/ solenoid. One big terminal on this relay would be connected to a wire that connects to the battery terminal on the starter. The other big terminal on the relay would go to the switch wire on the main starter solenoid. That way when the step-up relay is energized, the circuit that feeds the switch wire only travels a foot or so. Glad to hear you got it solved!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Lehman 135 Twins

Back
Top Bottom