Mr. k. Yahoo (or ugh, Google) is your friend:
What Is Oil Viscosity? | eHow
Motor Oil Viscosity Grades Explained in Layman's Terms
Motor oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
7.7 million results

Old 05-07-2014, 08:34 PM   #22
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
I know what it is and how it is rated, however, most dont. Theres lots of misinformation around.

kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:40 PM   #23
Guru

City: Vashon Island, WA
Vessel Name: Island Breeze
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 36-427
Send a message via Skype™ to kolive
Wow Jeff,

You really set off a lot of discussion. I cannot contribute as I am new to Lehman's too. But....next week we can ask Bob Smith in our Lehman class in Anacortes.
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:58 PM   #24
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. k. "Can anyone on this list define what multi viscosity oil is and how it is rated ?" (your post #20) Well, if you know all about oils, why ask the question? I would hope any member REALLY interested in the factory recommended oils could get the specs from a manual somewhere and if they decide to deviate from the recommendations, so be it. As I stated previously I use straight 30W (Rotella T) oil as stated in the Lehman manual. Heck, I used Walmart 30W in the last Lehman.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:17 AM   #25
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity

This was on an old post and I thought very good. Amsoil isn't my favorite but the information (as I recall) was very good.

Better to find information about engineering (like oils) from an engineering source, not a mechanic. A mechanic's job and expertise is to troubleshoot, repair and or replace defective components. They are not scientists or engineers. They are a great source of what they think including old wives tales.
If a book was to be written about the advantages and disadvantages of various kinds of lube oil it would probably be written by a lubrication engineer .. not an engine mechanic.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:36 AM   #26
Guru

Did multigrade oil exist when the Ford Dorset was "launched"?
Always thought multigrade oils were made as an improvement on single viscosity oils, maybe not. I use multigrade, but add snake oil to the genset oil. Spoilt for choice with snakes here, but catching them, and then extracting the oil.....tough gig.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:53 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Did multigrade oil exist when the Ford Dorset was "launched"?
Answering my own question. The "Lehman Operators Manual", p23, recommends a range of single and multi-viscosity oils depending on Fahrenheit temperature (presumably ambient).
Multigrade:
<32 deg F --5W-30
-10 to +90 --10W-30
-10 to 90 or above -- 10W-40
Above + 10 -- 20W-40
Single viscosity:
-10-32--10W
10-60--20W-20
32-90--30
Over 60--40
For sustained high rpm --20W-20
The Manual covers 4 and 6 cyl engines. Non turbos use API Classification CC, Turbos API Classification CD.
Hope that helps with what to use.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:56 AM   #28
Guru

Well there's the rub. MY Lehman manual dated June 1986 lists only single weight oils and it also states the 50 hour oil change interval on the Simms pump. See table copied from the manual below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-05-08_075316.png
Views:	53
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	29735  
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:09 AM   #29

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: Shin Shing, Eagle 35'
Hi all,

First and formost, I WAS JOKING that I put in 14 quarts. That was what the ha ha and JK were for. I will be more careful in the future. Additionally I also stated that I knew about the dipstick needing to be re marked and it is and it did match.

I have no info from the PO as he had dementia when I bought the boat and I believe he may have passed now. I did buy the boat accordingly.

I read all the info available and notes from the PO that I had. The manual called for 30wt oil for my temp. range. Since I don't have a degree in Diesel engine oil I went with what the manual stated.

I have read many threads on the forum getting into what the best oil is. I didn't mean to go down that road. There are a lot of really smart people here from that industry and I'm sure there could possibly be something better now. I will talk with Bob Smith in a couple of weeks and find out.

I am getting ready to haul out tomorrow morning to swap out the prop, stuffing box tube, and packing. I may have to change the cutlass bearing but will find out once hauled. I have read multiple articles and threads on how to do this. I also have some people helping that have done it several times.

Thanks for all the info, this forum is a great place to learn about all the things you need to do on a trawler.

Jeff
Jbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #30

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: Shin Shing, Eagle 35'
Oh, and the oil change system on this boat is real slick! There is a hose coming from the oil drain plug going to a fluid transfer pump. You have to hold two switches on as a fail safe but it pumps the old oil into 1 gallon water jugs. We use the very clear ones so you can actually see what is coming out of the engine. It takes about 30 minutes to get everything out but it was right at 12 quarts!
Jbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:57 PM   #31
Guru

BruceK wrote;
"Always thought multigrade oils were made as an improvement on single viscosity oils"

That's the problem. Most everybody views MV oil that way. And in your car they are an improvement but not better in your boat. They actually are inferior if you warm up your boat engine rather slowly.

The reason for MV oils in the first place was to be able to start your car or truck engine in the coldest of weather. With the mild Pacific weather on the west coast there was no problem but in much of the rest of the world sub zero weather WAS a problem. Along came 10W-30 oil. And if you put lots of that stuff called viscosity improver (VI) in oil they could make 10W-40 oil. The VI dosn't directly help lubricate your engine so IMO your better off having the oil in your engine than w the VI. The name of the game is to use only as much VI as you need.

I run multi-vis oils in my cars and trucks because often I more or less need it to drive them fairly fast just after startup. I run full synthetic in my new turbocharged car and the 10W-30 that I use probably dosn't have any VI in it as the synthetic oil has the properties of multi-vis oil without any VI at all in the oil. This is because the synthetic oil is more viscosity stable than the dino oils made from crude oil. They don't make 5W-60 oil .. probably because it would require too much VI to make it conform to the 5W-60 specification. So it appears that with that much VI in the oil even the manufacturers of oil think it would not be safe to put on the market. All the manufacturers would love to be the first to offer a 5W-60 oil as it would be viewed as an "improvement" and probably sell quite well. Also you will only find 5W-50 in synthetic oil as it would require too much VI for dino oil. Most people start their cars and drive them normally (or close to normally) when cold so even though they can start their car w straight Wt oil the MV oil is better when they drive their car stone cold on the road. So for cars BruceK the multi-vis is an improvement. Big diesel truck engines warm up slowly and most use MV oil to get the trucks on the road quickly as time is money in the business.

BUT .. with our boats we don't "drive" them right away. We warm them up before operating them fairly fast and under load. So we do not need the MV oil. And straight weight oil has more oil in it and as a result better lubricity. MV oil in your car is a useful feature but serves no purpose in your boat.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:52 PM   #32
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Take a quart of 10w30 and measure the viscosity at 32 degrees. Do the same with 10 weight. Take a quart of 10w30 and measure the viscosity at 210 degrees. Do the same with 30 weight. 10 weight will be great lube at 32 degrees and flow good. 30 weight will be great lube at 210 degrees and flow good. 10 weight will be very poor lube at 210 degrees and 30 weight will be very poor lube at 32 degrees. BUT, 10w30 works great. If I did not have to use straight weight oil in my DDs I definitely wouldnt. There is no comparison between sw and mv oils where mv doesnt win.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:14 PM   #33
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
This is a complicated topic. Oils have evolved over the decades, and what was printed in the Lehman manual has not changed much in three or four decades!!

Also, some of the oil spec stuff is probably copied from the Ford manuals, and are not specific to the marine application. Mostly for truck, ag and industrial.

For example, the Lehman has a sea water oil cooler, so what difference does ambient temp make regarding oil selection? Should they not say sea water temp?

Lehmans also run very cool (IMHO, TOO cool) oil temps. Usually around 150-170F. So viscosity of a 30wt is similar to a 40 or 50wt at a normal oil temp of 200-220F. Most engines use coolant to cool oil, and that keeps temp up. Probably would be best to run a 10w-30 oil in a Lehman, but that is hard to find.

Considering how basic and rugged the Lehman Ford is, I don't think you COULD hurt it running any modern commercially availble lube. Use what makes you happy!!

And to the OP- Whether the Lehman smokes more or less probably has more to do with the engines "mood" that day than anything else!!
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:25 PM   #34
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Well that felt like a waste of time. Guess I'll go work on my exhaust system and change the start battery cables.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:36 PM   #35
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
There is nothing as satisfying as an oil thread. Personally I use Yak oil whenever I can. Not too many places sell it anymore due to the difficulties in refining it. Available in multiple viscosity depending on the time of year it's harvested...

Old 05-08-2014, 02:51 PM   #36
Guru

Well I can see post #31 was a waste of time.

But Ski in NC has a point that one could run practically anything and be fine.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #37
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Old 05-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #38
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Eric,

You opinions about multivis oils could use some updating.

Research viscosity index and viscosity temperature curves. Also recognize that most synthetic oils have a high VI and act as a multi viscosity oil without viscosity modifiers.

That said 30 weight oil is probably just fine for a Ford Lehman.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:15 PM   #39
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Mr. RT,
Old 05-08-2014, 05:19 PM   #40
Guru

Spy,
I appreciate your directness. I really do and I wouldn't from everybody but it looks like you didn't wade through my whole post as I addressed the superior VI capabilities of synthetic oil. And as you say some of my opinions could use some updating. Not sure what opinions though.

And as you say 30W oil is just fine for a Lehman. Actually a tiny bit better and how much better is clearly fly stuff. Small fly stuff at that but the point I'm trying to make is that most everyone thinks multi-vis oil is better because it came later and is as BruceK wrote an "improvement" over straight weight. Out w the old in w the new frame of mind. It is but only if you need it and the straight weight oil is very marginally better if you don't.

One can make the decision to use straight or MV and have absolutely no concern as to whether or not they made a decision that could get them in trouble.

And I should add that because of the temperatures involved any engine w a turbocharger that has engine lube oil circulating through the turbo should follow the manufacturers recommendations especially as to syn or non and viscosity re temps and usage.

Please correct me if I'm not up to date on the above. Frankly if you like.

dh and RT ... that's what forums are for .. Yakaty Yak