Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Parmenter's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Model: 49ft 11inch catamaran-trawler
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Twins?
Yep
Quote:
Perkins at that!
yep
Quote:
With used broken down Hynautic controls?
Hydraulics are very reliable and easily repairable even in remote locations (unlike fly by wire) and remember, $500 vs $18,000
Quote:
And no reliable genset?
Who says?
The previous owner had 10 years - I would hope for same with a rebuild.
The minute it PROVES to be unreliable I will sell it and upgrade the solar.
Quote:
A big old inefficient fridge?
A brand new modern fridge
Quote:
Cheap solar panels too!
do the expensive ones work any better - evidence please
Quote:
And wood!
All the good trawlers in Oz are timber and God doesnt make plastic trees
Quote:
My God man, have you lost your mind?
Quite possibly

Did I mention it is a catamaran?
__________________
Advertisement

Parmenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Parmenter's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Model: 49ft 11inch catamaran-trawler
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
As to the genny, putting $4,500 into something everybody on the web says ain't reliable
More like $2500 and everyone hasn't said they are unreliable at all.
Just the owners that are unhappy.

Heres a pile of unhappy Northern Lights owners for you
https://www.google.com/search?q=nort...+gearator+fail
Quote:
Assuming you've exhausted options like adding another $2,000 to the kitty and seen about a running take out with no issues that you can hear run.
Second hand marine diesel gennies smaller than 10KW in Australia are rare as rocking horse sh1t.
Light ones with sound shields are rarer again.(I have never seen one)

I have had my ear to the ground for 10 years and this is the first one I have found, the only other contender was a 20kw yanmar that was considerably heavy and ran, but had issues as well.
Quote:
Ultimately you pay your money and take your chances. Good luck with your project mate.
Yep - for a few grand I am prepared to take a gamble on this one.
__________________

Parmenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
Parmenter's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Model: 49ft 11inch catamaran-trawler
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinmike View Post
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Why would weight be an issue with that boat?
Catamaran
Quote:
I'd search a little longer and find a used Northern Lights,
Heavy
Parmenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #44
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Country: usa
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,369
Jesting aside for a moment, I spent some time on a vessel that had an FP as a backup. It saw most of the duty as the big 24 KW genset was not needed for coffee making and hair dryers. Its weak link was the cooling system with RW and cooling pump failures fairly routine. So suggest you keep several sets of both onboard and insure the safety shutdowns are working properly.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #45
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7,570
SeaWasp is an Australian built brand, mostly Kubota based, from memory better priced than some pricy overseas gensets. A new solenoid for my Onan cost near $400.
Parmenter, we see you are committed, get to work, report back how the FP comes up.
Will you be painting it with black and white patches?
__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
Parmenter's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Model: 49ft 11inch catamaran-trawler
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
SeaWasp is an Australian built brand, mostly Kubota based, from memory better priced than some pricy overseas gensets.
$14,000 was my quote from them

Quote:
Will you be painting it with black and white patches?
As in Panda print?

Perhaps yellow as in lemon may be a better choice

I think I'll leave the case as it is, it presents very well.
Parmenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Parmenter's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Model: 49ft 11inch catamaran-trawler
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Its weak link was the cooling system with RW and cooling pump failures fairly routine.
Was this an old salt water cooled or new fresh water cooled unit?

Quote:
So suggest you keep several sets of both onboard and insure the safety shutdowns are working properly.
Seeing as they are a Johnson pump, as used on most other brands of diesel that must be a given on them as well.

Is there a more reliable brand of pump than Johnson, perhaps I need to change the pump on my main engines as well.
Parmenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #48
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
On our 3.5 KW phasor genny, we put an march pump and took off the one on the engine. Wired it in directly to the breaker on the genny so when it starts the pump is. It's been fine for 2 abaco trips and 10 bimini trips. Just a thought.
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:30 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
Parmenter's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Model: 49ft 11inch catamaran-trawler
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camano 31 View Post
On our 3.5 KW phasor genny, we put an march pump and took off the one on the engine. Wired it in directly to the breaker on the genny so when it starts the pump is. It's been fine for 2 abaco trips and 10 bimini trips. Just a thought.
And a decent thought at that as the pump could be mounted outside the enclosure.
Parmenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #50
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmenter View Post
And a decent thought at that as the pump could be mounted outside the enclosure.
Yep exactly what we did, we did from after a friends NL got damaged on an GB42. Also on smaller generators with sound shields I would recommend moving the capacitor out side of the shield. I'll try to get a pic of our setup tommorow.
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:11 AM   #51
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camano 31 View Post
On our 3.5 KW phasor genny, we put an march pump and took off the one on the engine. Wired it in directly to the breaker on the genny so when it starts the pump is. It's been fine for 2 abaco trips and 10 bimini trips. Just a thought.
I have to ask...

Your posts show a Nordhavn 47.

Are you running a 3.5KW as your only generator on your N47, was the 3.5KW generator on your Camano?
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #52
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I have to ask... Your posts show a Nordhavn 47. Are you running a 3.5KW as your only generator on your N47, was the 3.5KW generator on your Camano?
Yeah our Camano. Wee might do the same with the NL on the N. Has know one else heard of this?
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #53
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Country: usa
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camano 31 View Post
Yeah our Camano. Wee might do the same with the NL on the N. Has know one else heard of this?
Some NL gensets have a weak point - the exhaust elbow. If not already done switch it out to a NL supplied SS one and keep a spare onboard.

The NL RW pumps are good from my experience. I'd hesitate to go with an external pump as the cooling and exhaust systems require the volume and head pressure the on engine provides.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:15 AM   #54
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Some NL gensets have a weak point - the exhaust elbow. If not already done switch it out to a NL supplied SS one and keep a spare onboard. The NL RW pumps are good from my experience. I'd hesitate to go with an external pump as the cooling and exhaust systems require the volume and head pressure the on engine provides.
Thats funny, on the survey that was one of things. Nordhavn replaced it.
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #55
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Some NL gensets have a weak point - the exhaust elbow. If not already done switch it out to a NL supplied SS one and keep a spare onboard.
Very good tip. I had to change mine.
__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
Parmenter's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Model: 49ft 11inch catamaran-trawler
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Some NL gensets have a weak point - the exhaust elbow.

I thought it was only FP that was allowed to have problems.
Parmenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #57
Senior Member
 
Parmenter's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Model: 49ft 11inch catamaran-trawler
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camano 31 View Post
Yep exactly what we did, we did from after a friends NL got damaged on an GB42. Also on smaller generators with sound shields I would recommend moving the capacitor out side of the shield. I'll try to get a pic of our setup tommorow.
Marvelous
Parmenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #58
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmenter View Post
WTF
I thought it was only FP that was allowed to have problems.
10 years and other than standard servicing that is the only thing the NL has required. Wonder about the 10 year service of the FP.
__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #59
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Country: usa
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
10 years and other than standard servicing that is the only thing the NL has required. Wonder about the 10 year service of the FP.
Would someone, anybody, please chime in who has an FP that has been in routine service for more than 8 years. If so, please share your experiences.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #60
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Would someone, anybody, please chime in who has an FP that has been in routine service for more than 8 years. If so, please share your experiences.
Here's an link with an not so happy camper. http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...nda-Generators
__________________

__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012