expansion tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carmel

I have cummins triple nickles, they run around 180. After running on shut down they burp just a little glycol is this normal. I have change radiator caps . Not sure what the new or old caps are rated.

Do you idle them for a few minutes to let them cool down? If not, try that.

carmel wrote:
I have cummins triple nickles, they run around 180. After running on shut down they burp just a little glycol is this normal. I have change radiator caps . Not sure what the new or old caps are rated.

David, do you add coolant later to replace what you lost? It's ok to be an inch or two low for expansion. It's possible that you are overtopping and while running the waterpump keeps the level pulled down.

I have V555M also and installed an overflow collection bottle years ago. Do the same and you won't lose the coolant at all. Get a Gates #31348 (NAPA also uses the same number for their cap version) coolant recovery cap which is 7# and you will be all set.

Even after a cooldown it would be reasonable, if you keep adding makeup as Forklifft suggested, it will keep burping it out or once the engine is shutdown locallized hot spots may develop forcing some out.

Back
Top Bottom