Exhaust system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rpelton

Veteran Member
Hello Folks,

Need some advice.

I've got a Lehman 120. I've got a leak in the exhaust elbow. Not the elbow off the block, but a second elbow that is about 12inches further down. Beyond that elbow is the wet exhaust muffler. Anyway, the elbow is made of fiberglass and continues to leak. I have removed it and re-fiberglassed. A year later, it started leaking.

Would it be ok to replace this elbow with regular exhaust pipe elbow?

Looking for ideas.

Thanks,
Bob

Pictures would help. Repairing a fiberglass elbow is a no go in my opinion. You should be able to find an exact replacement. Fiberglass doesn’t rust.

google “fiberglass marine exhaust elbow”

I see no problem with repairing the elbow. The beauty of fiberglass products is their ability to be altered or repaired while retaining their integrity.
I think you might find the clamps are actually causing the problem, over tightening them will deform/crack the fiberglass tubing.
Also make sure that all components are adequately supported, so as not to put stress on the elbow.

It might be worth a little investigation to see if there is a cause for the failure, especially since you repaired it once already. Maybe it's a hot spot of some sort? Perhaps shoot the failure location with a temp gun and compare to surrounding parts of the exhaust? It might just be an old-age fatigue failure, but there also might be more to it.

Back
Top Bottom