Old 06-05-2017, 09:33 AM   #1
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
EPA new fuel fill limit vent valves

Quote:
The Fuel Fill Valve is used to establish ullage (air space) in the tank to help prevent overfilling.
The FLV incorporates a small float mechanism which, as the tank is filled, rises to seal off air escaping through the vent line. (See accompanying diagram.) When the float rises and air can no longer escape, pressure builds in the tank and fill hose and is sensed by the pressure shut-off mechanism in the dockside fuel pump.
https://www.fisheriessupply.com/perk...-epa-compliant

Do any new diesel fuel systems use these in their tanks?
Prevents overfilling of your tank and keeps fuel from flowing out the vent.
They come in various sizes.

sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:07 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Not a chance that I have one of those contraptions

Not a chance I'm putting one on my tank either.

ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:47 AM   #3
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Are these now required for new diesel tanks in new diesel boats?
I think most people just would not know if they had one or not.
I know they are required for gas powered boats, same regulations would apply to prevent fuel spills. for diesels I would think.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:45 PM   #4
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Those are for gas engines/tanks, and have nothing to do with diesel engines or tanks.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:00 PM   #5

City: Bayfield, WI
Vessel Name: All Night Long
Vessel Model: Regal 2765
Why? You can't overfill a diesel tank?
BDofMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:10 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Don't get me started...I bought a one gallon gas container last year for our new dinghy. Yes, one gallon, four quarts, as big as a lunch box. Paid a ridiculous price for it because the spout is a five-component Rube Goldberg contraption. Press a side tab (hard) to unlock screw ring, unscrew, press a different tab to lift the spout out of the mouth of the container; take out the cap piece, turn the spout around, making sure the flimsy gasket is aligned properly around the base of the spout. Slide the screw ring over the spout, pressing the tab again. Screw it down, insert spout into motor tank, press different tab on spout against the filler neck of the tank to start the flow, however, because I have to keep the spout firmly jammed into the tank to open the spout valve, I can't back it out to see how full the tank is -- so I spill gas everywhere, defeating the whole purpose of all that complexity. And then to top it off, because of the all-powerful, farmer-welfare agricultural lobby in this country, after one year the ethanol in the gas has eaten away the rubber gasket and it shreds to little black bits and pieces as I put the spout back in. (I put the good stuff in the big boat though, no corn juice in my twins.)
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:28 PM   #7

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pelorus
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
Quote:
I can't back it out to see how full the tank is -- so I spill gas everywhere, defeating the whole purpose of all that complexity.

I hate the new fu%*#ing safety gas cans. I never spilled with the old ones, yet I rarely fill an outboard or other small engine using the new safety spouts without spilling.
Portage_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:18 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDofMSP View Post
Why? You can't overfill a diesel tank?
I'm just referring to it being a new EPA thing. I don't believe anything has changed re venting and filling requirements for diesel. Just trying to head off the "EPA is ruining out lives" tangents, but I might be too late....
Old 06-06-2017, 04:42 PM   #9
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
My new Walker Bay dink has one of these. Took me 25 minutes to put 7 gallons in a 10 gallon tank.

As far as gas cans, I "remove" all that EPA crap.

I also use this to fuel my dink from gas cans! Awesome

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/terap...pump--17733841
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Mt. Pleasant
Vessel Name: Paws Aboard
Vessel Model: 45 Californian
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Don't get me started...I bought a one gallon gas container last year for our new dinghy. Yes, one gallon, four quarts, as big as a lunch box. Paid a ridiculous price for it because the spout is a five-component Rube Goldberg contraption. Press a side tab (hard) to unlock screw ring, unscrew, press a different tab to lift the spout out of the mouth of the container; take out the cap piece, turn the spout around, making sure the flimsy gasket is aligned properly around the base of the spout. Slide the screw ring over the spout, pressing the tab again. Screw it down, insert spout into motor tank, press different tab on spout against the filler neck of the tank to start the flow, however, because I have to keep the spout firmly jammed into the tank to open the spout valve, I can't back it out to see how full the tank is -- so I spill gas everywhere, defeating the whole purpose of all that complexity. And then to top it off, because of the all-powerful, farmer-welfare agricultural lobby in this country, after one year the ethanol in the gas has eaten away the rubber gasket and it shreds to little black bits and pieces as I put the spout back in. (I put the good stuff in the big boat though, no corn juice in my twins.)

Yes. We have met the enemy! It is those that want to save the environment with government regulation
creekcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:57 PM   #11
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. ASD. What is the capacity of that device please? 1 gal? 5 gal? 10 gal?
Old 06-06-2017, 05:09 PM   #12

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Sea Q
Vessel Model: Westport Mc Queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
I buy bulk corn juice to make things like glass cleaner at our plant
One day I asked the supplier about the ethanol they put into gas and why it was cheaper and he told me that it was full of other nasty stuff and we wouldn't want to use it
Also I'm not sure how much cleaner it is than gas . Something people don't ask is how much energy it takes to make a liter of corn juice
Sea Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:15 PM   #13
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Wait a minute, "ullage?" There's a word for the air space at the top of a container? Get outta here. Ullage. What do you know. That's handy for Scrabble. Sounds like a character in a Minnesota Ole and Lena joke (Ole and Ullage Svenson were ice fishing for walleye on Lake Mille Lacs one day...")
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:18 PM   #14
Enigma

City: Slicker?
ullage (n.) "amount by which a cask or bottle falls short of being full," late 15c., from Anglo-French ulliage (early 14c.), Anglo-Latin oliagium (late 13c.), Old French ouillage, from ouiller "to fill up (a barrel) to the bung," literally "to fill to the eye," from ueil "eye" (perhaps used colloquially for "bung"), from Latin oculus (from PIE root *okw- "to see").
Old 06-06-2017, 06:27 PM   #15

City: Chicago/Montrose Harbor
Vessel Name: Sea Jay
Vessel Model: Non Trawler ;-) Ask me if it matters LOL
Those spouts on the small gas containers are awful. I keep a funnel around to fill my outboard with now
Gmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:35 PM   #16
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmarr View Post
Those spouts on the small gas containers are awful. I keep a funnel around to fill my outboard with now
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:07 AM   #17
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. ASD. What is the capacity of that device please? 1 gal? 5 gal? 10 gal?
3 gal per minute. I have 5 gal cans
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:58 AM   #18

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
Good thing Trump wants to gut the EPA! I have old gas cans and old style spouts, I save them just for the reasons mentioned above.
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:29 AM   #19
Guru

City: gulf coast
When the vent closes I expect that the large air volume in diesel tanks and fast flow will cause more burping than previous vents.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:40 AM   #20
Guru

For everyone who wants to "gut the EPA", have you ever been to China? Or do you have any idea what it's like? And you really want to bring that back here? Be careful what you ask for.....