Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-12-2012, 01:06 AM   #1
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,979
EPA - May Outlaw 2-Cycle Detroit Diesels??

I might purchase an older diesel powered boat. Have you heard about the following Detroit 2-Cycle diesel-engine cautionary tip I was recently provided by a working Captain? I look forward to learn your input and thank you for any info you may have. Art

TIP: “You may be looking at a big problem buying a boat with Detroit 2-cycle engines.

EPA is in midst of getting outlawed all of the Detroit 2 cycles. These diesels do not meet tier II or III emission standards. Currently you can run them up to 300 hours annually. After 2013, not at all.

This could force the throw away of perfectly good engines with expensive repower using something politically correct... if boat is equipped with Detroit 2-cycle engines.”
__________________
Advertisement

Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:28 AM   #2
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,518
Only the Peoples Democratic Republic of California might attempt something like this for pleasure boat operations..

Never heard of anything like this although you could not build a NEW boat today with the 2 stroke DD

2 Stroke are very common on large ships and Kalifornia requires ships to go off bunker and burn diesel as they come to shore.

And they have to shut down noisemakers aboard , as the states purchased coal power is cleaner as it is created out of state.

FF
__________________

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:36 AM   #3
Scraping Paint
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Only the Peoples Democratic Republic of California might attempt something like this for pleasure boat operations..

Never heard of anything like this although you could not build a NEW boat today with the 2 stroke DD

FF
California has approved use of the 71 series engines with a "kit" of modifications that bring it into emissions standards.

EMD continues to build 2-stroke engines that meet Tier-2 standards. The 2-stroke is far from dead.

The EPA itself is a far better source for regulatory information than a "working captain."
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
Guru
 
swampu's Avatar


 
City: Biloxi, MS
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,144
Thought I was going to have a stroke, Just got my transmission back for my evil 6-71. Hate to have to chunk it next year.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
California has approved use of the 71 series engines with a "kit" of modifications that bring it into emissions standards.

EMD continues to build 2-stroke engines that meet Tier-2 standards. The 2-stroke is far from dead.

The EPA itself is a far better source for regulatory information than a "working captain."
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAMPU "[/QUOTE
Thought I was going to have a stroke, Just got my transmission back for my evil 6-71. Hate to have to chunk it next year. "
Letís not get our pants in a wad now folks. I'm not saying the captain who contacted me (and may work for me) is/was correct or incorrect about potentially coming diesel engine restrictions... but I check every avenue when unusual items are brought to my attention. Including EPA info (i.e. an agency, often with sideways agendas) that I am researching... figured I'd pose the question to none other than the smartest people on the seas - Boat Captains! Thanks for any and all your input.
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #6
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,979
Some more input... so far...

EPA (paraphrased): Marine engines evolution from Tier2 began in 2004, to Tier3. Smaller displacement engines are T3 now but the majority of new marine diesel engines based on cylinder displacement will be required to meet T3 January 1st 2013. Larger (whatever size the word “larger” may represent?) displacement engines are further out for compliance.

What is new with T3 is that when a repower is done with a T3 the old engine is to be destroyed so that it does not go back into service in an older boat. This was not the case with T2 repowers.

There is a provision dating back to T2 that if an older vessel is "made new", essentially doubling its value regarding before and after improvements, you are obligated to replace the engines even if they are good runners.

In California you have CARB that has been aggressively providing funds to take polluters out of service so many commercial boats have taken advantage of that program. There are also 30 air quality districts in the state that have their own standards. Perhaps they have targeted Detroit Diesels!?!?

http://www.epa.gov/oms/marine.htm#regs - Ain't research wonderful! I'd much rather go swimming!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #7
Guru
 
ARoss's Avatar
 
City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 625
Hmm. With all the crazies (present company excepted) , and the earthquakes ...this is just another reason not to live in California.
ARoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
Scraping Paint
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
In California you have CARB that has been aggressively providing funds to take polluters out of service so many commercial boats have taken advantage of that program. There are also 30 air quality districts in the state that have their own standards. Perhaps they have targeted Detroit Diesels
Or maybe not.

2002-09-06 Clean Cam Technologies Systems; Diesel Engine Re-Engineering Kits
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,979
Good link - TY RB!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #10
Guru
 
bobofthenorth's Avatar
 
City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 570
Rick beat me to that link but I know Don Fairchild from the converted bus community. He's forgotten more about 2-stroke Detroits than most of us will ever know. He happened to be in Seattle for the working boat show the year we bought Gray Hawk and he helped me do the mechanical survey on her. He's good people.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #11
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoss View Post
Hmm. With all the crazies (present company excepted) , and the earthquakes ...this is just another reason not to live in California.
If California were to fall off into the ocean, the rest of the USA would be the better for it.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #12
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
If California were to fall off into the ocean, the rest of the USA would be the better for it.
I can see you are open-minded.

That Said: Forget about CA govt, biz... etc. You have no idea of the beauty in CA geography. Nor Cal is a completely different animal compared to So Cal.

And, BTW... SF Bay / Delta are simply gorgeous!

To heck with EPA and all the rules that will develope in U.S. and in other nations around the globe... as we try to develop ways for keeping our living planet viable for continued livable comfort - We all will figure our way through. Secret is to enjoy this journey on the one direction life-trip we each have been afforded!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #13
Guru
 
bobofthenorth's Avatar
 
City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 570
Why don't we forget the regional bashing and focus on the fact that Don Fairchild has taken an engine with a 70+ year history and made it emission compliant in the toughest jurisdiction in the world. That says a couple of things to me - 1st off Don's a pretty smart guy and 2nd there's nothing wrong with 2 stroke diesels if they have that long a history.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #14
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
Why don't we forget the regional bashing and focus on the fact that Don Fairchild has taken an engine with a 70+ year history and made it emission compliant in the toughest jurisdiction in the world. That says a couple of things to me - 1st off Don's a pretty smart guy and 2nd there's nothing wrong with 2 stroke diesels if they have that long a history.
Bob - Agreed... on all counts!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #15
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
Why don't we forget the regional bashing and focus on the fact that Don Fairchild has taken an engine with a 70+ year history and made it emission compliant in the toughest jurisdiction in the world. That says a couple of things to me - 1st off Don's a pretty smart guy and 2nd there's nothing wrong with 2 stroke diesels if they have that long a history.
Very well stated and a stunning testimony for both the engine and the men who design and re-engineer them.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #16
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I can see you are open-minded.
My point is, California seems to think it is apart from the rest of the USA. For example, manufacturers have to build different versions of the same product for sale in CA, vs, the other 49 states. How did this happen? Why didn't the US government stop it? Suppose each state set up its own requirements and manufacturers had to build fifty different versions of a lawnmower?

Then of course, there is the fact that CA has legalized drugs that are illegal under US law. And the legal nudity, etc. The general population may be close to normal, but the people in charge are out of their minds.

I'm sure it's a beautiful place though.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #17
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,877
Are we done with that stupid engine thing, discussion??

I wanna wade in on this state thing...as long as we are done with the silly engine thing....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #18
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Are we done with that stupid engine thing, discussion??

I wanna wade in on this state thing...as long as we are done with the silly engine thing....
Probably needs a separate thread but speaking of engines, silly or otherwise, and EPA rulings and such, I was in Fisheries Supply yesterday getting some stuff for a boat project and there in the middle of the main aisle was a big tank of water with a pair of propane outboards mounted on it so you could run them. One was 2.5 hp or something like that and the other was a 5 hp. Brand name Lehr or something similar I think?

Anyway, I recalled an earlier thread asking about propane outboards. They're here and for sale at Fisheries (and I imagine a lot of other places, too.).
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #19
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Probably needs a separate thread but speaking of engines, silly or otherwise, and EPA rulings and such, I was in Fisheries Supply yesterday getting some stuff for a boat project and there in the middle of the main aisle was a big tank of water with a pair of propane outboards mounted on it so you could run them. One was 2.5 hp or something like that and the other was a 5 hp. Brand name Lehr or something similar I think?

Anyway, I recalled an earlier thread asking about propane outboards. They're here and for sale at Fisheries (and I imagine a lot of other places, too.).
Yeah..big push on them...we'll see if it lasts...the fuel thing i think will drive most nuts unless I'm missing something. If you are willing to handle propane yourself (fill different tanks from one another)...it may not be such a big deal unless cruising..always in the same dock area, then they may be on to something.

Now can I bash states or are we still on engines???
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #20
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
Refilling propane tanks doesn't seem to be much of a problem in this area. It may be in other places. The two motors in the store were plugged into a pair of backyard BBQ bottles so it would appear that one could use the common tank swap process that so many gas stations have, at least around here. There didn't appear to be any unique fittings required.

We're not in the market for a new outboard so the propane thing is neither here nor there for us. But it's an interesting idea assuming there are no unique fuel issues and that feeding the motor is no different than feeding the BBQ clipped to the rails of many boats.

One nice thing about the two small Yamahas we have, a 4hp for the Livingtston on the GB and a new 6hp as a trolling motor on the Arima, is that they have on-board fuel tanks. While we don't use the motor's tank on the Arima we always use the motor's tank on the 4hp motor on the Livingston. One less thing to deal with in the dinghy.

I assume a propane outboard would always require a separate tank, so one more thing to deal with in the dinghy.

Okay, you can light into the state-bashing now. Here, I'll get you started..... Florida sucks. It's hot, flat and always on fire. Now your turn.
__________________

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012