Old 07-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #81
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
An automobile starter from the auto parts store is much less expensive than a "marine" starter. It looks the same and serves the same purpose. Would you install one on a gasoline powered boat?
No, I certainly wouldn't....

Some of us KNOW the difference and wouldn't do it for safety reasons...but WE also know when and where many items aren't a SAFETY issue and we save time, money, etc...etc by not blindly following the mainstream marine mentality...as WE have the experience to know better.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #82
Guru

Quote:
An automobile starter from the auto parts store is much less expensive than a "marine" starter. It looks the same and serves the same purpose. Would you install one on a gasoline powered boat?
Then again I might if the auto parts guy showed me where it was EXACTLY the same as the marine version without the certification label and half the price...AND before I installed it, I would probably check with the manufacturer's tech people to make sure it met the safety standard.

You are right about cheaper terminals...but you have to compare the apple with apple stuff the rest of us are talking about...

Old 07-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #83
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
When the part number is the same such as a Delco 1998317 starter for a Mercruiser 3 liter inboard that sells at the marine store for $235 vs the Delco 1998317 that truck owners buy at the auto parts store for $135?

... in a heartbeat.

You just have to know what you are looking at and know how to do a little bit of simple research. Boating writers and the boating magazines sell a lot of very expensive Kool-Aid to an audience that is thirsty for confirmation that their needs are very different than other's.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #84
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
But, do this: Go to Radio Shack and pick up a pack of crimp connectors. Take some Ancor brand connectors with you. Now compare the two. Actually, the Radio Shack connectors are so thin and poorly made that you shouldn't even have to have the good ones to compare them to.
The point isn't that all crimp connectors are made the same by the same manufacturer. Of course there will be cheap stuff, medium stuff, and good stuff. But in each case the product can be "aimed" at any market the manufacturer or distributor want simply by altering the packaging, color, etc.

I would hope that someone shopping for good electrical components for a boat (or anything) would have the good sense to look at a cheap, crappy connector at Radio Shack and know that it was not suitable for the application.

But when the breaker sold at the marine store is virtually identical, even down to the manufacturer's model number, to the same breaker on the shelf in the hardware store except for the packaging or perhaps the color of plastic used but has a price two or three or more times higher, I would think anyone with common sense would realize what's going on here.

Obviously you have to pick and choose your categories. In the case of a quality circuit breaker, buying the one at Hardware Sales for $a.aa instead of the exact same breaker (but in black plastic) at Acme Marine Electric for $z.zzz makes sense.

Buying a cheap, flimsy, under-counter RV or apartment refrigerator vs a stainless steel Isotherm may not make sense despite the huge price difference.

When I asked the owner of the marine electric store a long time ago why he bothered to carry items like the "marine" circuit breaker he'd shown me along with the exact same breaker sold at the hardware store, he said that he carries a stock of the "marine" versions of these components for the customers he gets that will only buy something for their boats that is labeled "marine" These people, he said, firmly believe that, regardless of whether it's a screw, toggle switch, circuit breaker, terminal strip, etc., if it doesn't say "marine" on the packaging it's not suitable for use on a boat. There are enough people like that, he said. to make it worthwhile to stock these items because the profit margin is so high.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:36 AM   #85
FF
Guru

"to make it worthwhile to stock these items because the profit margin is so high. "

Ill say. When we were a listed OEM the discount was 50% +10% +2% for hardware.

So a Meriman List $100 item cost us under $45 if we pre-paid.

Paint is the best for huge discounts!!

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #86

Wow , Really off topic now.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #87
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
Go back and find the first person who took it off topic and take it up with them...pretty common on these forums..probably someone who attacked California for their laws or something...
Old 07-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #88
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
They are all actually AfterEffects jobs using elements from highdef video projects I directed on the south island of New Zealand. AfterEffects is amazing. You can make a rainy day look sunny and visa versa...you can even use it to remove things like sperm whales attacking and sinking California-based boats, something that was going on in the foreground of a couple of these shots.
The south Island of New Zealand has stunning accessible alpine and lake scenery to rival most places in Europe. The north island Bay of Islands is a spectacular cruising ground. Both worth a visit.
Whales travel the east coast of Australia twice a year; Sydney is celebrating a whale calf born in the harbour, Mum and the kid seen frolicking near the Opera House. Priceless! Just don`t tell the Japanese whalers. BruceK
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:41 AM   #89
FF
Guru

"Wow , Really off topic now."

The purpose of these boards is to share information , and perhaps understand something related you didn't know before.

If you wish to stay strictly ON TOPIC , may I suggest a dictionary?

FF
Old 07-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #90
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Wow , Really off topic now."

The purpose of these boards is to share information , and perhaps understand something related you didn't know before.

If you wish to stay strictly ON TOPIC , may I suggest a dictionary?

FF
Dictionary/Thesaurus not needed; just following and contributing to an evolving "off topic" discussion as members take 'topics" where they like. Surprisingly, it has yet to turn to anchors. BruceK
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:29 AM   #91
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
Well, that post is "off topic", isn't it?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #92

City: Bakersfield
Detroit 2 cycle can be tier 2 compliant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I might purchase an older diesel powered boat. Have you heard about the following Detroit 2-Cycle diesel-engine cautionary tip I was recently provided by a working Captain? I look forward to learn your input and thank you for any info you may have. Art

TIP: “You may be looking at a big problem buying a boat with Detroit 2-cycle engines.

EPA is in midst of getting outlawed all of the Detroit 2 cycles. These diesels do not meet tier II or III emission standards. Currently you can run them up to 300 hours annually. After 2013, not at all.

This could force the throw away of perfectly good engines with expensive repower using something politically correct... if boat is equipped with Detroit 2-cycle engines.”
You can bring your Detroit Diesel into EPA tier 2 compliance. Contact company is CCTS - Clean Cam Technology Systems - they are able to
bring your diesel 2 stroke into compliance and the cost is minimal compared to a new engine.
Donald L Fairchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoss View Post
Hmm. With all the crazies (present company excepted) , and the earthquakes ...this is just another reason not to live in California.
You're absolutely right! Too Hot in the summer, and too cold in the winter, STAY AWAY!
2DASEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #94
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald L Fairchild View Post
You can bring your Detroit Diesel into EPA tier 2 compliance. Contact company is CCTS - Clean Cam Technology Systems - they are able to
bring your diesel 2 stroke into compliance and the cost is minimal compared to a new engine.
If CCT were able to pull this off it would be quite a feat. To be legal in CA the diesel testing procedures for over the road use cost several million with bonding, parent company guarantees and warranties required to fix non-compliant engines. Aren't we now talking Tier III/IV compliance? Are you part of the CCT group located in Bakersfield?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:30 AM   #95
FF
Guru

"Currently you can run them up to 300 hours annually. After 2013, not at all"

Will the constitution be violated again by having an observer live aboard your boat?

How will they know what any white boat does?
Old 05-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #96
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Are boats w DDs all white???

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #97
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Mine is.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:20 AM   #98
FF
Guru

Are boats w DDs all white???

"White boat" is a common slang for yachts ,regardless of power choice.