Old 07-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #21
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Okay, you can light into the state-bashing now. Here, I'll get you started..... Florida sucks. It's hot, flat and always on fire. Now your turn.
Well, in Florida, if you are afraid of someone, you can legally shoot and kill them.

I didn't run into this on my recent cruise and I enjoyed Florida.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Refilling propane tanks doesn't seem to be much of a problem in this area. It may be in other places. The two motors in the store were plugged into a pair of backyard BBQ bottles so it would appear that one could use the common tank swap process that so many gas stations have, at least around here. There didn't appear to be any unique fittings required.

We're not in the market for a new outboard so the propane thing is neither here nor there for us. But it's an interesting idea assuming there are no unique fuel issues and that feeding the motor is no different than feeding the BBQ clipped to the rails of many boats.

One nice thing about the two small Yamahas we have, a 4hp for the Livingtston on the GB and a new 6hp as a trolling motor on the Arima, is that they have on-board fuel tanks. While we don't use the motor's tank on the Arima we always use the motor's tank on the 4hp motor on the Livingston. One less thing to deal with in the dinghy.

I assume a propane outboard would always require a separate tank, so one more thing to deal with in the dinghy.

Okay, you can light into the state-bashing now. Here, I'll get you started..... Florida sucks. It's hot, flat and always on fire. Now your turn.

Yeah...if Fla didn't have the weather it has in Jan-Mar (here on the East Coast to compare) and a few coral reefs and palm trees...it could be owned and operated by alligators and I would agree with you 100%...

I have spent enough time in the PNW and Alaska to know which is better for the long haul...wish there was an ICW from AK to Baja California and I would be just another PIA boater for you to complain about clogging up your waterway....

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -
Yes, thank God there is the Pacifc off our and Oregon's coasts to beat the absolute crap out of any boater foolish enough to try to come up here from California. And the commercial crabbers help us out a lot by strewing thousands of crab pots off the coasts of both states to ensnare and cripple those who are foolish enough to try to make the run.

Of course every summer there are a few boaters who manage to make it up but by the time we're done with them what with the rain, fog, wind, volcanic ash, currents, whirlpools and whales that have learned to recognize and attack boats with California hailing ports, they are more than happy to tuck their tails between their legs and head home.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

I was just in Fisheries picking up some more odds and ends for this weekend's boat project and I took another look at the two propane outboards I mentioned. What I hadn't noticed the first time is that both of them can use one of those small propane canisters for stoves, heaters, etc. There is a receptacle for one on the top of the motor. So my assumption about always needing a separate propane tank was wrong. Don't know how long the motors will run on the small canister at crusing speed throttle settings.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #25

City: Hampstead,NC
Vessel Name: HoneyBadger
Vessel Model: 1990 Harkers Island Trawler Typical wooden hull with a Carolina flare and no deadrise at the stern
Just a side note , Everyone was saying that the 2 stroke outboard was going to be banned from use about 4 years ago, there are loads of them still out there and every O/B company except honda still makes 2 strokes and sells the heck out of them.
honeybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #26
Scraping Paint

Yamaha no longer sells two strokes in the US as I learned two years ago when we tried to buy one. Some dealers, knowing this was coming, had stocked up on the more popular models but once this stock is gone that's it. We wanted a new Yamaha 2-stoke 8-hp for the trolling motor on our Arima but while the Seattle dealer still had a stock of five or six of them none of them were long shaft. So we bought a new 4-stroke instead.

Yamaha still makes 2-stroke outboards but not for the US market.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:47 AM   #27
FF
Guru

1st off Don's a pretty smart guy and 2nd there's nothing wrong with 2 stroke diesels if they have that long a history.

However there is a price for using 1936 tech.

FUEL BURN , the DD require at least 60% load to be modestly efficient , so the engine must be sized for the boat.

An oxymoron like a "fast trawler" with 850 hp rared and operated at 5 gph will be a far better boat with modern electronic engines.

For getting home with a couple of dead cylinders , nothing seems to beet a DD 71 series.

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #28
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Starting early tomorrow morn, I will spend most of day aboard (and at first, during high tide, diving under with flash light, fins, mask, wire brush and scraper) the fiberglass boat that has twin screw early 80's 671 diesels... with very low hours but evidently always well maintained and often well warmed up. A 65 yr old very experienced 100 ton licensed captain / boat builder / yacht surveyor plans to be with me. If bottom and underwater gear check out and we find little to no rot or soft spots in stringers, transom, decks, and superstructure then we will fire up the diesels and genset. If they work as well as stated with controls in order we will do a sea test and make ready for a soon haul out. IF - This boat comes into my possession I will post picts and provide additional comments. If I walk away Ė no further mention is planned. Wish me luck!

Ya jus gotta luv it! Playing with water and boats is FUN!! Heck... thatís the reason weíre all in this forum, after all, ainít it?!?!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #29
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybadger View Post
Just a side note , Everyone was saying that the 2 stroke outboard was going to be banned from use about 4 years ago, there are loads of them still out there and every O/B company except honda still makes 2 strokes and sells the heck out of them.

Some areas have banned two strokes completely.It's one of the reasons I don't currently have a real boat.Four strokes are outrageously expensive,even used.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I can see you are open-minded.

That Said: Forget about CA govt, biz... etc. You have no idea of the beauty in CA geography. Nor Cal is a completely different animal compared to So Cal.

And, BTW... SF Bay / Delta are simply gorgeous!

To heck with EPA and all the rules that will develope in U.S. and in other nations around the globe... as we try to develop ways for keeping our living planet viable for continued livable comfort - We all will figure our way through. Secret is to enjoy this journey on the one direction life-trip we each have been afforded!

Don't mislead them. Ca is expensive, crowded, full of nuts, too hot in summer, too cold in winter, STAY AWAY!!!!
2DASEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #31
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DASEA View Post
Don't mislead them. Ca is expensive, crowded, full of nuts, too hot in summer, too cold in winter, STAY AWAY!!!!
You are correct, all that and more is wrong with CA!

All others than us poor Nor Cal folks should simply Say Away!

It's in our... err, their best interest!
Old 07-17-2012, 04:15 AM   #32
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DASEA View Post
From my perspective, STAY THERE!!!!
Old 07-17-2012, 06:52 AM   #33
FF
Guru

80's 671 diesels... with very low hours but evidently always well maintained and often well warmed up

A DD will not "warm up" if not under load.

Ideling in the slip is a disaster.

I hope the "
and often well warmed up" was a one or two hour ride , at least monthly.

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:01 AM   #34
Art
Guru

Quote:
From my perspective, STAY THERE!!!!
Rest Assured - WE WILL STAY HERE! Don't bother to visit... in perspective....

In Nor Cal we have warm, dry, sunny days for well over two thirds of the year, precipitation during winter to keep forests green and reservoirs full, warm freshwater in 1,100 delta miles that include main shipping lanes in city and town lined delta rivers with the addition of levied canals and small islands to boat, ski, swim, fish and comfortably lounge on the hook or with boat nose beached. Gorgeous SF Bay with SF City, Oakland Estuary, San Rafael, Sausalito and other great towns/cities. Fishing galore... in delta, bay, and outside GG Bridge. Short southern hop to Santa Cruz or Montery and north to Bodega Bay, Fort Bragg, Eureka.

Rest Assured - WE WILL STAY HERE in hard to live-around Nor Cal! Don't bother to visit... in perspective... cause your area is so rugged and beautiful to look at - - > You Should Remain There!
Old 07-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #35
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
80's 671 diesels... with very low hours but evidently always well maintained and often well warmed up

A DD will not "warm up" if not under load.

Ideling in the slip is a disaster.

I hope the "and often well warmed up" was a one or two hour ride , at least monthly.

FF
Thanks for 671 input Fred! - I leave 6 AM this morn for full day of review on this boat. She's a rare, one-off professionally designed and custom built, fully fiberglass "barn find" resting in fresh water whose elderly long time (25 years plus) live aboard owner was taken off by doctor's orders. That said, he loves his boat and is showing mid day with assisted accompaniment to join my review and answer questions. I've spoken with him several times - good man... sharpness of mind reminds me of my father in his last years. This craft may be a goodie... and she might not! Surely worth a look. Will eventually post my thumbs up or down on this rare opportunity.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #36
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Rest Assured - WE WILL STAY HERE!

GOOD. Thank you.

Quote:
In Nor Cal we have warm, dry, sunny days for well over two thirds of the year
Boring. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Never again.

Quote:
Gorgeous SF Bay with SF City, Oakland Estuary, San Rafael, Sausalito and other great towns/cities.
Flat. I hate flat. I know you think the little hills like Mt. Tamalpias are mountains, but like the Appalachians, they're not. Plus like Florida California's always on fire or something. That's no fun.

Quote:
Don't bother to visit...

No problem there. I did my time in California, northern California to boot, with the rest of my life off for good behavior.

So rest assured I will never venture "down there" unless my employer sends me down but that would only be to do a quick job and get out. In exchange for that, you and your crowd need to never venture "up here." The mountains are big and scary and the bears and whales love Californians as hors d'oeuvres.

Seriously, I cannot even conceive of trying to live in California --- or anywhere else--- after living, flying, fishing, hunting, and boating up here. Here being defined as northwest Washington, western BC, Yukon Territory, and SE Alaska.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vancouver Island.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	11975   Click image for larger version

Name:	Coast Range.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	11976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Baker 2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	11977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside Passage.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	11978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Denman Peak 1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	11979  

Old 07-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #37
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Marin them pics have way too much blue sky and sun in them to be from here. These must be from the west coast of South America. Or from Norway or such. I mean I live here and you are not doing a good job at sending out a true picture of our area.

Shame on you.
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #38
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFB View Post
Marin them pics have way too much blue sky and sun in them to be from here. These must be from the west coast of South America. Or from Norway or such. I mean I live here and you are not doing a good job at sending out a true picture of our area.

Shame on you.
They are all actually AfterEffects jobs using elements from highdef video projects I directed on the south island of New Zealand. AfterEffects is amazing. You can make a rainy day look sunny and visa versa. Once you define the digital parameters you can even use it to remove things like sperm whales attacking and sinking California-based boats, something that was going on in the foreground of a couple of these shots.

So not to worry. I created the shots in an attempt to lure a few unsuspecting Californians up here so the wildlife can dispense with them.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #39
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Oh I shoulda known better Marin.

Sorry bout that.
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #40
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Can one of the moderators ask what all this has to do with the original topic? Can we stop the CA bashing and move back on track, please?

kthxbia :^)