Old 06-06-2012, 01:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Port Moody
Vessel Name: Big Tuna
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Engine Zinc's...are they necessary?

I am looking for opinions. I have twin Perkins 225ti engines. I don't use pencil zinc's in the exchanger. A boat yard I used told me they don't recommend them as they have actually seen more problems caused by zincs plugging the tubes when the zinc deteriorates and begins breaking apart. They said as long as my engines were properly bonded to the main system, which it is, then zincs were not necessary. This runs contrary to what is commonly suggested. Does anyone have any comments on this?

baldpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:38 AM   #2
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldpaul View Post
I am looking for opinions. I have twin Perkins 225ti engines. I don't use pencil zinc's in the exchanger. A boat yard I used told me they don't recommend them as they have actually seen more problems caused by zincs plugging the tubes when the zinc deteriorates and begins breaking apart. They said as long as my engines were properly bonded to the main system, which it is, then zincs were not necessary. This runs contrary to what is commonly suggested. Does anyone have any comments on this?
-----------------------------------------------
I guess they're banking on the cooler and tube bundle being bonded to the engine?

Many of these boat shops get strange ideas and they pass it on to their workers and customers. Just like this forum you have to be careful with what they tell you and sort out the bad from the good information.

Years ago, a prominent marine shop here changed my oil and put 5 gal of oil in each of my engines (Perkins says they should hold 2.5 gal), and I saw it on the invoice. Their mechanic swore up and down that he knew these engines in and out, because of the oil cooling system they need more oil and you had to check the oil with the engines idling. Finally we called the perkins distributer to get it straightened out. They ended up pumping 2.5 gals out of each engine and no you don't check them idling.

I would be suspicious of that assumption on the zinc. My tube bundle is isolated by the hoses, bracket rubbers and gaskets. I haven't checked it out with VOM meter yet, but I'm not going to risk my $600 copper- nickel tube bundle just to save $2 worth of zinc. There is a reason your cooler zinks go away in a few months. IMHO, It's like buying insurance, just change the zink out before they fall apart.

Larry B

Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:11 AM   #3
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
they are full of it...the only problem WITH using zincs are if you let them deteriorate to the point of disintegrating in your exchanger...which in a perfect world SHOULDN'T happen..but sometime does. If it looks like they HAVE fallen apart...even then it isn't the end of the world as most exchangers can have a few tubes blocked and still cool fine (especially if you aren't running them at full rated power all the time).

the results of NOT using zincs are a lot better documented (and costly) than using them.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
The prudent mariner will follow the manufacturer's advice. MTU, for example, provides the following:

"The entire cooling system must be free of zinc components. This also applies to coolant supply and return/drain lines as well as to storage bins."
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
The prudent mariner will follow the manufacturer's advice. MTU, for example, provides the following:

"The entire cooling system must be free of zinc components. This also applies to coolant supply and return/drain lines as well as to storage bins."
What exactly does that mean? Not using zincs when a manufacturer calls for them or just making sure passages aren't blocked because of deteriorated zincs????
Old 06-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
There are no pencil zincs in exchangers on my Perkins 135's
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
Guru

The range 4 Perkins do not come with zincs as far as I know from my many years on the Mainship group forums. This had been talked about many times in that venue.
My old T6.354 had a zinc in the heat exchanger.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
The range 4 Perkins do not come with zincs as far as I know from my many years on the Mainship group forums. This had been talked about many times in that venue.
Yep, mine does. I try and change it often, but sometimes forget until it's gone.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. psneeld. I think Mr. Rick B.'s post is self explanatory. In the case of MTU engines NO zinc ANYWHERE, including sacrificial anodes, in the cooling system. Following the manufacturers guidelines, as always, is the key.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
My Volvo has no sacrificial anodes. That's how it was designed.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. psneeld. I think Mr. Rick B.'s post is self explanatory. In the case of MTU engines NO zinc ANYWHERE, including sacrificial anodes, in the cooling system. Following the manufacturers guidelines, as always, is the key.
You're right...I just read it too fast.

I know some engines and components do not have zincs and some do...if it was designed to have them...I certainly would as the OP was questioning...not "guessing" like he was advised that zinc pieces are a bigger issue than no zinc.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #12
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoF1 View Post
Yep, mine does. I try and change it often, but sometimes forget until it's gone.
Our FL120s have only one zinc and it's in the main heat exchanger. We change them every six months or so, at which point they are fuzzy but only about half to two thirds gone. I write the date the new one was installed on the bronze cap of the zinc with a Sharpie so I always have a reminder of when it was installed when I do an engine room check.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #13

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: C:\[ESC]
Vessel Model: 2002 Bayliner 4788
Send a message via Skype™ to mattkab
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
Sorry to ressurect an old thread -- but I worked on my engine over the weekend doing basic maintenance (oil, filters, belts, etc) and tried to find the zinc annodes to replace -- couldn't find any! I have the workshop manual, and it doesn't list any zinc locations or part numbers either.

Came to this forum to search for hints to where they could be, and came across this previous post. Is it really possible that there are no zincs at all?

My powerplant is a Perkins Range 4 MT200TI.
mattkab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #14
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
My Yanmar 4LH series had no zincs. I lost the innards to my intercooler and perforated my tranny cooler at 340 or so hours. The engine is bonded. Talking to Yanmar, the acknowledged the engine was sold that way, but added that a zinc in both coolers would help in the salt. The Yanmar parts source in Stuart, FL said that it was a "fresh water only" engine. The seller in Ft. Lauderdale said "That is a hell of of thing to tell a user about an engine series that I hold many warranties on", and that any engine he sold with a raw water pump was a salt engine. Regardless, I'm keeping an eye on the pencil zincs and have had no other issues. I haven't found any other zincs anywhere, but I've always felt insecure about these differing opinions.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #15
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
There are no anodes in or on my Volvo engine.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #16
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkab View Post
Is it really possible that there are no zincs at all?
If memory serves me correctly, my buddy's Bayliner 4588 with Hino engines didn't have any zincs either. Is there a Bayliner 4588 owner out there that can confirm/deny this?

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #17
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
If memory serves me correctly, my buddy's Bayliner 4588 with Hino engines didn't have any zincs either. Is there a Bayliner 4588 owner out there that can confirm/deny this?
Hinos don't use zincs, the tubing bundle is isolated from the manicooler with orings.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #18
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldpaul View Post
I have twin Perkins 225ti engines. I don't use pencil zinc's in the exchanger.
I have the same engines in my DF. No zincs are required. The Perkins Sabre books are very complete - you'll note no mention of engine zincs, this is not an oversight.

One other thing to keep in mind, the PS 225TIs (when painted yrellow they are the Cat 3056) have after coolers that need some checking from time to time. Unless you have the shop manual, this is not noted as a maintenance effort in the owner supplied manuals, it should be. PM me if you have any questions in this regard.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #19
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Most engine are wired/connect to the zinc loop with a fairly big wire. I know my Perkins gen set is. If not and/or you are still concerned you can hang of zinc Grouper with a clip and hang it over the side. I use to have a Grouper zinc, so at most marine stores, connected the bow thruster, until I install a bigger license plate size. The Perkins gen set I ran an additional green wire straight to the big main zincs in the stern, so it should be protected. Might want to check to see if it's connect to the zinc loop?

However, you should still have the exchange check on a regular bases to at least clean ream out for better reaw water flow as junk does build up in the outer side tubes where ther is not much flow. Which reminds me I need to do that this years again.

Also our Perkins gen set engine exhaust is about 6" above the water line and connected to an exhaust hose so when at dock, 99% of the time, there is little/no raw water sitting in the exchange, therefore there is little/no galvoinic action.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #20
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Gooper zinc?