Old 07-21-2015, 02:33 PM   #1

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Nordvind
Vessel Model: Nova Heritage 36
Engine Won't Shut Down

Hello All,

I've encountered this three times now where my Port Engine will not shut down after switching the key off. I switched it off and on at the lower and upper helm but it just kept running. First time was in the locks so I left that way.

My dock is right around the corner from the locks and when I got there tied up and tried again. Hey. Turned off.

It happened three times this weekend. Twice I had to kill the fuel supply. The third time was in the locks again and when I had tied up the key shut it down.

Any one have any ideas of where to start with this problem?

Engines are Volvo Tmd41a with 1200 hours.

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2015, 03:10 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Does your engine use a solenoid connected to the fuel shutoff lever/bellcrank? My Perkins has this with one hot wire running to the solenoid. The solenoid is self grounded for the ground. I found a bad splice in the hot wire and replaced it to solve the intermittent problem.

To troubleshoot it, I temporarily bypassed the old wire with a new wire to the solenoid and connected both ends. I ran it this way for a trip to verify the problem was solved before making it permanent.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:14 PM   #3

Vessel Name: Nordvind
Vessel Model: Nova Heritage 36
I don't know FlyWright. I'll have to look. I thought it would be more of an electronic shut off rather than fuel because it when they shut off it's like turning off a light switch. Instant.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:54 PM   #4
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
You don't have an ignition system, it's a diesel; you are shutting off fuel. Check the wire connections on the engine, particularly the grounds.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:44 PM   #5
Guru

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
You mentioned both the upper and lower station. I found out the hard way to only start and stop from my lower station. I got the switches out of synch at both station several times when i first got the boat and had issues where it would not shut off.
John
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:06 PM   #6
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Check the key switch for loose connections and corrosion. There is probably engine harness plugs at the engine, lower, and upper stations. Check them too. Have someone turn the key off while you watch the solenoid at the injection pump for movement. Something may be obstructing the movement or maybe a loose connector at the solenoid.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:07 PM   #7
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
The fuel solenoid requires power to pass fuel, if it is working. If it is contaminated / stuck open, you get fuel flow regardless. I would check the fuel solenoid valve, since it continues to run. If it Won't Run, then check power to the solenoid.

If the hoses are rubber, use a pair of vice grips to gently pinch off the fuel line and that should stop the engine, and point the finger at the solenoid valve. Don't try that with copper tubing
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:26 PM   #8
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Volvo like mine we have a shut off solenoid it has gone bad or a connection to it
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:12 PM   #9
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I think the 41A has a solenoid that is energized to shut down. That one has the key that you turn to the left of off to stop. But either type solenoid can be used in the VE pump.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:52 PM   #10

Vessel Name: Poach
Vessel Model: Sabreline Trawler
Had the same issue on CAT 3116s. It turned out to be a $15 two way switch in the "brain box" which controlled power to the fuel solenoid. Power to the solenoid closes off fuel flow. Not sure if that's relevant to Volvo 41s.
Poach is offline   Reply With Quote