Engine Warning Alarm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MacDuff

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Pearl
Vessel Make
Cape Dory Trawler 28 #18
My warning buzzer has been going off and on occasionally over the past few weeks. Very brief. Can go for hours, even days without going off. No change in Oil Pressure, Temperature or Voltage. I've run all the necessary checks. Do these warning buzzers ever malfunction?

The simplest systems are sensors that short or open based on pressure, temperature, voltage level, fluid level or some other condition, causing the circuit to the buzzer to complete. The sensors can fail, wires to/from them can short or become loose, etc. More complicated systems feed the sensor's output to a circuit board, provide some logic, and decide what noise to make or what light to light when the sensor indicates an out-of-tolerance condition. Most of the logic circuits will fail eventually in the challenging marine environment, and how they fail is variable. Intermittent, unrepeatable alerts are the hardest to determine the source and fix and may indicate an impending major or minor problem. Keep watching for gauge changes when the alarm sounds.

Not sure what else you can do without knowing what the buzzer means. Is it the same buzzer that sounds when the key is turned on before engine start? (low voltage?, low oil pressure?) Is there something in a manual that can help? If it's an operational alarm (engine/drive oil pressure, coolant temperature, a fluid level, etc.) you should have gauges to give some confidence that all is okay or that might indicate a problem.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I need to look into this more carefully. I'll check it out again tomorrow.

Would be helpful to post the engine make and model.

It's a Volvo Penta TAMD40B 165hp engine. The buzzer is the same as the Test Warning Buzzer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom