Old 05-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #81
FF
Guru

RE: Engine transplant Fiat (IVECO) out Gardner 6LXB in

"and hope to have wharf trials."

Beware!

Most boats that have the proper fixed prop selected NEED to be at operating speed for the prop to work properly.

IF you tie up , the lack of speed of advance thru the water of the vessel will not allow the prop to work properly.

This can overload the engine , even at modest RPM, "much ungood" for a new rebuild.

No problem if you have a CPP!

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:31 AM   #82
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Engine transplant Fiat (IVECO) out Gardner 6LXB in

Don't worry FF have been doing wharf trials even with 250,000 tonne tankers over the last 40 years.
I allways run my engines alongside when not going places for a while. Just keeps everything tickin over.
Wharf trials are mainly to run engine, check gearbox selection and check for fuel and water leaks a very good precaution before preceding to sea or sea trials.

-- Edited by Tidahapah on Friday 20th of May 2011 03:31:44 AM

Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:45 PM   #83
Guru

Engine transplant Fiat (IVECO) out Gardner 6LXB in

OK all done.
After the wharf trials which were good, went out in the Sandy Straights for a sea trial. All went well.
No cooling or oil leaks, one small exhaust leak that we have repaired, shaft & gland all running cool.
BEAUTY!!!!!
Yesterday morning at 10 30 am a mate and I departed Tin Can Bay after 7 months alongside heading home to Mooloolaba.
With a reasonably strong SW breeze 20/25 knots we crossed the bar , no swell so bar crossing was a doddle. (this is one notorious bar crossing in the wrong conditions)
Headed south for home with no real ocean swell and only the SW to punch into had a good trip down the coast, Mr G was magnificient.
All systems performed as expected and required ( exceprt the digital tacho ) looks like the numbers are going.
Enough detail to know the numbers. Slowly built up the RPM with frequent ER checks. Eventually setteled on 1340 RPM and doing a speed of 7.4 knots.
With the prop requireing another 4" pitch for the desired cruise speed of 8 knots @ 1200 RPM this was all good.
Tied up in my own berth at 2030 hrs a good run of 10 hrs from berth to berth. ( In time for most of the State of Origin Rugby League clash, the biggest game of League in this country) By the way we won Queensland 16 New South Wales 12 The Canetoads against the Cockeroaches)
Fuel consumption for the trip was 130 lts of which 16 lts for gen set therefore 10.3 hrs 114 lts 11 lts/hr.
Really happy with this.
It will be good to haul her out in a month or so time and repitch the prop and do more trials, once this is done and the cruise speed/RPM settled I can put new pulleys on the cruise alternator.
By the way I had to run the generator most of the time comming down as it turns out my radio/plotter supply battery is shot and won't stay charged and at present am running with out an alternator on the gardner.
OK guys thats all for now.
On Monday it's off to France for 3 weeks, eating fine food and drinking fine wine.

-- Edited by Tidahapah on Wednesday 25th of May 2011 04:47:03 PM

-- Edited by Tidahapah on Wednesday 25th of May 2011 04:48:11 PM
Old 05-26-2011, 03:10 AM   #84

City: Tin Can Bay, Queensland, Australia
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee, Trawler

Good one Benn

See you when you are next in town
Have a good trip OS

Allan
AllanY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:48 AM   #85
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.

I know your happy as a clam to get that over with! good job and thanks for letting us into your snipe locker.
Sailor of Fortune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:48 PM   #86
Guru

Well back from France so first thing is haul Tidahapah and get some more pitch put in prop.
Prop off and down to Rogers and Lough and Allan has put in an extra 3.5" pitch which is progressive and a little cupping to the blade tips.
Will be interesting to see how this now matches up with the gardner and at what RPM I get my reqyusite 8 Knots.
Hoping for about 1250 / 1300 RPM with a fuel burn of about 10/12 lts per hr. (2.5 to 3 gal/hr)

It looks like I have to go back to work next week so trials may be off for a while.
Got to pay for OS trips and new engines some how.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:37 AM   #87
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

How did you like Paris Benn? Any stand-out experiences?
Pleased to hear Tidahapa is whole again. It's horrible when your baby is in bits, isn't it?
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:00 AM   #88
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Horrible?* ........and expensive.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #89
Guru

Dead right Eric.
This has been a pretty expensive experience but well worth it for the improvements.
Still a lot of work to do to reinstate the wheelhouse and some minor bits on the engine regarding temp & pressure gauges.
My Navman fuel flow meter/Tacho has now packed up (it was never VG anyway) so am looking at installing a flowscan set up.

Peter B,
Paris this trip was pretty low key, rented a unit on the Ille de la Cite as we have done before but no art galleries or museums, just absorbing the local culture a lot of resturant eating and drinking.
Went out to the antique shops and auction houses for the Boss to assess the market.
A week down the Dordogne in a coelic friendly Chateau..terriffic and no food stress for the Boss and then a week in Champagne.
This was terrific, about 5 champagne houses each day from small family places to the big international houses and then a bottle or 2 halves each night.
A really fantastic week.

ran into a Kiwi guy doing the canals on his own boat when in champagne , he looks like he had it sown up.
He had owned the boat for 5 years , kept it in Antwerp and had spent a total of 18 months canal cruising and still loving it.

Down side of whole trip lost laptop on way home and then washed my iPhone in the machine first day back.

Back to work , all is good, looks like I may have recovered all the photos that I thought I had lost
Old 07-02-2011, 01:30 AM   #90
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Sounds good Benn, right up the the losing the laptop and washing the iPhone bit. My wife, who leaves London tomorrow on her way home, via Canada and the US, (having stayed on after me for the birth of our grandson, who arrived last week, and a week late), had her iPhone stolen out of her handbag by a pick-pocket on the tube the other day. So that's a bummer as although, (so far) she still has her laptop, quick texts via phone was going to be the best way to keep track during the next 2 weeks until she gets back to Brissie at the ungodly hour of 0500 Monday fortnight.
How did you come to 'lose' your laptop?
Go the Reds..... (Super 15 Rugby semifinal for the uninitiated),
Pete
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:51 AM   #91
Guru

Good game tonight, Quade Cooper just gets better and better.
Bring on next week
Old 07-17-2011, 11:38 PM   #92
Veteran Member

How did you do the shaft alighment. It looked like you has six mounts on the engine and gear. I am always interested in the technical stuff.

thanks for the pictures.
MauleOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:12 AM   #93
Guru

Really do it the old fashioned way.
Put her in , use jacking bolts to ,lift and push, shim the feet and use feeler gauges for the coupling.
Had her lined up in approx 3 hrs after we started. ran nice and cool on trial with with shaft gland nipped up and minimal water ingress (Gortex packing).
making boat dollars as we speak so I can complete the job over the next couple of leave breaks.

On an interesting vessel at the moment, standard 60 mtr Anchor Handler but we have fitted 4 x 20 tonne / hour water makers on the make deck.
Our job is just to sail around making water and then discharge it into a barge that takes it down to barroe Is a big gas project (Class A nature reserve)
2 barges on line one discharging down at the island and one being filled by us about 30 miles away.
keeps me out of trouble until next week.
next vessel is a 83 mtr DSV (Dive support vessel)