Old 01-03-2016, 12:43 PM   #21
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Just curious, will not a set of digital tachometers like Aetna get you as close as a synchronizer? Where does the synchronizer get its signal in this case?

Some get a signal off an alternator. Then a new belt on only one side gets installed, or a new pulley or ---

Also, engine speed, prop RPM... per side can independently vary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I have Aetna digital tach's
After four seasons don't see the need for synchronizers.

Actually I don't try to get them, exactly the same. Close, i.e. Within 10 or so rpm is fine.

I have Aetna digital tachs, too, and I can come close enough so additional sync gauge (needle) or a full-up Glendenning system doesn't seem all that necessary. Under calm conditions, I can usually get the top of the bell curve around 5 RPMs with the Aetnas; rough water, between 5-10 RPMs... differences because the RPMs and props do indeed seem to be impacted by conditions.

The boat came with Faria gauges, and if the helm had included a needle gauge that would have been fed by signal wires from the tachs BUT it would not have been using any info from the tachs themselves. Instead, the sync gauge would have simply been using the input as an easy wiring extension from engine sender to needle. A Faria-like sync gauge would simply take RPMs from the two engine senders and the needle would display when the two are (mostly) equal. IOW, without regard to what the actual RPMs are at any given time; equal = synced. Don't know how other brands do it.

Our senders are magnetic and take info from the flywheel. (There's some magic there I don't fully understand.) The Faria tachs didn't have wonderful adjustments for calibration. The Aetna tachs just want a tooth count, easy.

-Chris

Old 01-03-2016, 12:45 PM   #22
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
The OP asked about gas engines. On those there is usually no tach cable tap to operate a Glendinning. On gas boats either digital tachs or a needle type sync gauge will be good enough. On lots of gas boats it is really hard to hear the beat frequency of being out of sync. Hard to sync by ear, some of them.

Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:39 PM   #23

City: Houma, Louisiana
Vessel Name: M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Model: 45ft Bluewater Coastal
How do you tell where the tach pick ups are an if they are putting out the same? The engine syn. gauge with the needle is much cheaper that buying twin digital tachs. Glendenning looks to me a great set up just out of my budget at this time.
kartracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:29 PM   #24
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
The OP asked about gas engines. On those there is usually no tach cable tap to operate a Glendinning. On gas boats either digital tachs or a needle type sync gauge will be good enough. On lots of gas boats it is really hard to hear the beat frequency of being out of sync. Hard to sync by ear, some of them.
Not entirely the case, Ski:

Synchronizer - Glendinning Products, LLC.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:53 PM   #25
Guru

True, it can be adapted to a gasser, but it is a bunch of hardware right on the front of the crank, and it will prevent you from easily changing a belt. PITA, like a 3116.

I stand by my point that on a gasser, the needle sync gauge is good enough.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:21 PM   #26
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Model: None, but looking
Main advantage to the synchronizer in my opinion is the single lever engine control for both engines if having to change change speed often like on the ICW. Our Glendenning setup has a speedometer cable type setup connected to the front engine pulley. Very easy to disconnect when changing belts. No electronics involved in the speed pickup.
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:15 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
True, it can be adapted to a gasser, but it is a bunch of hardware right on the front of the crank, and it will prevent you from easily changing a belt. PITA, like a 3116.

I stand by my point that on a gasser, the needle sync gauge is good enough.
Pulling the cable off one of their drive adapters is about as easy a task as unscrewing anything, say the cap off a bottle ; so I don't understand the issue here. And, it's not like you are changing belts all that often.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 01-03-2016, 06:29 PM   #28
Guru

Fair enough. Just remembering the PITA 3116 rig with the drive hardware, but the PITA part was really the belt guard, not the drive hardware.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:36 PM   #29
Guru

A full cover belt guard sure would make it a PITA on both counts.