Old 01-27-2015, 01:38 AM   #161
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I know you've not been particularly in favor of this. But, that might change. I recommend:

Get a nice condition, well powered 44" Tolly... planning hull... fast as needed! Comfortable, easy to maintain, tough as nails!! Affordable and holds its value. There are plenty to chose from in your PNW area.
Already got the "problem" solved, thanks. And as you probably recall, I'm not a fan of Tollys aesthetically. Too cabin-cruisery-looking for me. And not nearly fast enough.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:05 AM   #162
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: I know this will blow my image. In spite of the fact we have sports cars we never drive more than 5 to 10 mph above the speed limit. We couldn't live with ourselves if extremely high speed on our part led to a death. We also do not under any conditions drink and drive. Guess there goes the party girl, wild and out of control picture you had of me.
Yo, WB

5/10 mph above speed limit is bout all you can consistently get away with, and that's the extra I average too. 5/10 xtra mph is about how much is realized while letting a one or two "Copper-Stopper" speedsters pull ahead. I agree completely - don't put others' lives in danger on the road for extra speed or otherwise. I don't drink (or smoke wacky tobackie)... so... no problem there ~ ~ ~ ! Lots of fun cruisen in my 67 Wildcat though. Passing in overdrive with 360 hp and near 500 lbs fpt can be a thrill! Only a few thousand miles on completely rebuilt engine - by a renowned professional race car machinist and fine mechanics!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:20 AM   #163
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Marin, I cruise at close to 20 knots now. I'm not retired and my time is precious and I can afford the fuel. And it is kinda nice to have the Cummins synced up and humming at 2400rpms....they sound pretty damn good!

As far as go fast boats go.....for the longest time(and it still may be on the market), during my broad searches of diesel powered boats on YW, a 40 foot Fountain always showed up. It was powered by twin Yanmar 440hp and boasted a fuel burn of 20GPH at 55knots!!!!!! How is that for efficiency??? Anyway, I was always intrigued by that boat..... always thought it was kind of novel.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:21 AM   #164
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Yo, WB

5/10 mph above speed limit is bout all you can consistently get away with, and that's the extra I average too. 5/10 xtra mph is about how much is realized while letting a one or two "Copper-Stopper" speedsters pull ahead. I agree completely - don't put others' lives in danger on the road for extra speed or otherwise. I don't drink (or smoke wacky tobackie)... so... no problem there ~ ~ ~ ! Lots of fun cruisen in my 67 Wildcat though. Passing in overdrive with 360 hp and near 500 lbs fpt can be a thrill! Only a few thousand miles on completely rebuilt engine - by a renowned professional race car machinist and fine mechanics!!
Wifey B: In NC only 5. Other places, like 10. Yeah a quick pass or a fast acceleration here and there. Zero to 60 in 3 sec. They say 197 top speed but I'll never freaking know that, they could be making that number up for all I know. 560 hp. And a target car for highway patrol if there ever has been one. So better not go in the fastest pack because if they can only get one, then you're it.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:22 PM   #165
Art
Guru

Quote:
Wifey B: In NC only 5. Other places, like 10. Yeah a quick pass or a fast acceleration here and there. Zero to 60 in 3 sec. They say 197 top speed but I'll never freaking know that, they could be making that number up for all I know. 560 hp. And a target car for highway patrol if there ever has been one. So better not go in the fastest pack because if they can only get one, then you're it.
WB

560 hp - Ouch! 3 sec 0-60 Fun! Type of auto? Engine cubes? 197 mph at WOT Eeeeekkk!

My 67 Cat has original factory quoted top end of at 148 mph. I had her bury the needle once... lots more to go. I backed off, taint no sense to go faster than that unless on a pro track with pro car - IMO. Cat weighs in at 4.9K lbs.; with recently professionally rebuilt high performance motor, 1/4 tank high test, full size spare tire and Linda and me. Stop watch on measured mile 5.9 sec 0-60. Not too bad for AC'd, power everything, 48 yr old classic "Luxo-Muscle-Car"!

Rebuild engine has <3K miles. Once she gets fully broken in (10 K mi) I plan to take her to a dyno shop and find out what is really being created at her rear wheels. If I want to get a bit more (50 +/- extra hp)... cam, intake manifold, and carb can be modified. Think I'll keep her as is... enough fun already, and, no tune-up hassle!
Old 01-27-2015, 12:32 PM   #166
Guru

Quote:
WB

560 hp - Ouch! 3 sec 0-60 Fun! Type of auto? Engine cubes? 197 mph at WOT Eeeeekkk!

!
Wifey B: 911 Turbo S. It's my dream car. Only put about 4,000 miles a year on it. Yes, I know...way over the top, but it's cute and I like it. Plus we live in the perfect place to drive around topless. The car topless, silly men. Convertible.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:36 PM   #167
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Wifey B: Plus we live in the perfect place to drive around topless.
Plus you live in the perfect place to get skin cancer.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:10 PM   #168
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Plus you live in the perfect place to get skin cancer.
Wifey B: You are correct and it's freaking scary so I'm very careful. Lay out under the flybridge top or at home under the patio cover. Swim after dark a lot. And high SPF lotion repeated many times a day. We look at each other and just grab the lotion and put more on. Besides sort of enjoy it. But we avoid sunburn like the plague, because it is. Unfortunately, we have members here who have told the danger from personal experience.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:00 PM   #169
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Relative to the title of the original post the size of engines or engine should have absolutely nothing to do w the number of engines employed.

Unless suitable power cannot be found in the number of engines that is needed or preferred.

A boat requiring 200hp should have 200hp irregardless of the number of engines.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:51 PM   #170
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Relative to the title of the original post the size of engines or engine should have absolutely nothing to do w the number of engines employed.

Unless suitable power cannot be found in the number of engines that is needed or preferred.

A boat requiring 200hp should have 200hp irregardless of the number of engines.
Actually I have come across a weird situation where that rule did not seem to work. On some of the narrow express type boats with IPS drives they are using three engines because to get more HP out of the two there is not enough room in the hull for larger engines side by side so they dump a third motor fore or aft on the mid line. The New MJM Zern 50 ft express offers the three motor option. With these fast boats it comes down to how much HP(speed) the buyer wants not so much what the hull calls for.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:59 PM   #171
Guru

Yes and I've seen outboards w five or so engines on their sterns. But for the most part engine power comes first and then the number required to get the job done.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:52 AM   #172
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
Art the SD seems to fit my boat best without using buttocks angles in the definition.
For those that are interested in design and especially the QBBL there is a thread on BoatDesign.net under "boat design" that speaks to the Quarter Beam Buttock Line (QBBL). Most of the guys on BD.net know a lot more about it than me.

I believe one can browse there w/o joining.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:51 AM   #173
Art
Guru

Quote:
For those that are interested in design and especially the QBBL there is a thread on BoatDesign.net under "boat design" that speaks to the Quarter Beam Buttock Line (QBBL). Most of the guys on BD.net know a lot more about it than me.

I believe one can browse there w/o joining.
Eric - tried to locate BD.net That correct link address?
Old 01-28-2015, 12:24 PM   #174
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Eric - tried to locate BD.net That correct link address?

Try boat design . net Art

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:49 PM   #175
Guru

Sorry Art,
Abbreviations and acronyms are a PITA .... HAHA. I usually use the whole expression before going to the acronym on a thread cuz I hate that mystery stuff.
Good forum to spend time on. Much bigger than TF. They have threads on almost everything. Lots of smart guys and pics of the blow you away catergory and the links will take you around the world.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:12 PM   #176
Art
Guru

Quote:
Sorry Art,
Abbreviations and acronyms are a PITA .... HAHA. I usually use the whole expression before going to the acronym on a thread cuz I hate that mystery stuff.
Good forum to spend time on. Much bigger than TF. They have threads on almost everything. Lots of smart guys and pics of the blow you away catergory and the links will take you around the world.
Thanks, Eric / Craig... I'll try to look into that "BD" site. I have hard time fitting in this site alone between doings all day and eve.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:22 PM   #177
Guru

Art you're a young feller but I managed while on a road trip to Edmonton Alberta. Haf'ta find my wi-fi too.
Dirtiest white car you've ever seen and slight sheet metal damage from ice. The Beluga Jetta's no longer new.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:55 PM   #178

City: Kent Island
Vessel Name: Sundowner
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 MrkII
Rocks,

I think that Gulfstar was well bought into using Perkins engines, the 36 in this year had 4 power options that I know of a single 4.154 or a 4.236 and twins in the same engine. The next smaller 4 cylinder Perkins is the 4.108 at about 50HP. I have the same boat as you but have twin 4.236. I run 7 knots at 1800-1900 RPM. I can get 9 knots at WOT, but I don't push my 1975 vintage engines that hard for more than a min or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by On The Rocks View Post
Just curious why most twin engine displacement trawlers have engines that are the same hp as would be used if the boat had a single screw?

For example my 36 fd trawler has two 62 hp engines. Since 62 hp is more than enough power to cruise at hull speed wouldn't it be more efficient to have two 31 hp engines and still be able to cruise at hull speed?
Gulfstar 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:24 PM   #179
Guru

Gulfstar 36,
Great boat.
The Perkins 4-108/7 is 36hp at 3000rpm. Never seen one run at any other rpm on a boat. I think they were in taxi cabs in England making 50hp at 4000rpm.
Nice to see that some manufactures offered a range of engine options. If I had one I'd probably opt for the twin 108s. Rather have a newer engine though. I have a 4-107 Mitsu in my 30' Willard. It's a very good but not particularly modern.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:16 PM   #180

City: Merced CA
Vessel Name: none
Vessel Model: pipe dream
" The GB36 had only one configuration that made sense and that was a twin FL 120hp at 8 to 10 knots. "
Manyboat, with all due respect I disagree. I owned a '77 GB 36 for many years with a single FL 120. It was perfect for my usage--and made a lot of sense in terms of ease of maintenance, economy, etc.
Dawdler