Old 01-22-2015, 10:15 AM   #141
Guru

Art the SD seems to fit my boat best without using buttocks angles in the definition.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:43 AM   #142
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
The active word here is murky. Never thought of defining a hull type by it's angle of attack or running angle but the concept has merit. Consider a long. And slender hull w straight aft lines. A long "wheelbase" on the water and they have a tendency to run very level .. like your blue boat in the pic. And the green boat has spray rails aft to break the outbd flow from running up the sides of the hull pulling the stern down. Dosn't change the shape of the hull but changes the way it runs on the wAter.
Your Devlin boat has lots of planing hull chacteristics and quite a few ....... out of time. ....... I'm back.
FD hulls of course are usually slightly over driven but if they're not the"ll run perfectly level. For a SD or planing hull to run level it suffers huge amounts of unessessary parasitic drag w a slight reduction in wave making losses.
Most all SD hulls have some or considerable rocker that will pitch the bow up some to excessively so but when slowed down will be much more like FD hull and run much more efficiently. However the straight run hull running almost level will give a much better ride .. usually well worth the losses in efficiency.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:50 AM   #143
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
Art the SD seems to fit my boat best without using buttocks angles in the definition.
For years, my pop had a beaut of a single screw 1950, custom built sport fisher, 37' raised deck, SD hull - woody... with flying bridge. In early to mid 60's he and I restored her (PO had beat her up badly, out fishing), and, we enclosed her convertible area into a nice salon for family. Still left plenty of cockpit for fishing. Came with its original, but tired 155 hp in-line Nordberg Knight gasser. We installed 185 hp Perkins. Cruised her all over New England waters at 11 to 13 knots. WOT was 15/16 knots. Real pleasure to cruise and good in seas too. Sipped fuel. That was back when marine diesel was cheaper than gas and bellow $0.30 a gallon. I figure we were getting along at $1.00 +/- per hr at cruise. No wonder we used her so much!

Wish I had pictures. She was a doll!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:09 PM   #144
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Eye posted;
"Art the SD seems to fit my boat best without using buttocks angles in the definition."

Good observation IMO as very few hulls escape definition by the buttock lines but although that's a numerical interpetation, the numbers remains full of fuzzy definitions. All should realize definitions of P, FD and SD hulls run up and down or down and up through the three types w no hard cutoff points. The types are full of lots of variations and very fuzzy areas in between. And every element of the differences is general and foggy too. People like me like things undecided so the gray areas just offer room for thinking and discovering new ways of thinking, labeling and discussing all of the above. Those that like things decided and black and white like to close a thread .. at times early on IMO.
But many boats like mine and Marin's are obviously of one type. But planing elements and disp elements can be found in Marin's GBS. The Krogen's, Fisher's and Willard's are pure full displacement w no elements of faster hull types. Semi planing/Semi displacement hulls are by their definition word "semi" are partly this and partly that.
In the US there are those from the west and those from the east. So what is guy from Tennessee or Colorado ... It's muddy, fuzzy and semi this and semi that. OK not a great analogy ....
Eye's boat has the unmistakable look of a semi disp boat and most all would see it as such .. myself as well but from a definition standpoint it becomes hard to justify as the boat has some very strong planing hull chacteristics.
Another boat that looks like a SD design is also closer to a planing hull (actually closer than Eye's Devlin is the Camano's. They've got a very heavy and distinctive trawler .. SD look but are more shallow on the bottom and generally flatter than most planing boats. Lighter too I belive. And they are very efficient but to me they are not very SD at all.

But few look at the bottom of a boat to classify it. So the Camano's are sold, bought and operated as a trawler and semi-displacement boat .... notice I said boat and not hull.

I counterdict myself above saying there are no hard lines tween the hull types. One can get far enough into either planing or FD hull types to have a hull that no one would argue to be anything but ......
It's the semi-hulls that have grey definitions of type.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:18 PM   #145
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I like the Racor because it is easy to do an element change without mess, elements are cheap, and a glance at the bowl confirms no water.

Don't know how you guys change spin ons without spilling fuel. A cup or ziplock helps, but that stuff is still going to run out. Then you have to fill the new one, somehow.

On my racor, I crack loose the t-handle, then pump the primer on the injection pump about 10 times. This draws down the fuel level about an inch. Pick up element and quickly into a bucket. Usually I spill nothing.

With level down an inch, I don't need to top up. Engine can handle it.

And yes, changing element can send a bit of crud on to the secondary. But that is what it is for.

I look at a set of primary spin on's, then wonder, is there any water in there?? Only way to tell is remove and dump. Messy.

I like the clear bowl.

Edit: How the heck did this post end up here?? Strange.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:09 PM   #146
Guru

Ski we are way off target but on a roll. Drift happens in snow and internet posts all the time. Good Racor post. I also like the big high capasity spin on fleetguard mud filters that Tony favors.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:48 PM   #147
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
When you have no specific place to be from day to day....a trip of 5 to 10 miles at 6 knots isn't all that bad.....
BAM!!!! Post of the year!!!!
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:58 PM   #148
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I guess that explains why retirees love their trawlers so much.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:11 PM   #149
Scraping Paint

City: -
Originally Posted by psneeld
When you have no specific place to be from day to day....a trip of 5 to 10 miles at 6 knots isn't all that bad.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
BAM!!!! Post of the year!!!!
True, but.... when your shortest run is 22 miles or so and most of your boating during the year is limited to weekends, an 8-knot boat well and truly sucks.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:25 PM   #150
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Worth saying again ...

Today's run from Vallejo to Benicia/Martinez and return (exercising engine and observing/enjoying nature's and man's doings in Carqinez Strait) averaged 4-plus knots SOG against the current and eight-plus knots with, at about 1.5 gph for 6.3 knots through the water. Weather was cool, but having the pilothouse doors closed kept us comfortable. Pitied the one sailor seen in an open cockpit. ... When buddy-boating with friends, I generally leave earlier so their faster boats can catch up.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:26 PM   #151
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Originally Posted by psneeld

True, but.... when your shortest run is 22 miles or so and most of your boating during the year is limited to weekends, an 8-knot boat well and truly sucks.
Wifey B: And some of us do have places to go and things to do. Not places we have to go but places we want to go.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:49 PM   #152
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Worth saying again ...

Today's run from Vallejo to Benicia/Martinez and return (exercising engine and observing/enjoying nature's and man's doings in Carqinez Strait) averaged 4-plus knots SOG against the current and eight-plus knots with, at about 1.5 gph for 6.3 knots through the water. Weather was cool, but having the pilothouse doors closed kept us comfortable. Pitied the one sailor seen in an open cockpit. ... When buddy-boating with friends, I generally leave earlier so their faster boats can catch up.

I guess you just wave when sail boats pass you. Maybe when I get old enough I will mellow out and slow down. I still like sailing and powering at speeds faster than my kayak. I can mellow down and relax at 9K but I don't think I could do 6k in a power craft. But I am only 76 maybe at 86 or 90. Good for us that we can do our own thing out on the water.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:06 AM   #153
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
I still like sailing and powering at speeds faster than my kayak. I can mellow down and relax at 9K but I don't think I could do 6k in a power craft. But I am only 76 maybe at 86 or 90..
Well, when I get up there I suspect that speed will still be important to me. Life's too short and there's too much to see to creep around at 6 or 8 knots. Even at 30 knots we'd never see all the stuff we want to see between here and the top of SE Alaska before we head off to wherever we go boating after this planet. Eight knots ain't gonna cut it up here much longer I think. Our GB's days are numbered........
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:15 AM   #154
Guru

For those moving from sailboats to trawlers, 7 knots seems like a good speed generally. For those of us moving from 55 knots then we just can't do that. Doesn't mean there's anything at all wrong with 7 knots. Just not us. And like you, Marin, I don't see us ever slowing down to 7 knots. Maybe when we're quite old 12-15. Of course we'd have to keep a fast boat too.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:20 AM   #155
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Well, when I get up there I suspect that speed will still be important to me. Life's too short and there's too much to see to creep around at 6 or 8 knots. Even at 30 knots we'd never see all the stuff we want to see between here and the top of SE Alaska before we head off to wherever we go boating after this planet. Eight knots ain't gonna cut it up here much longer I think. Our GB's days are numbered........
I know you've not been particularly in favor of this. But, that might change. I recommend:

Get a nice condition, well powered 44" Tolly... planning hull... fast as needed! Comfortable, easy to maintain, tough as nails!! Affordable and holds its value. There are plenty to chose from in your PNW area.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:23 AM   #156
Master and Commander

I'm finding myself driving slower on the freeway in recent rears, moving at the speed limit and having everyone pass me. ... If I want to take the Coot to Sausalito or Tiburon for a restaurant meal, I take two days for the round trip. If in a hurry to do it in one day, I take the car.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:34 AM   #157
Art
Guru

I usually run speeds on hwy where maybe one or two vehicles are going slightly faster - for - cop bait!

I'm well aware what is 360 degrees within site. Old habit - for reasons - LOL!

Couple tricks to keep cops happy:

- Stay off outside lanes
- If you're speeding and cop is seen - instantly slow down. If they are tracking by radar and you abruptly slow soon enough their gun has seconds of confusion and then settles on your reduced speed. Your slowing also shows them you have respect and helps to please the cop.
- Don't often speed in bright red vehicle... attracts cop eyes like red cape attracts a bull!
Old 01-27-2015, 12:47 AM   #158
Master and Commander

Perhaps some forum members would prefer this boat over a trawler:

Old 01-27-2015, 12:50 AM   #159
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Perhaps some forum members would prefer this boat over a trawler:

Wifey B: ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, seriously I would for a day or so, but we did decide we wouldn't enjoy those speeds and that type boat regularly.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:55 AM   #160
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I usually run speeds on hwy where maybe one or two vehicles are going slightly faster - for - cop bait!

I'm well aware what is 360 degrees within site. Old habit - for reasons - LOL!

Couple tricks to keep cops happy:

- Stay off outside lanes
- If you're speeding and cop is seen - instantly slow down. If they are tracking by radar and you abruptly slow soon enough their gun has seconds of confusion and then settles on your reduced speed. Your slowing also shows them you have respect and helps to please the cop.
- Don't often speed in bright red vehicle... attracts cop eyes like red cape attracts a bull!
Wifey B: I know this will blow my image. In spite of the fact we have sports cars we never drive more than 5 to 10 mph above the speed limit. We couldn't live with ourselves if extremely high speed on our part led to a death. We also do not under any conditions drink and drive. Guess there goes the party girl, wild and out of control picture you had of me.