Old 08-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Engine replacement cost? Ballpark?

Hey guys,
A Broker (and licensed captain) was showing me a boat a month or so ago. It was a 2006 NT32 with a cat diesel (i believe). I asked him how much to replace the engines in these boats and he told me six grand start to finish. I was stunned that it could be that low.
ATM I am eying a 1980ish sea ranger with working twin volvos in it; https://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...url=&imc=pg-fs . I just read on a different post that legacy volvos are not supported with parts. If this is true, what types of engines could the engines be replaced with and at what cost could i expect to be associated with it if i shopped around for a decent mechanic? Any help would be appreciated.

bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -
(Bligh- Sent you a PM)

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
First, find a new broker to deal with. Anyone that tells you he can replace a Cat (200-300 hp) for $6,000 is smoking something. Maybe a 2-3 cylinder sailboat engine, but not one for a trawler.

Secondly, can you live with the Volvo? Parts are expensive but often available. Unless the core engine is shot- high blowby, burning oil, then you can often keep them running a whole lot cheaper than replacement- see below.

The listing says that they are 140 hp each. Probably TAMD 40s which aren't that old. Get the actual model from the seller and post a question on boatdiesel about parts availability.

If you have to replace them, one of the best deals in boating is the Cummins remanufactured 6Bs. They are essentially a new engine, with a new engine warranty from Cummins. The 210 hp will cost about $35K for a pair and is one of the most solid engines available for trawlers today. Figure on another $10-15,000 for transmissions, labor, mounts, etc. Hopefully you can use the same prop shaft and props.

You might get very, very lucky and find a pair of running take outs for half that much, but the odds of doing it and being satisfied are slim to none. For example there is a "like new" 170 hp Volvo advertised on boatdiesel for $9,000. Installation costs will be the same as the remanned engine.

I realize that is almost as much as the boat you are looking at costs, which is why most old boats like that are rarely repowered. If you were to buy the boat for $60k, spend $50K on new Cummins remans, then the boat might be worth $75K.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
Guru

David,
Thanks for the reply.
Honestly,
I dont know the state of the engines yet. I guess my main issue is reliability as I would expect it is for everyone. I will do more research on these engines before I get too far along.

Marin, got your message. Thanks for your help, again!
Old 08-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
When I bought my Allied Mistress (sailboat) in 1994, I replaced the original Westerbeke diesel in it with a new Yanmar diesel (because at that time I thought we would do a circumnavigation, and I wanted a new engine). The price was $14K, and they lost money on the deal. So $6K for a Cat replacement? Nah. No way!

John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Bligh eBay is as good a source as any for doing preliminary research on system replacement while judging the feasibility of a potential boat purchase.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=360423060512

While shopping for my boat I would log onto eBay from my smart phone and price replacement parts while sitting on the subject boat. It was a great tool for me to judge real world numbers and offered me a break from the euphoria experienced while shopping.

Boats with iffy engines quickly are removed from my short list as there are too many boats for sale without that stress IMO. My 2 cents

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
It was a great tool for me to judge real world numbers and offered me a break from the euphoria experienced while shopping.
A break from the euphoria..
Old 08-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Ok, I know what it costs to repower a boat. I've done it. Several times.

My last repower is a good example of what you'd be facing.

The original engines in my 47' Bayliner were 330HP cummins 5.9L

We replaced them with factory reman Cummins, same exact engine.

Cost per engine $15,000
Core Charge $3500 each

Total bill to replace >$50,000

The parts price for a reman Cummins 330 engine in whats called a repower configuration, no core charge is approx $20,000 each.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #9
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Actually there is/was a place in Crisfield ,MD that would do Cat 3208's for around 6 grand. There was some misc charges by he marina next door for holding your slip and forking the engine out...but all in all the deal of the century...and the place is/was a world renown cat rebuilder.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #10
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Popular high end brands are highly over rated. Many thousands can be saved by buying less popular and less prolific engines.

My engine repower was a Mitsubishi marineized by Klassen. I'm very happy with it.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:12 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Actually there is/was a place in Crisfield ,MD that would do Cat 3208's for around 6 grand. There was some misc charges by he marina next door for holding your slip and forking the engine out...but all in all the deal of the century...and the place is/was a world renown cat rebuilder.
There are probably places that will rebuild a large diesel like a 3208 for $6k but that price is misleading. It is a very long way from a in and out the door price. Saying that a $15,000 cummins reman engine is "the price" is much closer, but its not accurate either.

I'd be willing to bet that floor $6k you get the engine internals rebuilt. Probably everything else is bolted back on. That means old water pump, old turbo, old seawater pump. What about the injection pump? And the after cooler, or the starter?

The real issue that people do not realize is that. When an engine is in need of rebuilding, the reset of the stuff that has to do with the engine is often not far behind and should be address as well.

Case in point is my latest repower.

Just from my memory...

New exhaust elbows
All new hoses
Shafts needing polishing
Drip less shaft seals
Transmissions not rebuilt but checked
New gauges

The list goes on and on.

The point of this post is that if anybody is considering a repower they need to be realistic about what the out the door cost is going to be. This is even more true if you're considering a boat that needs repowering.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #12
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Several years ago a complete cat factory remaned 3208 210 hp was less than $5000.00, the downtime saved made it the best choice for a repower on a truck or piece of cat iron.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:50 AM   #13

City: West Vancouver
Vessel Name: Redoubt
Vessel Model: 50' Gulf Commander
Bligh. Sent you a PM. Cheers, Neil
nmuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:54 AM   #14
FF
Guru

Popular high end brands are highly over rated. Many thousands can be saved by buying less popular and less prolific engines.

My favorite is the International DT 360 or DT 466.

NO engine swop is worthwhile IF you have to have it done.

Just too expensive in man hours.

A new engine for a gas IO might be worth the hassle , but on a diesel, a free boat would seldom be worth the hassle.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #15
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Eric wrote;
"Popular high end brands are highly over rated. Many thousands can be saved by buying less popular and less prolific engines."

How-a-bout some credit Fred?

I've always liked Intercours'in Harvester stuff. What is the DT 360 and DT 466? I assume they are truck engines or from farm equipment.

Went to work on my boat yesterday and passed two water pumps by a farm ditch running hard as I drove by. And there they were when I went home.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #16
FF
Guru

<How-a-bout some credit Fred?>

Sorry the quote markers no longer work on my ancient key board.

Will use < and > in future to mark quotes for you.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #17
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
When my Perkins 6.354's finally die. . . I think I'm going in a different direction. No more worrying about gallons per hour or fuel and power curves, I'm going for sheer power:

The K98MC - YouTube
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #18
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Bligh:

I have done a repower. I have also first hand knowledge of one at the other end of the spectrum.
Mine was to swap our running, saleable Volvo TMD40s (same as in that Sea ranger) for Volvo TAMD 41s. My net cost for the pair was about $5k.
The one at the other end was a pair of Cat 3126 (in) for a pair of Ivecos (out) for a total cost of about $110k.
The big factor is whether the new engines will just bolt in, or do you have to start from scratch on things line stringers, shaft logs, exhaust pipes, electricals, instruments, etc.

Having Volvos, I know where I can always get parts, should they become necessary. I also know how reliable these engines are, which is phenomenal.

When I was doing my research on the swap, I joined Boatdiesel.com and found several available pairs of engines, of several manufacturers, for very reasonable prices. You should do the same if you are considering this as one of your criteria for choosing a particular boat.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Near Nashville
Vessel Name: No name either
Vessel Model: No boat yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
<How-a-bout some credit Fred?>

Sorry the quote markers no longer work on my ancient key board.

Will use < and > in future to mark quotes for you.
Why don't you just use the "Quote" (Reply with Quote) button on the bottom right of the post?
Old 09-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #20
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
OR, buy a $10 keyboard and plug it into your USB port. Using a $6 (on sale) remote keyboard for this post.