Engine replacement cost? Ballpark?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The problem with an engine swop is many boats were NOT built to ever do a swop.

If the engine is under the stern deck, like on a sport fish , a change every 1000 hours is no big deal.

If like on lobster boats there is an engine hatch with a matching hatch in the overhead , no big deal getting the crane hook to work.

On boats with complex interiors and no hatches the job becomes a massive woodwork project , besides a R&R .

The ER on a Mikelson Sport Fisher is accessed by electrically controlled hatches. (2) This allows you to stand up when performing maintenance or changing out an engine. Since the engines are mounted all the way aft, a cellar (storeroom) is created with an entrance at the companionway stairs for washer dryer, tool storage, etc. Although she's a sport fisher, the ladies really like the interiors. (No, I have no monetary connection with Mikelson nor have I ever owned one. )

Attachments

• Mikelson ER Hatch.jpg
    Mikelson ER Hatch.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 74
When I looked at a re-power on a boat that we ultimately didn't buy, we were looking at about $17K for a John Deere 100 HP 4 cylinder replacing a 270 HP Volvo. Working with a John Deere dealer and going through the applications on Boatdiesel.com, we found that most of the 270 HP on the Volvo was not needed and the 130 HP was better matched to the boat than the original Volvo. So in re-powering one of the things I would consider is not replacing the engine with a like model, but how much horsepower is really needed and does it make sense economically to put in an engine with that horsepower.

Tom

we were looking at about $17K for a John Deere 100 HP 4 cylinde

The John Deere farm folks sell factory rebuilt engines , for modest prices , and 2 or 3 times a year there is a <sale> no core charge.

For most boats I would marinize one of these with a Twin Disc tranny and run it <forever>.

Although with my keel cooler and dry stack ,no marinization is needed.

Switching to a dry stack might fit some interiors.

Last edited:
My last boat a CA 34 had new John Deere 4045TFM engines installed in 2006 and the original receipts that came with the boat were right around $60K.

Back
Top Bottom