Old 12-07-2014, 07:27 AM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Bellingham, WA / Waterford, CT
Vessel Name: Change of Latitude
Vessel Model: 2005 GB 42 Classic
Sunchaser,

Not sure what you meant by this (always hard to figure these things out in forums unless you have a long history with a person):
"...not enough owner time to really follow these piddling things along."

We cruise at least a minimum of two months each year, including a five month trip to Alaska one summer, completed several circumnavigations of Vancouver Island, and made many trips in the Broughtons, Desolation, to Rupert, Kitimat, etc. We have been watching this issue closely over the past several years, trying to figure it out. It really concerns me as does any deviation from normal parameters in our engine room.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated as is the help from everyone else!

Cheers,

Don

djleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:10 AM   #22
Guru

Don, I haven't posted here for some time now but someone brought your post to my attention so I thought I would respond to try and save you a lot of time, grief, and money. I would suggest you get yourself another mechanic, find a good one and keep in mind that advise and troubleshooting over the internet is worth just what you pay for it. The odds are pretty good that your problem has nothing to do with your oil system. I am willing to bet the issue is exhaust. Your seeing soot from the exhaust in your coolant and that causes the coating you see. The exhaust manifold near one of the coolant ports is probably corrodes and forcing exhaust onto the coolant. I have seen this many times in different engines. Good luck, I'll be signing off again. Chuck

Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #23
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
To follow up as Chuck intones and I suggested earlier, get the COOLANT analyzed for HC and other stuff. If you change coolant out, do an analysis every 100 hours, this is not an unusual thing to do on chasing problems - suggest using Cat SOS service for this. Compare to your other engine as you do this coolant testing.

And yes, your mechanic may need a change out too. As stated, we on TF are of unknown expertise so dig deeper with good eyes and hands on assistance. Take two pills and go home is of little solace it would appear.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:11 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Bellingham, WA / Waterford, CT
Vessel Name: Change of Latitude
Vessel Model: 2005 GB 42 Classic
Thanks, Capn Chuck and Sunchaser!

The mechanic is highly respected in the area. No one is better with JD engines within 80 miles and he has far more work than he can take on. We trust him. The coolant analysis showed no carbon (hydrocarbon) in the coolant, only oil.

Really good ideas that you shared:
1) do an analysis every 100 hours. We will do that.
2) compare the two coolant analyses. We will do that.

Wonderful suggestions. Thanks so much!

We will be out for our winter cruise after Xmas and will be watching closely. We will also have coolant analyzed afterwards, in both engines. We also have a meeting scheduled with the mech.

The nice thing about this group is that you get many ideas to think about that you had not considered. Really appreciate your help!! Thanks!

Cheers,

Don
djleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:24 PM   #25
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
I've seen this happen when someone used a funnel or can with a pour spout that had been used for oil and not properly cleaned before using for antifreeze, or vice-a-versa.