Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
Guru

City: Pensacola
Engine overheating

A while back I posted a few of the issues I discovered on my trawler in the return cruise. I'm still having issues with over heating in my stbd engine. (Perkins 6 cyl 135).
I changed the impeller out and I replaced the coolant. Engine then went into repair for a fuel injector leak.
Now fuel pump replaced and today went for a short cruise. Engine was 3 gallons low on CoolAnt! Put new Coolant in and started engine. Noticed coolant was going straight out the engine exhaust. Water was green. So I went out under idle to run her a bit because I wasn't sure how much I lost but didn't seen like too much and engine temp was steady.
Noticed temps starting to climb so came back into marina. Engine went to shutdown when trying to dock and I ended up taking another slip due to wind conditions.
Now I am trouble shooting it.
Thoughts?!?
Engine oil is black. Don't think it's a head issue and I didn't run it past high temp alarm

Old 07-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Heron View Post
Thoughts?!?
It is good to make most of your mistakes early.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Heat exchanger.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 07-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #4

Don't know anything about Perkins but assume heat exchanger is like others and the coolant going out the exhaust suggest you have a leak in the heat exchanger as was noted by Giggiton and you are losing coolant.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
Heat exchanger.
I agree.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #6
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkliftt View Post
I agree.
Ditto.... If your 6.354's are standard, as in no conversion kit on them that has replaced any factory original equipment as far as the heat exchanger, then that is about the only place where coolant can escape to the exhaust... at least that I know of.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #7
Guru

Standard with no mods. Should I take the whole assembly apart or just drain and remove element and clean with muratic acid?

How can I be sure it's not the Head Gasket?

Won't hold coolant when I start up. It gets pissed right out the wet exhaust.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #8
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
More than likely when you remove the heat exchanger you will find that it will need replacement because the coolant is flowing into the raw water, a bad thing... Do you have coolant in your oil?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 07-22-2012, 02:11 AM   #9
Scraping Paint

City: -
If the problem was with the head gasket I would expect to see a lot of white smoke/steam in the exhaust.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:08 AM   #10
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
If the problem was with the head gasket I would expect to see a lot of white smoke/steam in the exhaust.
True. And with so much coolant loss if it were a head gasket you might hydro lock your engine when it filled up a cylinder. You are not seing any of those symptoms I hope. A radiator shop can test your HE if you bring it to them so you can confirm that is the problem.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:37 AM   #11
FF
Guru

How can I be sure it's not the Head Gasket?

R&R injectors on this engine requires no extra work (like re-timing) so remove the injectors and borrow a DIESEL compression gauge.

Will instantly show weather the head is leaking , and the individual cylinder pressures should go in the maint log book.

IF it is the heat exchanger (best guess) and you have 2 engines of the same age,,,,,,,,,,,,?

FF
Old 07-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #12
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkliftt View Post
True. And with so much coolant loss if it were a head gasket you might hydro lock your engine when it filled up a cylinder. You are not seing any of those symptoms I hope. A radiator shop can test your HE if you bring it to them so you can confirm that is the problem.

The OP's original description begs a few more questions:

Engine was 3 gallons low on CoolAnt!

Where did that coolant go? Is it in the bilge? If not, is the raw water pump impeller so worn that it went out an open seacock? If not then how did it climb above the height of the exhaust injection point?

Put new Coolant in and started engine.

Noticed coolant was going straight out the engine exhaust. Water was green.

Points toward massive failure of the heat exchangerbut doesn't answer first question.

So I went out under idle to run her a bit

Really really bad idea!

Noticed temps starting to climb

Could there be any other result?

Engine went to shutdown when trying to dock

Do you have a high temperature shutdown system installed (highly unlikely) or do you mean the engine seized and stopped?If you have a high temp shutdown, what is the setting?Did the engine slow down and stop over a few seconds, or did it stop suddenly?

Engine oil is black.

Was it black before this event and is it black now after playing with it a bit?

Don't think it's a head issue and I didn't run it past high temp alarm

It may not have been a head issue before the "sea trial" but it couild well be now. The temperature report doesn't follow if the engine stopped due to a high temperature shutdown signal ... that would be far higher than the alarm level. There is only one way (aside from a faulty temp sender and alarm setting) that the events and conditions described could occur ...

Where is the temperature sender mounted? If the coolant level goes low and the sender element is uncovered it cannot read coolant temperature can it? Is the sender mounted on the header tank? Is that tank surrounded by air?
Old 07-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #13
Guru

Forklift, I am not seeing any signs of hydro lock. Engine starts immediatley and idles fine it is only when under a load do I see the rising temp.

Rick B, to answer your questions:
1. The coolant appears to be leaving via the wet exhaust. I noticed a LARGE ammount of discharge in the water from that wet exhasut.
2. It is not seen or detected in the oil. Oil is not higher than normal level nor is it milky.
3. NEW impeller in and I pulled the cover and looked at it and it normal. Sea water strainer is normal and no coolant seen in strainer.
4. 8 Gallons is the capacity on my perkins for coolant.
5. YES it does have a high temp shut down sensor and it auto shut down at about 240 degrees.
6. I need to locate the sensor to determine where exactly it is located.

Oil still looks good. I am hopeful the head gasket is still good and this is heat exchanger issue.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:46 AM   #14
Guru

exhaust

Marin, didnt see any unusual exhaust except the coolant going out.
no large white smoke a little perhaps but not much
Old 07-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #15
Guru

On a related note my mechanic showed up and my Mani-cooler is shot. Turns out corrosion in the core element combined with a angled down riser allowed a hole to corrode through the element. There was sludge everywhere. The coolant pressure test revealed a pressure issue in the aft end of the coolant.

Need to order a new bundle Mani-cooler.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #16
Scraping Paint

I can only go by what you wrote and what Perkins states in its manuals.

But I am very comfortable stating that automatic shutdown of a recreational marine propulsion diesel is virtually unheard of.

It is a feature on your engine when it is used to drive a generator but even the largest most expensive propulsion diesel engines on the planet will only shutdown automatically on loss of lube oil pressure to a few critical parts.

High temperature will slow them down and sound an alarm and even that can be over-ridden to ensure full power is available "no matter what" when the ship is maneuvering in close quarters where loss of power can lead to a disaster far greater than destroying an engine.

The "more to the story" comment is based on your statement that the temperature never rose above the alarm level followed by a later statement that the engine shut down automatically at 240*. Is your temp alarm set at the same temp as the shutdown?

When that engine is used as a radiator cooled generator the shutdown temperature is just over 200*F So, like I wrote, there is more to the story than we know about.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:51 AM   #17
FF
Guru

Need to order a new bundle Mani-cooler. __________________

How many propulsion engines does the boat have?

FF
Old 07-23-2012, 07:20 AM   #18
Guru

FF
I have 2 engines.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:28 AM   #19
Guru

Rick
I am done explaining this to you. Stop trying to allude that there is some thing "more to the story". It's offensive.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:50 AM   #20
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Heron View Post
Rick
I am done explaining this to you. Stop trying to allude that there is some thing "more to the story". It's offensive.
Wow, why so touchy?

I love learning about engines and boats. Your setup sounds like something I have never seen or heard about so I am interested. Why not share information about what could be a unique setup?

There are a couple of other Perkins users here, at least one with the turbo version so maybe they will chime in with more info on how theirs are configured.

I'm sure that I am not the only person here who would like to know. Isn't that the purpose of the forum? Why did you post anything at all if it just makes you angry to write about your boat and engines or answer questions that might help someone else in the future?

If your alarm and shutdown are at the same point, which is what you described and is more of the story that is untold, then you should tell your mechanic so he can reset them with a wider span so that the alarm actually tells you something other than your engine just quit.

Did the boat builder install the shutdown or was it a refit at some point? What temperature is the alarm setting? The shutdown setting?

You wrote that you left the dock with the engine idling and pumping green coolant overboard, did the engine ever go above idle?

Closed Thread