Engine Muffler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Propnut

Vessel Name
Voyager
Vessel Make
41' PT Europa
Removed an obsolete TV8-540 Perkins engine from my Trawler. There was no muffler in the exhaust system and I thought the noise level was very acceptable.
I just installed a Factory Reman 6BT 210 Cummins and I’m debating on whether or not to put a muffler in the new exhaust system. I’m running 5” wet exhaust 16’ from the mixer to the transom. I’ve read on a few forums that the Cummins is loud.
I just wonder if it’s going to be louder than the old V8 Perkins that I removed. I’ve also put 1” sound down sound insulation with vinyl barrier on the engine room ceiling and bulkheads.Do most trawlers utilized a muffler in the system. My mixer is 16” above the waterline. Thoughts and recommendations are appreciated.

Don

Probably will be louder with the Cummins 6bt. If you can fit a muffler, do it.

Straight pipe on those is like riding a Harley. Sounds great. For five minutes.

Then you want ear muffs.

If you can fit a decent muffler setup, might as well do it. It certainly won't hurt. And in the grand scheme of repower costs when fitting up a new exhaust, it's not much extra cost.

My old Chris Craft (Twin 327s, gas) had very small bullet shaped mufflers. You just can't beat the sound of an old gasser.

Im guessing you would wish you had mufflers on the new diesel if you don't install them now. If the engine is already in place you might have missed your window for an easy install.

pete

Check out Centex Venertone inline mufflers. Our boat has 210 cummins and did not have mufflers. We added them. The Harley comment describes our boat before the mufflers. Easy install if you have room and the right exhaust hose slope.

Back
Top Bottom