Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-13-2017, 05:02 PM   #21
Guru
 
Capt.Bill11's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5,436
I'd put a Racor 900 up stream of the original filter with a 2 micron element in it to catch any junk in the fuel well before it gets near the engine.

Plus the 900 elements have vastly more surface area than the 500s do.
__________________
Advertisement

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:12 PM   #22
Guru
 
Lou_tribal's Avatar
 
City: Quebec
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 3,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
I'd put a Racor 900 up stream of the original filter with a 2 micron element in it to catch any junk in the fuel well before it gets near the engine.

Plus the 900 elements have vastly more surface area than the 500s do.
Shouldn't be the filtering order from coarse to fine? So in other words between my fuel tank and my existing filter a coarse racor 30 micron than my 10 micron filter? If I put a 2 micron in front of a 10 micron, the 10 micron become useless as the smallest particles reaching it will be 2 microns so smaller than its filtering capacity. Or I am totally out of my mind and wrong
__________________

Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:14 PM   #23
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: AICW
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 20,149
No you are not wrong or crazy...logic can sometimes be applied in several ways....


Something often not popular to discuss on TF..... its one way or the highway...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:26 PM   #24
Guru
 
Lou_tribal's Avatar
 
City: Quebec
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 3,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
No you are not wrong or crazy...logic can sometimes be applied in several ways....


Something often not popular to discuss on TF..... its one way or the highway...
LOL you know sometime logic from one eye can looks illogic from another, nothing bad. We just need to be humble and admit sometime we may think something is right but is not. Personally I am often wrong, except when arguing with the Admiral, in that case I am always right
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:34 PM   #25
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: AICW
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 20,149
Good luck with that logic train....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:23 PM   #26
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 10,053
Lou, your existing filter is also called a CAV filter in Australia. Big plus the replaceable filter is cheap, around $10,vs about $80 here for a Racor one, though I buy mine in a box from a certain US supplier,costs half that even with freight. If you add a Racor as primary you`ll find it easier to drain than the Lucas/CAV, they are a good filter, I don`t need the large version as Lehmans don`t filter much more than they burn.
Re the Racor plastic bowl I carry a spare just in case, readily available from Racor stockists.
__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:25 PM   #27
Guru
 
alormaria's Avatar
 
City: Trenton
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,121
Sounds like an opportunity for a "day" tank. Run as many filters as you want to fill it and then feed the engine from it.
__________________
Al Johnson
34' Marine Trader
"Angelina"
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:35 PM   #28
Guru
 
Lou_tribal's Avatar
 
City: Quebec
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 3,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Lou, your existing filter is also called a CAV filter in Australia. Big plus the replaceable filter is cheap, around $10,vs about $80 here for a Racor one, though I buy mine in a box from a certain US supplier,costs half that even with freight. If you add a Racor as primary you`ll find it easier to drain than the Lucas/CAV, they are a good filter, I don`t need the large version as Lehmans don`t filter much more than they burn.
Re the Racor plastic bowl I carry a spare just in case, readily available from Racor stockists.
Indeed the filter is really cheap. I bought a box of 10 filters for 3$CA each in an automotive stock that was closing. Knowing that I change it once a year, twice if I am lucky, this will last some time
Considering the cheap price, I am thinking about adding a second one the same with a valve to switch from both or one or the other so I can change it underway. This would give me a 10 microns filtration with the ability to change cartridge easilly in case of bad fuel and also I can carry only one type of replacement cartridge.
Many options to nthink about!

Thank you Bruce!
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:46 PM   #29
Guru
 
Lou_tribal's Avatar
 
City: Quebec
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 3,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
Sounds like an opportunity for a "day" tank. Run as many filters as you want to fill it and then feed the engine from it.
This is a good idea, the only issue is where to fit the day tank. Even if a day fuel usage would not exceed 20 gal on my boat it will be difficult to fit a tank in my layout. Not that it would not be possible but it would make things a bit to much "packed" in the ER. I would prefer to preserve accessibility to different ER areas. AaI still have a place where I could fit this but curently I am using this space for storage. Maybe some matter for thought for a later improvement phase

Thank you anyway for this idea!
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:05 PM   #30
Guru
 
tadhana's Avatar
 
City: New England and Canada to Florida
Country: USA EAST
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 577
about $80 here for a Racor one,

Here in Florida we can buy the Racor filter elements for $12-$18.
tadhana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:16 PM   #31
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 10,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadhana View Post
about $80 here for a Racor one,

Here in Florida we can buy the Racor filter elements for $12-$18.
Racor price here is a disgrace. I shop around, no one sells for much less,so I import my own in lots of 10 or so.
I imported, freight incl, 2 Johnson Ultra switches for the retail price here of one. A friend bought Ronstan parts made here from Defender,with freight, for less than he could buy them here. Madness here in the importer/wholesaler/retail sectors chain.
__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:50 PM   #32
Veteran Member
 
Transaxial's Avatar
 
City: Edmonton area/Nanaimo BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Soul Fisher
Vessel Model: Palmer
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Standard industry practice for an engine of your size/type would be a racor 500 as a primary filter/water separator, then the fuel lift pump, then a screw on secondary, then to the injection pump.

The secondary really does not need to be downstream of the lift pump if that would make it hard to mount.

Where is your filter located now?

Filter heads are available with generic mounting brackets. Get a filter head that fits a common commercial filter like used on CAT, Cummins, etc. Then elements are available anywhere.

Edit: Found this cross reference to Lucas 296:

Part Details

Looks like a secondary already, 10 micron. That is a standard rating for your type injection pump which I think is Stanadyne or CAV.

Maybe what you need to add is a racor primary on the bulkhead.
Good advice here but for final filtration I like to use some of the newer and better, lower micron filters readily available in the trucking and heavy equipment fields. I have replaced several OEM final filters or sometimes just left them in and added a really good 2 micron final filter like a Cat 1R 0749 high efficiency. These are used on just about every piece of Cat equipment and on all their truck engines. Even the latest high pressure common rail systems that need super clean filtration. The base can be ordered at Napa for about $25. You need a filter thread size of 1" and 14 threads per inch and you can order different thread sizes to match your supply lines. These filters can flow enough fuel for a 600 HP engine and are available at almost any truck shop, service station, etc for about $25-40 apiece. There are lots of other brands of filters interchangeable with the 1R 0749 but I think it is the best.
Transaxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:56 PM   #33
Guru
 
koliver's Avatar
 
City: Saltspring Island
Country: BC, canada
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
LOL you know sometime logic from one eye can looks illogic from another, nothing bad. We just need to be humble and admit sometime we may think something is right but is not. Personally I am often wrong, except when arguing with the Admiral, in that case I am always right
Of course! Except that you would never say so in front of her!
__________________
Keith
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:06 PM   #34
Guru
 
Lou_tribal's Avatar
 
City: Quebec
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 3,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Of course! Except that you would never say so in front of her!
Of course! I have so much more pleasure to let her think she is right so I can say later on :" you see... I told you" LOL

I am very lucky she has a wonderful sense of humour
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 01:06 AM   #35
Guru
 
Capt.Bill11's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Shouldn't be the filtering order from coarse to fine? So in other words between my fuel tank and my existing filter a coarse racor 30 micron than my 10 micron filter? If I put a 2 micron in front of a 10 micron, the 10 micron become useless as the smallest particles reaching it will be 2 microns so smaller than its filtering capacity. Or I am totally out of my mind and wrong
The way I look at it is on a low flow engine I like a large capacity 2mic element first in line if I can.

As I said it can keep the junk well away from the engine and you can go a long, long time between element changes. And it can be "polishing" any of the fuel that flows through it. Also due to the much larger surface area of say a Racor 900, if you have or get some junk in your fuel you are much less likely to get caught with a clogged element at an inopportune moment.

As to the 10mic filter being useless, not the way I look at it. If that is as fine an element as the engine manufacturer speced then it's a fail save at that point.

I've never seen the point of only having filters with a very small surface area elements in them as the only filters in the fuel delivery highway.

But obviously this is just my opinion based on decades of experience of doing so and never finding a negative to it. So feel free to ignore it.

There are plenty of ways to achieve similar results.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:07 AM   #36
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 11,458
Replace my on-engine fuel filters annually. They're protected with a small micron Racor filter further on the fuel chain, which is replaced as needed.
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:36 AM   #37
Guru
 
North Baltic sea's Avatar
 
Country: Finland
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 925
Ford lehmas fuel filter is 10 microns as standard? and the machines are serviced from 10 to 20 000 hours prior to the reform?


each filter will be enabled better to catch smaller particles slowly, finally, does not pass anything through.


your engines is not a common rail, so you do not need 2 micron filtration, so that the fuel nozzles work well. old-school diesel engine to put up with a lot more and larger contamination in the fuel.


if you make a two-part filtration could be a good 30 microns and 10 microns, of course, you can put 2 microns, but no sense in it there is no proof you have more than 20 years the machine worked well.
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:09 AM   #38
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,460
IMHO...


- staged filtration is the way to go with courser filtering first then finer.
- 10 mics more than adequate for that engine as final filter
- Vacuum gages a must for all filters (at $20-30 each)
- spin on buck filters preferable to Racors although I have had both


Vac gages will not only save money on wasted filter changes but will also allow you to plan changes that do not affect trips and help diagnose potential engine issues.


I have had plenty of Racor 500'sw and 900's but find they have a few issues - hard to replace, prone to air leaks, lower filtration areas, costly housings, awkward available vac gages, and relatively costly filter cartridges.

Some folks believe that a 10 micron filter stops all particles above 10 micron and acts like a gridded 'screen'. Filters actually pass a range of sizes called out in their beta ratings and are best used in their designated 'ranges' with courser filters working on the fuel first. You will achieve a better filtration on the fuel and a filter life of 3-5 times the fuel volume when properly staged filtration is used with vac gages.


If the goal was only to filter down to the smallest particle size why would we stop at 2 mics and not go to sub micron filtration?


Here is the link again to pics and examples of how to do it for the long haul and for potentially poor fuel and higher use.....


Fuel Systems & Filtration - Seaboard Marine
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:15 AM   #39
Guru
 
Lou_tribal's Avatar
 
City: Quebec
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 3,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
The way I look at it is on a low flow engine I like a large capacity 2mic element first in line if I can.

As I said it can keep the junk well away from the engine and you can go a long, long time between element changes. And it can be "polishing" any of the fuel that flows through it. Also due to the much larger surface area of say a Racor 900, if you have or get some junk in your fuel you are much less likely to get caught with a clogged element at an inopportune moment.

As to the 10mic filter being useless, not the way I look at it. If that is as fine an element as the engine manufacturer speced then it's a fail save at that point.

I've never seen the point of only having filters with a very small surface area elements in them as the only filters in the fuel delivery highway.

But obviously this is just my opinion based on decades of experience of doing so and never finding a negative to it. So feel free to ignore it.

There are plenty of ways to achieve similar results.
I understand your point and it makes sense too. Having a bigger capacity fine filter that does all the work and a second filter acting only as a fail safe.
Thank you Captain Bill
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:19 AM   #40
Guru
 
Lou_tribal's Avatar
 
City: Quebec
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 3,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Baltic sea View Post
Ford lehmas fuel filter is 10 microns as standard? and the machines are serviced from 10 to 20 000 hours prior to the reform?


each filter will be enabled better to catch smaller particles slowly, finally, does not pass anything through.


your engines is not a common rail, so you do not need 2 micron filtration, so that the fuel nozzles work well. old-school diesel engine to put up with a lot more and larger contamination in the fuel.


if you make a two-part filtration could be a good 30 microns and 10 microns, of course, you can put 2 microns, but no sense in it there is no proof you have more than 20 years the machine worked well.
Yes my engine is a very old school one so I do not think it will need a 2 microns filter and like you said he worked with a 10 micron for 20 years. On the other hand what can do more can do less so even without the need for it a 2 microns would just do the work too.

Thank you!
__________________

Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×