Old 01-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
Guru

Engine Monitoring Gauges

I'm going to install pyro and boost gauges to monitor my Cummins diesels. I've run across a couple of Hewitt gauges: Hewitt Industries (Dual Turbo Boost Pressure Gauges)
and
Hewitt Industries (2" Dual Pyrometers)

These gauges are not marine quality as told to me by a company rep.

I'm also considering a dual read ISSPRO gauge: Combo Pyro & Boost Gauges - ISSPRO Inc.

These are not marine quality either. Why I can't figure, what else besides an airplane would have two engines?

Anybody have any experience with either Hewitt or Isspro gauges?
The Hewitt dual gauges are about half the price. Some guys on boatdiesel have complained about the Isspro gauges but the company does stand behind their products. I don't know anything about Hewitt.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post

Anybody have any experience with either Hewitt or Isspro gauges?
Our boat has Isspro pyrometers, a probe in each exhaust elbow and a dual readout temp gauge at the helm. The photo shows the position of the sensor on the port engine. I refer to the gauge periodically as we're running as a check on the load on the engines.

We've had the boat more than 14 years and I have no idea how the EGT system was on it prior to our buying it. We've replaced one probe in the time we've had it. Other than that, the system has worked perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
Muffler.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
Guru

I have used Isspro gages on both trucks and boats. I never had an issue with any of them. I like the Turbocator as it makes a nice clean package.
When I had my Cummins 6BTA I used a VDO boost gage as it had a transducer sedning unit and I didn't want to run tubing to the bridge.
What hp Cummins engines do you have? Mine was a 270 hp and it maxed out the 30 psi range. More HP and you'll need a larger range.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Isspros are good. A great place to get any type gauge or sender for marine use is Lauderdale Speedometer and Compass. Great knowledge and service.

Lauderdale Speedometer and Compass
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Isspro EGT thermocouple and gauge on my turbo diesel Land Cruiser. Good stuff. Will probably replace it with the turbocator to get boost and tinker with the wastgate. Not sure where I would put the sensor on my VolvoPenta as I prefer the EGT pre turbo. Currently I have nothing on the boat.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I have the Isspro dual gauges you're refering to on my boat.

They work great and look nice. I also had them on another boat, never had a problem.

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
Guru

Nice setup Kevin. I don't have the real estate on my instrument panel to install more gauges so I'll probably have to get a molded plastic mount that attaches to the top of the panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
What hp Cummins engines do you have? Mine was a 270 hp and it maxed out the 30 psi range. More HP and you'll need a larger range.
I have the 330's so I will need the 60 psi gauge if I go with the Hewitt gauges.
Everyone seems to like the isspro turbocator's and from what I've read they stand behind their product. The Hewitt gauges are the only ones I've found that display EGT from two engines on the same gauge. Same for boost. That configuration makes it much easier to see at a glance when one engine is out of the "groove". For that reason that's what commonly used on aircraft.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:27 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Nice setup Kevin. I don't have the real estate on my instrument panel to install more gauges so I'll probably have to get a molded plastic mount that attaches to the top of the panel.
For my repower I completely re-designed the dash. New instruments, new placement, etc...

There's a member here on TF that has a CNC machine and does this kind of work professionally.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #9
Guru

You won't be staring at your EGT or Boost so whatever style you get will work fine.
Figure the "rule of thumb" is 10 psi per 100 hp so if you can find a 40 or 45 psi max gage that would suffice.
Even if you bury the gage it won't be a problem. I burried my Isspro 30 psi gage in my Dodge-Cummins truck several times every day for 7 years and it held up to that abuse.
With the boat it was only burried during the occasional WOT test.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Kevin: I noticed you have an Azimuth ship's compass. I had one years ago and fell in love with it. Easy to calibrate too.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #11

City: Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
I have used Isspro gages on both trucks and boats. I never had an issue with any of them. I like the Turbocator as it makes a nice clean package.
When I had my Cummins 6BTA I used a VDO boost gage as it had a transducer sedning unit and I didn't want to run tubing to the bridge.
Not all manufacturer's go with the 'more is better' idea when it comes to boost. Many Cat's run around 24psi, and this includes the 2200, and the 3000 H.P. engines. Designing a turbo into an engine is a very complicated equation. Volume of the fuel, the combustion chamber and the air have to be taken into account.
Anthonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #12
Scraping Paint

City: -
The dual ISSPRO EGT gauge we have is not like the ones pictured in earlier posts. It's this one.

Name:  image-1498818481.jpg
Views: 4328
Size:  66.7 KB
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote