Old 02-13-2019, 04:21 PM   #1
Guru

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Ironsides
Vessel Model: 54' Bruce Roberts steel sailboat hull, coastal LRC, 220HP CAT 3306.
Zinc for Tran?

I have a Twin Disk hydraulic transmission MG 5050A. It works fine, but I'd like to change the oil. The manual tells me that there is a pencil zinc somewhere close to the heat exchanger. I think the heat exchanger is not included with the unit, because I cannot find it. The main engine has a pencil zinc in the sea water pipe, which is easy to replace. I wonder, if that is the only zinc for this purpose, or the transmission must have one, as well?
I attach photos, where you can see the hydraulic hoses come into the transmission, but I do not see any cooling hoses. Is it possible that the hydraulic oil cools the transmission?
Attached Thumbnails
fP90tpr5QsytYb1BxjKUXw.jpg   3OXQ+tOeRqWuWi1kF9cifw.jpg   fTiOOfyQSy6JPn+2upSuNA.jpg   IMG_2542.jpg   IMG_2541.jpg  

IMG_2540.jpg  
LeoKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:23 PM   #2
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
The hydraulic lines go to and from the cooler. Find the other ends of the lines.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:33 PM   #3
Guru

Vessel Model: 54' Bruce Roberts steel sailboat hull, coastal LRC, 220HP CAT 3306.
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
The hydraulic lines go to and from the cooler. Find the other ends of the lines.
I did. The lines go to the hydraulic pump, which is driven by belt from the engine. From the pump, the line goes under the main engine into a tank. See photos.
Attached Thumbnails
adDut7uDRxSgmL5SeY3FGw.jpg   EbJLtYM+S3SUIH5gwbRhJA.jpg  
Old 02-13-2019, 06:53 PM   #4
Guru

I see 2 separate systems. In the fist set of pictures is the transmission oil lines to the oil cooler. Just about every boat has them. Somewhere in the seawater flowpath is a heat exchanger that cools the transmission that the first lines are connected to. Maybe 350 psi max on the oil side.

The second set of pictures shows a hydraulic pump and tank system that drives a windlass or hoist of some type with hydraulic fluid pressures up to 3000 psi. It uses hydraulic fluid, not transmission oil. It should not be connected to the first unless it shares a common seawater line for cooling.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Old 02-13-2019, 07:01 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
I see 2 separate systems. In the fist set of pictures is the transmission oil lines to the oil cooler. Just about every boat has them. Somewhere in the seawater flowpath is a heat exchanger that cools the transmission that the first lines are connected to. Maybe 350 psi max on the oil side.

The second set of pictures shows a hydraulic pump and tank system that drives a windlass or hoist of some type with hydraulic fluid pressures up to 3000 psi. It used hydraulic fluid, not transmission oil. It is not connected to the first unless it shares a common seawater line for cooling.

The boat has hydraulic steering. So, the other lines go to the PH and back to the rudder.
I only see one oil line go in and out from the transmission. I thought that was the hydraulic line.
I will open the floor this weekend and look for more lines. I'll take more photos.
Do you see anything related to the pencil zinc, the manual talks about?
Old 02-13-2019, 07:09 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoKa View Post
The boat has hydraulic steering. So, the other lines go to the PH and back to the rudder.
I only see one oil line go in and out from the transmission. I thought that was the hydraulic line.
I will open the floor this weekend and look for more lines. I'll take more photos.
Do you see anything related to the pencil zinc, the manual talks about?
Follow the seawater path from the sea strainer to the engine exhaust. That is where any zincs would be.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Old 02-13-2019, 07:26 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Follow the seawater path from the sea strainer to the engine exhaust. That is where any zincs would be.

I know one of them. Right after the sea chest where the water comes in. There is a pencil zinc. I replaced it today, because it was completely gone. Since it was not long time ago when this pencil was replaced, I thought there was more somewhere. I just put new zincs on the hull in December. I also have a stray current isolator installed. I don't know why the pencil zinc was gone so fast?
Old 02-13-2019, 10:05 PM   #8
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
In your photos is one picture of the schematic of the gearbox and the gearbox pump/control valve setup.

THe dwg. clearly shows the output port TO the heat exchanger and the return port FROM the heat exchanger.

THose are the two 1/2" ID lines seen in the photos of the gearbox pump and the control valve.

Those lines should go ONLY to the gearbox oil cooler likely mounted on the side of the engine block near the stringers. THey will have NOTHING to do with anything else. They are strictly for cooling the gearbox.

They will disappear below or near to the engine underside. The seawater will also run through that heat exchanger/oil cooler to cool the gearbox oil so also follow the seawater circuit as suggested. Your system is VERY similar to mine although a different engine and a similar gearbox, mine a MG506. TD followed very similar designs.

THe zinc you are looking for is for the gear oil cooler, not the gearbox itself.
There will be ONE zinc in that gear box oil cooler on the end cap. It's a small one and if like mine be very carefull about the length of the zinc when you replace it or you will damage the cooling tubes. If the cooler is anything like mine it is expensive to replace and is basically not available any longer. Cut it 9/16", no longer, from the shoulder where the zinc pencil screws into the cap. Check the zinc often, every 50 hr or so untill you determine the needed interval.

When you find the gear cooler post a photo and I will tell you if it is like mine.
The gearbox AND the gear cooler are under about 300 -400 PSI when operating which is why the hoses are actual hydraulic hoses with hydraulic fittings..

THe other hoses, the tank and the other pump driven off front of the engine by the belt[s] should have nothing to do with the gear box. Those hoses also look larger so maybe supply several items. Steering, bow and or stern thruster, fin stabilizers, hydraulic anchor windlass, lifting boom or dinghy lift? ?? THis system maybe or should also have an oil cooler but NOT tied to the geabox cooler oil circuit at all.

The steering is maybe less likely to be operated from this system. It can be hydraulic but not powered.

I could be wrong of course but you need to carefully trace the hoses to be sure. Make a dwg. but be carefull tracing as it can be quite easy to mistake one line for another if they are in close proximity.

But I seriously doubt that the gear box and the other hydraulic system are tied together in any manner except that they each have an oil cooler for their own, individual needs, with the only connection between is the seawater supply line.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:57 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by C lectric View Post
But I seriously doubt that the gear box and the other hydraulic system are tied together in any manner except that they each have an oil cooler for their own, individual needs, with the only connection between is the seawater supply line.
You were correct. Those hoses do go to a heat exchanger. I have one zinc there, which I have replaced. My mechanic pointed out that there are 3 more pencil zincs on the main engine, total of 4 in this system. I have replaced them all now. This can explain, why the zinc on the heat exchanger was gone only after few months. I need to pay more attention to these tiny zincs.
I took a photo of the hoses, just for entertainment.
Attached Thumbnails
ELiegKqWT4e6h7t0BlJK9A.jpg   c4poO3nEQOKZeos+0g1M7w.jpg