Old 05-26-2017, 02:03 PM   #1

City: Gustavus
Vessel Name: Troll Hunter
Vessel Model: Allweather
Emergency Diesel Stop Lanyard

I have a diesel with a mechanical pull cable to stop the engine. As far as I know there is no optional stop solenoid for it. The engine is a 3 cylinder Yanmar. I have two steering stations one inside and the other outside in the cockpit. I would like a lanyard stop system to stop the engine if I were to fall overboard. There is probably some way to install a stop solenoid and wire a kill switch like on outboards. I have also thought of fabricating a system using a spring and a pin that pulls out if it were jerked on. Any suggestions?
ak-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:14 PM   #2
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
We want pics of your Allweather! Those are small boats in a big way. I think Homers boat is still for sale. I see they lowered the price..
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:37 PM   #3

City: Gustavus
Vessel Name: Troll Hunter
Vessel Model: Allweather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
We want pics of your Allweather! Those are small boats in a big way. I think Homers boat is still for sale. I see they lowered the price..
The boat still hasn't launched. I bought it on blocks under a tarp. It is now on a trailer but still tarped. I worked on it all winter and still have some things to do and am working my other job full time now. Hopefully the tarp will come off soon.
ak-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:05 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
I'm sure if you're handy you can make one.

Here's one for the recreational market and some reviews. Good luck on the new boat!

Autotetherâ„¢ Marine: Lanyard-Free Wireless Boat Kill Switch - Autotether

https://www.boatus.org/findings/42/
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:55 PM   #5
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
You can make an electric kill setup easily with pull solenoid in line with the linkage. You have to make a bracket so the solenoid pulls the injector lever into the stop position and still has enough travel in the opposite direction to allow full throttle when not energized.
It can be wired with a kill button or with a momentary relay to engerize when the key is turned to off.
You need to measure the pull needed to move the injector pump lever to stop. Solenoids are made with different pull strengths. Ebay has many solenoids in 12 volt and many configurations, brackets. mountings and so on.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote