Go Back   Trawler Forum > Maintenance and Systems > Power Systems

Old 06-28-2014, 09:17 PM   #41
Vessel Name: Snow Mouse, Sanity
Vessel Model: BROOM 42, Birchwood 33
On a larger boat it makes sense but for the smaller guys like me. We're experimenting with Morse single lever with combined bow thruster controls to put a stop to the juggling match when tying up or manoeuvring in close quarters.
I agree that we all have a different take on life which is perfectly normal, some guys like loads of gizmo's but based on past experience I like to keep things simple so I'm self sufficient as much as possible maintenance wise and can fix a critical breakdown at sea.

Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:42 PM   #42
TF Site Team
City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I love my Morse controls, I love my Morse controls, I love my Morse controls... For little boat such as ours... Bum, Bum, Bum, Buuum!!!
Just remembered my Morse controls have not been trouble free over the last 30 years. I had to replace the red and black screw on knobs because on the upper helm the knobs had sort of faded in the sunlight.

Now with respect to my Microcommander unit on the auxiliary engine, let me count the ways.

By the way the Microcommander dealer finally came to replace the 3 inch drive belts on the actuator - only a 4 month delay, and I had the replacement belts as spares.

Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #43
City: Baytown TX
Vessel Name: Nebulae
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
I agree. I have a two station ZF Mathers and I also have a starboard engine that intermittently won't shift out of neutral. Currently, no one can isolate the problem... KISS has some merit.
Capt GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:44 PM   #44
Veteran Member
City: Geoje
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 31L
of course your boat, your money, your choice etc ... personally I cant see the point of moving away from mechanical controls, almost anyone can understand what is going on with them.... electronic controls the converse is true
stone beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:17 PM   #45
City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
We have a 20 year old Twin Disc electronic system on our NT that just packed it in and they no longer carry replacement parts for that vintage.
Their replacement (new) system is $12K just for parts so we have elected to go with a Kobelt mechanical twin lever controller for $650 & control cables for our single station vessel. The economics look much better, and any future issues, which shouldn't be for a very long time, will be easy to deal with.
Berthed in
Campbell River BC
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:18 AM   #46
City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Kobelt control heads and Green cablecraft shift cables and your done. No worries, no issues just bullet proof control of your transmission and throttles.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:45 AM   #47
City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
On our 1977 Tolly Tri Cabin:

We've the original Morse controls and cables. Fellow with same year identical boat just decided to put electronic shifters/throttle on his. So... I asked em - How's your original cables doen. He says... fine. I says... send em to me if you no longer want em. He says OK, if you'll pay shipping. I says plus $20 smackers for your time and trouble o' packaging.

Now I have two great condition cable systems. Redundancy = Safety/Longevity!

Every year or two (if I get bored in very early morn while on the hook) I remove covers and well lube control stations. In ten year intervals +/- I air pressure inject (force) lightweight lube into cable sheaths from fly bridge down and salon station down... until the lube seeps out at cable bottoms.

I tried to get the good condition bridge and salon Morse controls from the fellow too, but he'd already promised them to someone else.

I figure my boat's mechanical control setup will outlive us!

That taint at all bad!!

Taint broke - Don't fix it! KISS

Art is online now   Reply With Quote