Old 01-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #61
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. intjonn. Well, there you have it. By your own admission..."This technology already exists.......... solar panels, batteries, motors - they already exist!" Mr. Rick B. has graciously supplied you with a direct source for the SDV propulsion system and you seem to have a bevy of EE expertise...Soooooo, to quote Mr. psneeld "I'll be looking for the maiden voyage of your newbreaking trawler in the next couple of months ..."
Case closed IMHO and have at 'er boy...

Old 01-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #62
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
LOL, ...sometimes the loudest sound comes from the quiet kerplup of a door closing from the apathetic urge of a finger instead of an all-out slam. I think I just heard it.

healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #63
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. hh. Apathetic?

Awwww......
Old 01-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #64

City: seattle
Vessel Name: Angels 3
Vessel Model: U S Yacht 42
@IntJonn - Electric Motors for Trawlers with worldwide range

AC Electric motors can be used with frequency modulation for adjusting the speed/power to the prop.

We'll be using this concept when we install a 50 HP electric motor with an adaptor plate through the existing reverse gear to replace the 50 HP diesel in my 42ft US Yacht and the results should get over hull speed.

We'll be installing the new 50KW Plasma Engine Generator that is suggested to run for 3 to 4 years continous operation re-using inert gas for its power.

NO BATTERIES REQUIRED. We found the plasma engine generator at the consumer electronics show last week in Las Vegas.

Check it out on their Website: www.plasmicgen.com
boatrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #65
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
A 50 hp NEMA Class B motor is already 90% efficient. A high efficiency motor is around 93%. Premium efficiency ~95%. Do you really think that this crux of the problem with your solar powered trawler is with the super secret unattainable SEAL Delivery Vehicle motor?
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #66
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
The beauty of a project that requires unobtainium is that it removes the "put up" side of the equation.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #67
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
That is a bit of a harsh conclusion. I interviewed Raphael Domjan and his team for a yachting magazine article when the boat was in Miami and came away impressed with the man and his purpose, the crew, and his vessel.

It safely navigated more than 37,000 miles around the world on an average of about 25 horsepower day and night - it was far more than a "controlled drift." It was never intended to be a form of marine transportation, it was meant to be an example of what solar power and alternative thinking can do, and it performed that task admirably.

I suggest that before anyone dismiss the project, they spend some time reading about Domjan and why the boat was built and what he wanted it to show the world.
Good point Rick......It is always hard to decide how to characterize this type of stunt. On the one hand it is primary research that must be done to move forward, but on the other hand, "These are professional stunt drivers and don't try this at home folks."

As the Planet Solar project has been cited several times in this thread as a successful pure solar vessel, I wanted to emphasize that her actual use was pretty hairy......I read a number of the skipper's blog posts as the voyage took place, and he did a helliva job to get her around in one piece. But drifting towards a lee shore for days waiting for cloud cover to lift so you have power is not really workable for the average cruiser.....
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #68
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
If this guy wants to use technology that already exists, then why doesn't he round up some Plutonium and have that crew of engineers build a small reactor and then he can cruise for as long as he wants.
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #69
Enigma

Greetings,

Problem solved!
Old 01-20-2013, 11:44 PM   #70
Veteran Member

City: Santa Barbara, California
Vessel Name: Fleur De Lys
Vessel Model: 1988 Nova 36 Sundeck
Come on now, if you have all this brain power at your disposal someone must know about the first law of thermodynamics. Energy cannot be created or destroyed. So the plasma generator that can put out 50KW for 3 years without fuel must be using some sort of fusion or fission reaction. The only other possiblity is that they have done what Nikola Tesla was trying to do, Tap into the ether (nutrino flux)
Third-Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:57 PM   #71
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. T-R. "Energy cannot be created or destroyed." As far as we CURRENTLY assume...What about the interociter? As quoted from a Wiki article "There's no limit to what it could do."
Interocitor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I rest my case....
Old 01-21-2013, 12:52 AM   #72
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill29130 View Post
why doesn't he round up some Plutonium and have that crew of engineers build a small reactor and then he can cruise for as long as he wants.
The idea of our enquirer in charge of a nuclear reactor is not comforting.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:21 AM   #73
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
The only "heat problem" anyone had was from Chevron and GM attorneys filing patent infringement suits to prevent the commercialization of large NiMH cells and their application to automotive use.
The heat thing and how Tesla got around it was in a recent article about the lithium batteries and the current situation with the 787. The article didn't say anything about attorneys, only that the system of lithium battery packs used by Tesla avoids the high heat buildup during charging that can be problematic in large lithium batteries like the ones being used in the 787 and A350.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:26 AM   #74
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatrips View Post
AC Electric motors can be used with frequency modulation for adjusting the speed/power to the prop.

We'll be using this concept when we install a 50 HP electric motor with an adaptor plate through the existing reverse gear to replace the 50 HP diesel in my 42ft US Yacht and the results should get over hull speed.

We'll be installing the new 50KW Plasma Engine Generator that is suggested to run for 3 to 4 years continous operation re-using inert gas for its power.

NO BATTERIES REQUIRED. We found the plasma engine generator at the consumer electronics show last week in Las Vegas.

Check it out on their Website: www.plasmicgen.com
Thanks, but that website is pathetic, tells us nothing. Are we talking about a Papp engine?
From Papp to PlasmERG - The Convoluted History of the Noble Gas Engine
Old 01-21-2013, 05:56 AM   #75
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Third-Reef View Post
Come on now, if you have all this brain power at your disposal someone must know about the first law of thermodynamics.

There is probably enough around to know when there is a tongue in a poster's cheek.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:52 AM   #76
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
Oh my another one, in a few years I can see it now, driving up HWY 63 in his boat to Fort McMurray AB protesting the oilsands. Just remember intjonn make sure you are smarter than the rest, don't have any wood, fiberglass or plastic products onboard so that we end up laughing at you too. Most of these protesters come wearing clothes and driving big diesel trucks, so be a step above the rest when you get it all put together.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #77
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Another high school lurking Junior (or his/her teacher) has been unveiled. A few years ago one was posting on boatdiesel about building a trend setting fast boat, quickly being reminded Reggie and Don had already been there done that.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #78
Guru

Marin:
A friend who just bought a Tesla (!!!!!) tells me it runs on cell phone batteries - it is just that there are several hundred making up the floor of the vehicle.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #79
Veteran Member

City: newport
Good post, The OP started out with a electric boat with fold out solar and look how far the ideas strayed. My first thought was his electric boat towing a air craft carrier with a solar panel flight deck but now I want to convert the oceans surface into a solar panel, Now there's some food for thought
Craig Schreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #80
Guru

Or you could go for diesel powered space ship??

Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote