Or he was wasting our time!
Impossible sir!

what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:00 PM   #283
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
Not totally convinced that this was the 'method' of fuel creation,...or that is the thesis of these alternative explanations

I wonder if this is true also? Are there not alternative explanations for this higher oxygen than just huge numbers of trees?

I'm just asking, as I do not know, or remember from science/nature/history shows I am always attracted to.

PS: Do the ice core histories stored at the poles support the contention that oxygen levels were that much higher?

First of all I to am not totally convinced science has the right answers at this time regarding cude oil formation, coal formation yes, at the moment i believe it is a bit more complicated.

O2 is highly reactive so tends to decrease in atmospheric concentration forming oxides and other compounds over time unless replenished.
The best theory is that cyanobacteria proliferated in the early fertile seas and produced copious quantities of O2 leading to the evolution of primitive animal life in the seas. Since everything try's to disburse itself evenly the high o2 in the seas began to escape into the atmosphere untill the concentration reached a level at which marine life could begin to breath air and survive. By this time many plants had colonized the land producing even more o2 creating a lush habitat for animal life to move into. This set the stage for animals to grow legs and lungs and move into this lush land of plenty. This was the beginning of the period in earths history when most of the coal formation were formed. Would take many millions of years for the plant material to be compressed into coal. With such high o2 in the atmosphere animals could grow to huge size like dragonflies six feet across. Not possible for insect to grow large because of there physiology in low concentrations of o2 like we have today. So, now dragonflies are what three or four inches across. I'm not going to go into an explanation into the physiology of insects but I will say they do not have lungs. They also do not have blood all there organs are immersed in hemolymph. Air enters there bodies through spiracles and then into the tracheal system which goes everywhere like our cardio vascular system.

There is tons of fossils of huge insect during this period confirming that the free oxygen in the air must have been much much higher than it is today
Old 09-27-2015, 08:50 PM   #284

City: Caldwell
Manyboats - That's an interesting input about early heavy trucking in cities being done by electric trucks - unfortunately, cattle ranches, farms, most manufacturing plants aren't located in cities and our transcon diesel railways haul roughly one third of the nation's freight. The Geologist I spoke with about oil renewing was what he told me - I'll try to find a site that supports his view. Electrical is an interesting source of power and if or when it becomes economical and reliable, I'll be right there in line Until then, current technology is fossil-based as a majority source of transportation & there's nothing wrong with diesel-electric.
I'm really interested in the idea that started this thread - maybe some startling breakthrough or invention will come of all this discussion.
loadmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:55 PM   #285

City: Caldwell
I am in error in my reply to manyboats - it is for bfloyd4445.
Cheers )
loadmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:18 PM   #286
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
I drive a hybrid car (Volt, which I love, btw). I'm not trying to "show the way," save the planet or save money.
You are heavily subsidized by the government and its taxpayers. Think about it. Do you feel guilty or manipulated? I feel taken advantage of.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:22 PM   #287
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Until such time portable energy (batteries, home nuclear reactors etc.) achieves the energy density of fossil fuels, hydrocarbon products is what we'll be using.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:48 PM   #288
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
RT,
We're on the same page as I said that on post # 271.

And Marin likes his engines to make big noise.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:37 PM   #289
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadmat View Post
I am in error in my reply to manyboats - it is for bfloyd4445.
Cheers )
Thank you sir. ..
Old 09-27-2015, 11:40 PM   #290
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
First of all I to am not totally convinced science has the right answers at this time regarding cude oil formation, coal formation yes, at the moment i believe it is a bit more complicated.
That long video presentation link that I originally added to this conversation has been moved to here:
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ram-22475.html

It addresses the formation/origin of the different carbon based fuels. It also suggest some very high concentrations of atmospheric CO2 at the time.
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:17 AM   #291

City: Houston
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
You are heavily subsidized by the government and its taxpayers. Think about it. Do you feel guilty or manipulated? I feel taken advantage of.
Well, if you're not the beneficiary of some government subsidy (home ownership, health care, college loans, child care, child bearing, retirement savings, solar panels, etc., etc., etc.), you're the rare American.

Subsidies for oil: how about some 4,000 dead and 30,000 wounded Americans in Iraq. There are large numbers of homeless men on the streets of our cities; a disproportionate number of whom are veterans. Do you feel guilty? I do. We all should.

This is an argument you can't win.

But it also doesn't belong in this thread. I was simply responding to an earlier post claiming that hybrid car drivers are trying to "show the way," which also didn't belong in the thread.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:09 AM   #292
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. mb. Apologies for re-posting your statement. After 290+ posts, I've lost track.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:51 AM   #293
FF
Guru

I'm do not believe a single tea spoon of Irac oil has ever been imported to the USA.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:39 AM   #294
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. FF. "I'm do not believe a single tea spoon of Irac oil has ever been imported to the USA."
"The United States is the third-largest importer of Iraq's crude..." Taken from THIS article... Marcon International, Inc. - Ship Brokers & Marine Consultants - p
I strongly suggest you minimize getting your information from the "Baggers" and Faux news and have another couple of cups of coffee. Make it "high test".
Old 09-28-2015, 04:43 PM   #295
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
Well, if you're not the beneficiary of some government subsidy (home ownership, health care, college loans, child care, child bearing, retirement savings, solar panels, etc., etc., etc.), you're the rare American.

Subsidies for oil: how about some 4,000 dead and 30,000 wounded Americans in Iraq. There are large numbers of homeless men on the streets of our cities; a disproportionate number of whom are veterans. Do you feel guilty? I do. We all should.

This is an argument you can't win.

But it also doesn't belong in this thread. I was simply responding to an earlier post claiming that hybrid car drivers are trying to "show the way," which also didn't belong in the thread.
yes it belongs here as it involves the hidden costs of electric powered vessels.

Your first comment bashing Americans I'm sure is in reference to the United States. I'll address that issue in a moment but first i wish to remind you that most South and central American countries have huge subsidies for healthcare and because the people earn very low wages recieve very little tax money to pay for the subsidies. Many SA countries recieve large grants from the USA which I'm sure helps fund national health care and the militia for many of those countries.
In the USA most people pay taxes and own or are buying homes subject to taxation and pay for there own health care. If you are an illegal or have no income you can receive subsidized healthcare but if you work at all there is usually a charge based upon your income. All states to my knowledge have property taxes both for real estate and personal property like cars boats etc. The only free ride is for new illegal immigrants and others with no income, opps, and of course for politicians.

Thank you for pointing out one of the hidden cost of oil something most choose to ignore. There are many hidden costs in everything usually associated with the end of life cost for recycling used up consumer goods. This cost is often more than the original manufacturing costs. And, like with wars all of these manmade products also have a cost to be paid in human lives lost from the toxic substances they contain that are eventually find there way into the air we breath the water we drink and the food we eat.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:29 PM   #296
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Sorry to interrupt this interesting political thread with the topic.

Duffy Electric Boat Company - America's Electric Boat Since 1970
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Duffy_22_Cuddy_low_res_2013_white_1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	45047  
Old 09-28-2015, 08:47 PM   #297
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmeissner View Post
Sorry to interrupt this interesting political thread with the topic.

Duffy Electric Boat Company - America's Electric Boat Since 1970
Yes, Duffy a good company.

My post made no mention of political party or party policy only a generalization of overall taxation in the America's covering both North, South, and Central American.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:17 AM   #298
FF
Guru

Taken from THIS article... Marcon International, Inc. - Ship Brokers & Marine Consultants - p

AHH yes we take 14% if Iracs output which with our usual annual consumption cones to ???? %.of US consumption.

OK we get a tea cup , not a tea spoon.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:19 PM   #299

City: Kirkland
Rjtrane

What do you think about this new concept for batteries? It might take few years, but when it does, will you consider it?

https://9to5mac.com/2017/03/06/iphon...l-solid-state/
utazo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:30 PM   #300
Guru

Just got back from Equador and Panama where I saw an advert for "seawater batteries" for use with solar power generation. See attached article. May be the future for boating??
Lithium Sea Water Batteries

Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote