Electric Inboards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
haha, beer is good whats your typical beer buddy? All good points about electric over diesel.

What else?

Attachments

• z2-kokanee-beverage-packaging-design.jpg
    z2-kokanee-beverage-packaging-design.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 69
hmm never tried it......Come to think of it ive never actually seen it haha...Im a corona man myself and sam adams octoberfest when that time of year xomes around

If you're into sailing you could consider a hybrid sailboat. Most DC electric motors also function as a DC generator when you apply torque. When there is wind available you could sail and charge the batteries. That would at least provide enough charge to provide house power overnight. You could also use a small generator as backup power.

There are three problems with sail power (IMHO), (1) it is a lot of work and you have to sit in a miserable cockpit to tend the sails instead of a comfortable heated pilothouse (I'm tired of freezing my a$$ off), (2) the cost of sail and rigging maintenance, repair and replacement can easily exceed what you're saving on fuel (at least for a high performance Bermuda type rig, Junk sails and rigging are much cheaper but don't perform as well to windward), (3) the wind isn't very dependable in certain areas of the world or seasons.

My sails aren't overly efficient, but its set up to be self tacking so I can kick back in the pilot house even when singlehanded. Although my hull is fairly efficient, due to its soft chines it rolls a bit in a beam sea, but the sails steady itl out nicely. And - she's gaff rigged so there's not much heel.

All up it takes me less than 10 minutes on my own to rig things up, and I don't need to touch it until I drop the sails. Sure - I can tweak things to get an extra 1/4 or 1/2 knot, but usually don't bother. With our usual 20 knot breeze, I can get about 4-5 knots out of it under sail alone, 6 knots running on the 36hp Volvo, or just over 7 with both.

Although some folks want something faster or roomier, I can't think of a better suited boat for me (unless there was a electric version).
Hmmmm.... convert motor sailer to solar sailer. - Its got a ring to it.

I can't think of a better suited boat for me (unless there was a electric version).
Hmmmm.... convert motor sailer to solar sailer. - Its got a ring to it.
AusCan: That's not a ring you hear, it's an alarm for a Chinese fire drill about to happen. Seriously, you have the right boat if it's efficiency, quietness and super long range you are interested in. You've matched the right boat for your wants instead of trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Congrats!

Walt,

Thanks Walt
A well designed hull is required for good efficiency whether it be a diesel, gas, sail, electric, or steam powered boat.

When I started shopping for my boat I wasn't really sure what made a "good" hull for efficiency and seaworthiness. Thanks to many people on this forum such as yourself, who were more experienced in boat design criteria, I was able to glean enough knowledge to make a good choice. Thank you all.

I ended up with a boat with great bones, and any time & money I invest in it will be worthwhile. (at least to me)

She may end up electric, but I am in no rush to convert. With the speed at which solar panels, batteries and electric motors are developing, if the volvo hangs in for few years, I may be able to get the same 36 hp going electric, at a cost equal to a new diesel.
In the meantime, I'm happy putting along as I am, and picking up further knowledge from the TF knowledge base before taking the next step.

Back
Top Bottom