Early 70s Perkins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Northern Lights II
Vessel Make
Bayliner 3870
A friend is looking at a boat with a seized 6 cylinder turbo charged Perkins. The owner says its a 140 HP, that is about all the info he has at this time. Can anyone make a educated guess as to model & more important than that is the availability of parts to overhaul it if he goes thru with a purchase? Thank you

Perkins made two turbo versions ... T6-354 and an HT6-354 The H meaning "horizontal" like an old Chrysler slant six.

Both of these engines were made in 3-ring and the more rare 5-ring versions. The 5 ring version they are pure gold as they were originally built as continuous run generators and will give 20k hours easily. both were also used in industrial and farm equipment (tractors etc.) The 3-ring version should be good for about 12k hours.

The only way to find out if it is a 3 or 5 ring is to get the serial number (on the block at the injection pump) and call Perkins in England .... or you could remove a piston and look :)

It is most likely 145hp but could be 165hp. I forget the website but free service manuals and parts manuals are available on line.

Parts are readily available through most farm equipment places or through Trans Atlantic Diesel

The photo below is my 1971 HT-354

Attachments

• ENGINE EEEEE.jpg
    ENGINE EEEEE.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Talked to him today after he talked to the mechanic who pulled the engine. It is a 6T-354, a battery fell over & the + post landed on a oil cooler line. It lost all the oil & seized, block & crank are ruined. So now the search is on for a replacement. Thanks BoatPoker appreciate the help.

Found a good running takeout, it's been run on a dyno with no issues. Price is $5000.00 or a remanned for $10,000 & the dealer will switch over all the marine parts with no extra charge. The runner has 3500 hours on it & the seized engine has new injectors & rebuilt pump, so may pay to have them switched over. If this comes together we'll be making a trip done the river from Redwing in May. Still have to decide if to bring it down on 1 engine or have the new one installed in that area. Any suggestions on a marina or yard in the area that do quality work without padding the tab on someone they'll never see again?

Why not take the time to have all the work completed at your home port.Problems on the road are always more money and like you say, they will never see you again. Keep as many parts as you can store. Once the work is complete, you may think about an early oil change to clear any debris. Look at the time you will need to clean and paint under your engine. You stand a good chance of finding others items needed to insure a safe trip. Good luck.

Why not take the time to have all the work completed at your home port.Problems on the road are always more money and like you say, they will never see you again. Keep as many parts as you can store. Once the work is complete, you may think about an early oil change to clear any debris. Look at the time you will need to clean and paint under your engine. You stand a good chance of finding others items needed to insure a safe trip. Good luck.

I've thought of suggesting to my friend that hauling it down on a truck might be best. But knowing him there is no way he'll pass up a chance to do a river trip. The boat is a aluminium Kings Craft 44' houseboat no paint in the bilge but it will need a good cleaning after 2 - 3 gallons of oil ran into the bilge. I'am leaning to the 1 engine trip so that we can do the work at our marina, but he has already contacted a yard near St. Louis about having it painted with algrip or emron so it may go straight there & have Port Charles do it all.

Back
Top Bottom