Old 07-25-2015, 08:02 AM   #41
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Not an expert on transmissions, so I will just addd that American Diesel strongly advised about running the BW tranny cooler with coolant versus raw water.

They do have a kit or components and advice how to convert the engine oil cooler to coolant.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:20 AM   #42
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
I would wrap the pipe and muffler ( but not bellows) with 5" exhaust wrap and cover with "Chill Seal".

Hamiltonmarine shows the 100' roll, 4" wide for $35. Good to 1000 degrees. They also sell the clear sealer for it. I have used "chill seal" on mine in the past. It is basically boiler lagging compound and makes a nice coating over the wrap. Roses machine shop in Gloucester sells it. Easy peasey for $50.
Was that Boston Beam trawler Whipples boat?

Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:45 AM   #43
Veteran Member

City: Washington Maine
I unfortunately don't know much about her war or prewar history. She apparently went back to fishing after the war in the North Sea and then was eventually sold to Norwegian owners. At some point after that she was repowered with a 1700hp Bergen diesel and a Hunsted CP propeller and the wheelhouse rebuilt. The work done when I was there was a set of sweep winches installed up under the whaleback and a curved bulwark around the aft end of the wheelhouse to pull bobbins up against, the net was then strapped in. She also had the hold modified to process and carry salt cod.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:31 AM   #44
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Not an expert on transmissions, so I will just addd that American Diesel strongly advised about running the BW tranny cooler with coolant versus raw water.

They do have a kit or components and advice how to convert the engine oil cooler to coolant.
I have set up a few BW trannies on small detroits that actually have a cooler built in for the gear, using coolant. Sort of a necessity when keel cooling. This makes the tranny run hot, case gets to around 190F with IR gun. Not sure what the specs are for the gear, but these were commercial boats and run hard and had no issues with tranny at all.

The guts of a BW are really the same stuff as the guts of a car auto tranny, those get real hot in comparison.

I like gears cooled with coolant, the higher temps keep condensation out and oil stays nice and clean. And we know how many gears have been killed by sea water coolers leaking.

I suspect gear temp specs are often set considering SW cooling was being used, and there 190F is indeed hot. I can't see any reason the guts themselves are sensitive to 190F, and experience has backed that up.

The OP has a little gear with no cooling, probably a Hurth/ZF mechanical box. Those can be fitted with a "patch" cooler, but probably not necessary.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:53 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Actually it's a Newage PRM 120, I've had and rebuilt a number of ZF/Hurth gears (I have four now) and I believe they're over rated. I've had better luck with Newage and Twin Disc /Technodrive.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:26 AM   #46
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Agreed, those little ZF/Hurth mechanical boxes SUCK. But they are cheap and not much else available for low hp.

Not familiar with the PRM 120. Is it hydraulic?
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:16 PM   #47
Veteran Member

The PRM 120 is mechanical as are the Twin Disc/Technodrive, they both use a cone type clutch instead of the ZF disc setup, much simpler and more reliable.