Old 07-13-2016, 02:40 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
can I come out now?

talk about kill the messenger! Sorry I hit a chord people, but the way it is sadly, is not the way it was.
It's all good.

I'm with BandB, rarely use generic. Haven't got the time to do the same job twice.

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:08 PM   #22

City: Bristol PA
My son and I restored 2 cars.. try.. just try and find OEM anything anymore is near impossible. We restored some old canoes. at least the wood came from Maine!

Old 07-13-2016, 03:24 PM   #23
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Nothing wrong with paying a premium for the manufacturers labled parts if you have the money to spend. At the same time, I don't mind buying parts from other providers. It all comes down to how critical the part is, it's complexity, the reputation of the off brand supplier, and the price difference.

FWIW, when I bought my boat there was a spare OEM raw water impeller on board and I tried to use it to replace the impeller. It would not fit. Finally realized that the splines on the impeller were not exactly sized correctly. I instead installed a much cheaper impeller from another manufacturer. It fit perfectly.

Just because it is stamped with the OEMs name and part number is no guarantee. However, I would agree with B that the odds are better that it will perform as advertised.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:13 PM   #24
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
I just called Cummins for price and availability on a fuel shut down solenoid for my 6BTA.
The quotes price was $351.00.
He was kind enough to give me the part number 3935649.
I found that part number on the internet for just under $35.00.
So, do you purchase the part sold by Cummins or one that is compatible?
I purchase $35 stop solenoids for my 6BT. They (2) failed in less than 250 hrs. I bought them an eBay. I also purchase fuel pumps , cheap on line. Two leaked out the priming leaver. I will only buy Cummins parts now. That stop solenoid price is high. I paid $125.
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:05 PM   #25

City: Marysville, Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
I spent over 30 years working in the auto parts business. I still remember one day a customer came in looking for some wheel bearings for his Ford vehicle. When I brought them out and opened the box, they were stamped "made in China" Well, he wanted nothing to do with them, and off he went to the Ford dealer to get the good ones. An hour later he was back to buy ours. The Ford part was also made in China, and a lot more money.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:13 PM   #26
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
I remember when I was a kid, "Made in Japan" was a sure sign of junk. 20 years ago, "Made in China" was viewed the same way. Yes, China still markets junk but also good quality items. IF the pseudo-Cummins part is, in fact, the one that will fit, I would spend the $35.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:39 PM   #27
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
I remember when I was a kid, "Made in Japan" was a sure sign of junk. 20 years ago, "Made in China" was viewed the same way. Yes, China still markets junk but also good quality items. IF the pseudo-Cummins part is, in fact, the one that will fit, I would spend the $35.
My thoughts exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I do not find it a no brainer at all. I see the cheap ebay parts shipped from China and of unknown quality and for me that's a no-brainer that I wouldn't go near them. Now, someone like Seahorse I would be far more likely to trust.
Download specs on my engine
Note the .com.au meaning Australian site.
http://www.cummins.com.au/wp-content...Spec-Sheet.pdf

Bottom of brochure shows
Attached Images

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:43 PM   #28
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
betcha the "Cummins"parts were made in China.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:30 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Right on boatpoker! I bought a stop/start solenoid from Cummins for my Onan(now Cummins). Came in a box emblazoned "Cummins Genuine Parts" etc and cost about $350. Get it out of the box, it`s made in China, by a different company.
Later someone on TF in sunny Qld. alerted me to one Ebay advertised as a replacement for the Cummins part number, at $60. Advert said it comes from China, it arrived in 1 day as there was local stock. It`s now a spare kept onboard, it looks the part, Cummins/Onan says if it plays up fit a new one.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:31 PM   #30

City: Bristol PA
Quote:
throwing gas on the fire!

Old 07-13-2016, 06:56 PM   #31
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Made in China isn't the issue. It's made in China by someone you don't know, imported by someone you don't know and never run through quality control by anyone you know you can trust. I'm glad fryedaze published his results. That's just what one often gets buying from an unknown ebay vendor.

I know some think manufacturers don't do a good enough job, but let me assure you that Cummins spends a lot of money in both quality control and quality assurance. They audit the process and then they check what is delivered to them. I'm sure they occasionally reject shipments.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:25 PM   #32
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. BB. Cummins "...spends a lot of money in both quality control and quality assurance." Fair enough but chances are that $35 part was made in the same factory as the $351 part and BOTH were sold by the factory for $10. So, one guy makes $25 profit and the other makes $341 profit-the cost of the quality control and assurance.

Ever buy anything with a lifetime guarantee? Is the product so good it never breaks or wears out OR is the profit margin so high that the seller can afford to replace the item 5X over under warranty and still come out ahead?

Anyone wear Oakley or Ray-Ban sunglasses? Those $200 Turbines or Chromance models came out of the factory in China @ $9.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:26 PM   #33
Guru

I love the "...I've purchased this part for "...$ less" comments.
One persons experience purchasing a part once or twice for anything means absolutely nothing statistically.
When you begin purchasing parts by the hundreds or thousands of items you begin to get a sense of what is happening out there. My shop purchased many millions of $'s in parts over the years and the lesson learned was that Original Equipment parts were hands down, the most reliable way to go. Speaking as the person who had to write the check when anything failed, my money is on O.E.
If you get away with playing Russian Roulette once or twice, my hat is off to you. Odds are you will loose at some point if you keep playing and it will be an ugly mess for somebody to have to clean up after! For my money, I would prefer to have Cummins backing up a failure than an anonymous eBay seller...
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:47 PM   #34
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Greetings,
Mr. BB. Cummins "...spends a lot of money in both quality control and quality assurance." Fair enough but chances are that $35 part was made in the same factory as the $351 part and BOTH were sold by the factory for $10. So, one guy makes $25 profit and the other makes $341 profit-the cost of the quality control and assurance.

Ever buy anything with a lifetime guarantee? Is the product so good it never breaks or wears out OR is the profit margin so high that the seller can afford to replace the item 5X over under warranty and still come out ahead?

Anyone wear Oakley or Ray-Ban sunglasses? Those $200 Turbines or Chromance models came out of the factory in China @ $9.
Mr. RT, the other way to look at it is Cummins gets the ones that pass quality control; ebay gets the ones that don't. 2 items made in the same factory is in no way a guarantee of same quality.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:59 PM   #35
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. OC. Agreed but is the QC worth the extra $300? Cummins seems to think so.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:04 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Greetings,

Oh yes...I've offered lifetime warranties because they cost virtually nothing on certain products.

But to the statement above. Chances are that isn't the case. There are hundreds to choose among and good companies spend a lot of time making sure the manufacturer can produce at the standard they require. There are quality production facilities in China and poor ones. Also, the facility making the Cummins part is probably checked periodically to be sure they're not private labeling or copying product. More likely the other one is a knockoff and it's possible to make it just as good. However, the one selling for $35 likely didn't spend time checking out the factory, didn't have one of their people on sight, didn't require regular quality reporting and didn't check and test the finished product when it arrived. Now I think the $341 is high and it can be found from Cummins for less. I think however, it's total cost including manufacturing and quality efforts is substantially more than the $35 product. I can speak to other products with more specifics than I can to Cummins parts.

Counterfeit designer purses and accessories are found regularly. What typically tells the agent who catches them is the quality. Little things they see that the average consumer wouldn't notice at first. I can't look at two parts, one from Cummins and one from Ebay and tell you the difference, but an expert could with the right equipment. First thing would be simple things like comparing weight, then analyzing each element, things such as the metals used. Perhaps a pressure test.

It is 100% possible for someone to make an equivalent product and sell it for less than Cummins. Guess what I'm saying is that the guy selling it for $35 on Ebay hasn't likely done that.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:07 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Greetings,
Mr. OC. Agreed but is the QC worth the extra $300? Cummins seems to think so.
It's worth an infinite amount if the $35 one doesn't work, or worse, leads to damage. The $300 price does sound high and the $35 ridiculously low. I would more often expect the OEM part at $200 and I bet it can be purchased considerably cheaper than the $300. Then I would expect a high quality copy with equivalent materials, testing, but no Cummins overhead or advertising to be about $100.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:12 PM   #38
Guru

I'd encourage the OP to call some Cummins distributors and then some quality after market companies. I think you'll then see less disparity.

Cummins tends to quote full price so as not to undercut their distributors and approved sellers.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:12 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
The part he's referencing is a shut down solenoid.
That would be odd. The standard is a power on solenoid. Shut down style would have been an option.
Dodge Cummins pick ups use the same power on solenoid. Easy to source from most auto parts stores. More cost effective than marine.
That said when I had my Cmins 6bs Cummins parts were competitive.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:16 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
That would be odd. The standard is a power on solenoid. Shut down style would have been an option.
Dodge Cummins pick ups use the same power on solenoid. Easy to source from most auto parts stores. More cost effective than marine.
That said when I had my Cmins 6bs Cummins parts were competitive.
That was the part number he gave.